“3 star price, 4 star quality”

Cigarral de Caravantes
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed on the second floor, on room number 32, with the best views of Toledo from our balcony. I cannot think of any better sights from anywhere else. The Alcazar directly across our balcony, the majestic River Tajo to the right, the hotel's courtyard's fountain... whoever thought of the location of this property did a perfect job, there is simply no better place to witness the city of Toledo from your room, specially at night when all landmarks are lighted up.
We were welcomed by a very nice and professional receptionist that handled non stop incoming phone calls and managed to check us in at the same time gracefully, she even offered some treats to our dogs before we headed upstairs to our room.
The room we stayed in, room 32, was directly located above the lobby, and the only negative point of our stay was that we could hear everything from upstairs, even all the way down to the restaurant, located two floors below from the room, the noise would permeate the walls as if the guests were right there, by the room's door. Luckily sleep crept in quickly, after a busy day visiting the city, so this did not interfere with our rest, however, guests a bit more sensitive to noise need to stay away from rooms 32 and 33, the rest of the rooms seem to be quite distant from the lobby, so I guess the noise would not be an issue.
The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, small, private, with a lovely courtyard, a restaurant downstairs, but the best thing about the property are the views from any given point. All rooms offer a privileged view of Toledo, however, those on the upper floor, as it was our case, have even better sights of the city.
We had everything we needed in the spacious room, including a small fridge, and even two pairs of slippers in the closet!
The property is also located within walking distance to the city, although this is relative, walking distance for me is 30 minutes, other people might find it a bit far. Either way, the historic city center is only a few minutes away, and there is plenty of parking space everywhere around.
On a different note, the hotel seems to be surrounded by a few abandoned houses, giving it a bit of a ghostly atmosphere as soon as you leave the walls that surround the property, but other than that, nothing suggested that the area is not safe, maybe a bit isolated, if something.
We loved our stay and will book with them again without even bothering looking somewhere else.

Room Tip: As mentioned, rooms 32 and 33 are located directly above the lobby and can be a bit noisy, the rest...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We spent a lot of time deciding where to stay on our stop in Toledo ... why did we bother! This hotel could offer so much but when we arrived in the early evening of 29 September it was as if we had disturbed the receptionist from her nap. She showed us our room, gave us no information on the hotel (breakfast times, location of pool, restaurant etc.) and when we asked about dinner seemed to delight in telling us that the restaurant was closed on Sunday evenings. Once in our room we realised this was not the room (with balcony and panoramic view) we had reserved but we were told it was impossible to move us elsewhere as the hotel was full. (Just four cars in the car park made us question this and in the morning we were told this was in fact not true.) Our room was small and dark but comfortable. The bath grouting needed a good clean. The following day we were moved to a room in the main building with balcony and lovely view but absolutely no sound proofing! By 12.30am the sound of next door's very loud tv was getting to us and we asked reception if she could ring them to ask them to turn it down. Even though she admitted it was so loud she could hear it in reception she said she couldn't. Why not? We got to sleep just after 3am when they turned it off. Perhaps their receptionist's aren't trained in what the term 'service' means, or perhaps they just don't care. Visit Toledo it's glorious but find another place to stay.

Room Tip: It you must stay here ask for an annex room with a view (ie not blocked by foliage).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PennyandAdrian
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A really good value for money hotel. We walked downhill the 15 minutes walk into town, so we did not need our car. We had one of the lower cheaper rooms (number) 14, with a nice terrace, some shade from an olive tree and a nice view at the city of Toledo in the afternoon sun. However the rooms on the second floor may have an even better view. Very kind and helpful staff, although the not working WIFI password could not be solved by the ladies on duty during our two day stay.

Room Tip: second floor rooms for a nicer view room 14 is next to the dining terrace, so it might get noisy du...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Very good location just next to a historical bridge.
Has a decent swimming pool which is a blessing in hot Toledo in August.
Great service.
Nice lunch.
If you go to Toledo in (hot) summer and arrive at the train station: take a taxi, or ask the hotel which buses go there, or if you absolutely want to go by foot, cross the old city and then the bridge. Do not walk along the road on the opposite side of the old city, it will be hot and long.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room further away from the terrace.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Take a good photograph from this Hotel, we had room 18 which we found clean, tidy, comfortable, quiet and with an Olive tree outside it’s balcony so as to frame the sun rising behind the Alcazar and the Cathedral in Toledo Old Town. Breakfast was on par with other hotels, Cereal, Cheese, Croissants, Toast, Fruit, Pastries and the ever so obliging member of staff who could produce a tea pot with hot water upon request…….. In fact we found all the staff helpful as well as happy and good natured which somehow made the Hotel have a feel good factor about it.
As mentioned the room at night (Monday and Tuesday) possibly won the award for being the quietest hotel room ever, so cannot comment on other reviews who stayed over a weekend period.
The free parking was a bonus as it only took 15 minutes to walk down hill to the entrance of Toledo old town, but on the upside, because of its location on the outskirts of the town, the view from the Hotel was, in my opinion, better than that from the 'Parador' as it was certainly a case of ‘Less is Best’.
The mini bar where you could also store a carton of milk and your own bottle of wine, together with the ‘gratis’ deep safe so as to keep iPads, phones and other electrical’s safe, simply added to the comfort and peace of mind of staying at the Cigarral de Caravantes.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Sadly a bit of a hike into town and back particularly if the weather is very hot! We wimped out on the return and did take a taxi from the edge of the inner city. A dip in the small pool helped revive me!! However the hotel itself is very good with excellent front of house staff who dealt with my booking in an exceptional manner (not sure who 'midwestern_wanderer dealt with!!!). Room comfortable but would have preferred one of the main hotel rooms although mine was immediately adjacent and very comfortable with veranda and great view of Toledo. Breakfast was good but perhaps the highlight was dinner. A three course meal plus appetiser and coffee, bottle of still water and large glass of wine for €20 was excellent value and most enjoyable. Saved walking back to town!! Criticism, just one. Trying to get a pre dinner drink when staff were laying up tables was difficult. I would return and have recommended it to my Spain based family for their forthcoming visit as they can provide a family room with either cot or extra bed.

Room Tip: Upper floor of hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeP248
Reviewed 8 November 2012

What a disappointing experience. After spending hours researching the best hotel for our stay in Toledo, I picked this hotel with excitement. I booked with their online system through the hotel's website, which is not the most user-friendly, and informed that it was confirmed successfully and I would receive an email with my booking voucher by email. When I did not receive confirmation, I then contacted the hotel by phone to see if they had my reservation in their system. The woman who answered spoke only a few words of English, so between her English and my pitiful Spanish, all I could gather was they did not have my reservation under my name. I asked if there was someone who spoke English whom I could speak with and she said 'no' and seemed to just want to get me off the phone. Well, I gave up as the conversation was fruitless. Now I'm stuck without a reservation and not knowing if my credit card will be charged if I don't show up. Going to avoid this hotel and would recommend tourists to book a more friendly, multi-lingual hotel with a solid reservation system. Sorry, Cigarral de Caravantes, but you let me down.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple