“Great location, average room”
Review of Meson del Cid

Meson del Cid
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Burgos
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great location, average room”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at Meson del Cid for two nights. I booked via Expedia when I got my airline tickets. I assumed I would be given a room with a view. The front desk lady spoke very little English. I took the room that I was given and it did not have a view of the cathedral. I was not offered a view of the cathedral and don't know why. That's why I stayed there. I was very tired, however, so just took the room I was given; it was on the fifth floor (room 504).
I was not told that there was a restaurant on site. I had no idea. I wish I'd known!
The bed was comfortable. The a/c was not working. To cool the room, I had to open the windows and even on the fifth floor, the noise from the street below was tremendous. I arrived on a Friday and the nighttime noise...really loud. This is party central (and wedding central).

The wifi was terrible; I usually went to sit in the courtyard in front of the hotel in order to access wifi. This is not very convenient when a wedding reception is going on or when it's night and I'm in my jammies.

The bathroom door handle is one of those that if you accidentally walk too close, it will cut your arm. I bumped it twice. It's been almost 2 weeks and the injuries have not healed. I then wrapped a towel around the handle to prevent further damage to my arm.

The bathroom was spacious enough with a bidet. The bathtub had mold on the wall above it and the grout...a bit grungy. Otherwise, no complaints.
I slept well...but then, I took a sleeping pill on top of being exhausted.

It's an average hotel with an excellent view. I would stay there again if in Burgos...but would get a room with view on as high a floor as I could get (because of the noise).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Julie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The Mesón del Cid is a very nice hotel in a perfect location! It is adjacent to the beautiful Burgos Cathedral! Our room's large window balcony opened to a fabulous view of the cathedral and the square in front! We watched the cathedral at all times of day (sunlight changes) and watched a medieval play being practiced on the square. Everything was within walking distance of the hotel-- old city, main gate, river promenade, plazas, etc.
Breakfast was delicious with large selection of fruits, eggs, Spanish tortilla, pastries, breads, etc. and very good coffee. Of course, we had the wonderful view of the cathedral as we ate!
Room was very comfortable and meticulously clean.
Staff very helpful, including gentleman who personally came out to help me maneuver our car into their garage, and the girl who went out of her way to get us a bag of ice for a swollen knee.
Price for this hotel and its amenities was extremely reasonable!
Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Get one with a view of cathedral!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JAO738
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 October 2013

As we were a group of three, we were booked in a suite (I'm sure my bed was for a child). I opened my window and there was a fabulous view of Burgos Cathedral. However, that proximity was also a disadvantage, as we were in Burgos on a weekend, and the surroundings of the Cathedral constitute party-central. It was very noisy until about 1am. We had to shut the windows tight. There was also a wedding in the nearby church of ?St. Nicholas, and fireworks, and we were close observers to that event. Very many plazas and restaurants within 5 minutes walk.
The bedroom itself was cosy and the large bathroom had all the amenities. The staff were very helpful in upgrading our room for an extra 10 euros (if I remember right). The hotel is right by the Camino de Santiago, and it was easy enough to get going the next morning.
The decor to the lobby featured many antiques and you felt transported into the time of El Cid. (corny but true).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Cathedral...but only if you're in Burgos on a weeknight.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Lovely hotel that faces the Plaza in front of the gorgeous Cathedral in Burgos Spain. Kind and trustworthy staff. Efficient check in and payment policy. Suggest you pay the extra 10 Euros for a view of the Cathedral which remains lighted until late at night. Clean and lovely room.Large bathroom, plenty of towels. Remodeled room with antique replicas in beautiful historic building. We stayed in the building that shares a wall with the historic church. (this is a two building complex, immediately next door to each other) Press the buzzer at the door and easy and secure access to the beautiful lobby and halls. Highly recommend this hotel. Very quiet room, thick walls in this ancient building. Perfect location in Burgos.

Room Tip: Pay the extra 10 Euros for a room facing the Plaza and Cathedral.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
worcestershire
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A very nice old building but you need to get your bearings when you get here as the hotel is on 2 levels and on both sides of the pedestrianized road. The rooms are very nice, traditionally furnished with a good large bathroom. It really is as handy as can be for the cathedral and town centre with no traffic anywhere near. It also has a handy underground car park and all in all is the most amazing value for money hotel you could find.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had room 205 and loved it. It was a corner room, with traditional furniture, lace curtains and french doors that opened to a teeny balcony (you couldn’t step out on it). The room faced the side entrance of the Cathedral as well as a pedestrian area. It had excellent lighting for reading and lots of open electrical outlets. There was good hot water and water pressure. Bathroom amenities were completely replaced each day (I stayed two nights). There weren’t many places to hang clothes in the bathroom, so a clothesline would be handy. Of special note (and rare these days), the hangers detached from the closet!

Reception staff is friendly and helpful.

The only minor inconveniences were that the breakfast area is directly below this room and there was some noise early in the morning.

The location is excellent - steps from the Cathedral and the pedestrian shopping streets. I also enjoyed visiting the Monastery de las Huelgas - about a 20 min. walk but I took the bus back.

Make sure you book a view room - it is worth it!

Room Tip: You will want a room with a view of the Cathedral. The more of the building you can see, the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beaten. We had a suite on the top floor looking out onto the cathedral which was really lovely. While the hotel is old it is clean and full of character. It is a short walk to many restaurants and bars and also to the river and the castle ruins on the hill above the town. Perfect for a stopover in Burgos.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with a view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple