“3 course lunch in a real restaurant with tablecloth in Toledo for 10 € wine included!”

Restaurante El Labrador
Reserve with
Restaurante El Labrador is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 426 Restaurants in Toledo
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is one of the many restaurants in this great little city offering a lunch set menu for 10 € including wine or beer.

Some of them charge 12 or even 14 € for exactly the same menu, with the same dishes, and I saw a place in Toledo where they add 4 € for the privilege of eating outside...

This is not the case here because they don't have a terrace anyway. So you must eat inside, in a REAL RESTAURANT with tablecloth and silverware, as I did on Thursday, June 6, 2013; on "D Day", a name that the majority of my students from the University never heard of...

As usual (but not always!) there are several choices in the 10 € menu for each of the three courses.

I started with a mixed salad: lettuce, tomato, boiled eggs (that I asked the waiter to take off so it would not be wasted) and tuna.

For the second course, I had a "venado en salsa" (Deer in sauce) with potatoes. This is one of the few places offering something out of the ordinary, and I only saw one restaurant offering rabbit in sauce. All others have the usual baked chicken, paella, pork or veal steak.

To finish, I had a "flan casero" (custard) which was not as good as the one I had the day before at the Cueva de Antolín in Alcalá de Henares, for which you may want to read my review.

Since they don't have a terrace, I had to have my espresso elsewhere because of my cigar.

But instead of just going around the corner, to the "Meson La Posta", where I had a good lunch the previous week (also for 10 €) followed by an excellent espresso for which I only paid 1.50 € (a review has been posted already), I made the mistake of going to a place called "Café & Té" on the main square, where I paid 2.20 € instead of 1.50 € for an espresso which was not better than the one of "La Posta".

Next to this expensive "Café & Té", there is a McDonald's where you may have a very good espresso for only 1 €, but you must go inside to order, then sit outside if you want to smoke; and once I already had turned on my cigar, I could not get in. Therefore, I had to go to a place offering service in the terrace.

Indeed, very few merchants are smart enough to have an outside window, like most Cuban places in Miami, where you may order your espresso from the sidewalk, while you are smoking. I only know one McDonald's with such a sidewalk window, but it is across from Atocha train station in Madrid.

This is a real problem in the US but not in Europe, where there are thousands of cafés with a terrace on which you just sit down and be served if you are smoking; except in Starbucks, where you must order inside (and pay more...) even if they have a terrace!

IN SHORT, this "Cervecería Restaurante El Labrador", only two blocks behind the McDonald's on the main square, offers an EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY in Toledo for a real meal in a real restaurant with tablecloth (not a paper napkin like in most places!) and silverware. Service is excellent and these folks, who are starting this business, deserve your visit.

• Visited June 2013