“One night stay - not bad for price”

Hotel Cigarral Domenico
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We got a really good deal for bed and breakfast at this hotel, we weren't totally unhappy with our stay, there were good and bad points, here are the main ones:

The hotel is set in a beautiful area, overlooking the city. You need to take a bus (€1.40 single journey per person) or taxi (around 8 euro single trip) across to the centre, particularly at night, as it is in a hilly area, so walking in the dark I think would be out of the question. This wasn't a problem for us, I think it's worth it for the views and we had only gone for the one night.

We were lucky enough to have the view of the city from our room, but really the view from the other side (over the hotel car park) is not bad either, the car park isn't unattractive and the surrounding areas are lovely.

The breakfast buffet was okay, not as good as some other continental breakfasts I've had - not as much choice of fresh fruits, cheeses and pastries, and not the nicest Spanish omelette I've tasted either.

The room was very clean but I would agree with other reviews that they could probably do with a bit of a revamp or even just a coat of paint. The shower wasn't brilliant, the shower attachment was very loose and difficult to keep in place.

There is a small balcony and I think it would be ideal if they placed a small table and chairs there to allow people to sit out and enjoy the views.

The hotel though is in traditional Spanish style so I wouldn't expect it to be overly modern.

The sleep quality wasn't too bad, it was hot so we had the air conditioning on most of the night and it's pretty noisy, so woke me up a few times.

My main complaint with regard to the hotel is that first of all we weren't told we had to book for dinner, and the restaurant was advertised as being open till 11.30pm. Although we weren't advised that we would need to reserve a table I called around 9pm to ask for a table at 10.30 on our return from the city centre. We hadn't got the impression that the hotel was very busy so didn't think there would be a problem, but the girl on reception told me they were full but would check and call me back. She called back five minutes later to say they were full and couldn't offer us a table. We went to the first restaurant we saw after that and actually ended up having a lovely meal. The restaurant is just at the other side of the footbridge coming from the city centre, called "La Venta San Martin". The service, quality, and cost was fantastic, I couldn't recommend it enough.

When we returned to the hotel, however, at around 11.15pm, we passed the restaurant, which was empty. We could see the terrace area of the restaurant from our room and it was only half full, with people still being served at that point. Although it worked out okay in the long run I was disappointed that the hotel could not give us a table for dinner given that they certainly weren't full. There was only myself, husband, and daughter, so I don't think it would have been out of the question to accommodate us.

Room Tip: I've given the rooms very good because although they could be doing with a coat of paint, the vi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Clare H

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have stayed at this hotel four times and have always been completely satisfied. The views of Toledo are breathtaking (ask for a second floor room overlooking the city)
The restaurant manager is superb, and we had a wonderful meal here with friends. We ordered a bottle of red wine, but as I was the only person eating fish the manager said that he would bring me a complimentary glass of white wine! At the end of the meal my husband ordered a Carajillo coffee which was the best he had ever tasted.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room overlooking the city.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 2 July 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL unless you have money to BURN!

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in June 2013. It has a great view of the city from the back (and if you have odd numbered rooms) and a nice spread for breakfast. The room is decent, not four star. The pool is nice and has a guard on duty.

On our stay we utilized the safe to store our valuable belongings, including our ipads, passports and money. We discovered, on our way out to Madrid, that we had about US$2,000 stolen from us from the safe. The money was stored in a black case that also had our passports. There was US currency and British pounds in an envelope. The pounds and the US$100 notes were all taken. The smaller US notes (about $160 total), an empty Euro envelope and our passports were still in the black case. Clearly the person who stole the money took their time to go through the contents and took only what they desired. I have written the hotel and have received no reply. I understand that theft happens at hotels, which is why I only stay at hotels with safes and utilize them. It seems that only few should have access to those safes and should be bonded.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL unless you have money to BURN!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KYungCPA
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We did not have a problem with our sat nav. The hotel is situated in Los Cigarellos, on the outskirts of Toledo - OK if you put this in your sat nav. Large clean rooms and don't be disappointed if when you reserve online you cannot get a town view room, as the back of the hotel looks over a rural landscape. Easy to drive into town, but also great fun getting on the local bus at he end of the road to the hotel. Friendly service throughout plus an excellent restaurant. Each May Day there is a local fiesta near the hotel where girls who ring the bell of the nearby refuge are reputed to marry that year. Fun and temporary bars! Ideal for Toledo trips.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christine-ed
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed for one night and everything was very good. We had a very nice meal in the restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms very clean and comfortable.Not the easiest of places to find if driving. The sat nav does not seem to recognise the position. It is about 10 minutes by car to the centre of Toledo. Overall would recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel is quiet, modern, clean and very friendly. Regardless of where your room is situated you only have to walk outside to admire the fantastic view of Toledo itself as the hotel is situated on a hill within a vineyard overlooking Toledo. An excellent hotel for either short or long stays. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Just a one night stop en route to the south, the USP of this property has to be the location. If you get a room at the rear of the hotel, you have a stunning view over the city of Toledo. It is just amazing. The hotel is large, but was very quiet on our stay. The reception staff were friendly and spoke much better English than my feeble Spanish. Clean, comfortable and well sized room. Plus a free bottle of Cava on ice in the room ready for us.
We had dinner in the restaurant, which was OK as we were travelling and didn't want to go out again, but nothing special - but the portions are huge (share a starter, don't have one each). Breakfast was good - large selection.

Another that is on the list to stay at again if in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear with a balcony overlooking the city
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple