“Loved this town and hotel”
Review of Meson del Cid

Meson del Cid
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Burgos
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Burgos - what a wonderful, and easy to look around, town in northern Spain. We were very lucky to have a room at Meson El Cid that overlooked the Cathedral - it's magnificent and well worth a visit to Burgos. Breakfast - very nice. Burgos is a quiet spot and very enjoyable for a couple of nights. We dined at a little restaurant in the large square not far from the hotel - sorry, but can't remember the name of the restaurant but it is very modern and has a separate and very noticeable, fully glassed dining area outside the main restaurant, in the square - try their entre of salad/hot vegetables/grilled goats cheese.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the cathedral - it's a sight to behold.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 December 2013

After a prior trip to Burgos i really wanted to stay at this hotel.

Maybe we were just unlucky, we didn't book prior to our arrival on our return home in Southern Spain from France in September. It was my birthday and I intended to stay for 3 nights

. One was enough. We were in a horrid little room, bed like a board, no view and it stank, the strench came the bathroom.

I was up at 7am and checked out asap, just after 9am.

Maybe I just had a bad experience but Burgos is still wonderful

Room Tip: Do your homework
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scham_13
Reviewed 10 November 2013

If Burgos is in your destination you should stay in Meson del Cid. I stayed just one night.
The staff members were always helpful ,smiling and i wished we had stayed longer.
The hotel is charming and the sensation of staying in front of the catedral is unique.
Special thanks to Carmen
Loved everything!

Room Tip: my room was 504 and it was great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel is on the main square with a dynamite view of the cathedral. The lobby is large and spacious, there is a good restaurant attached to the hotel. Our room, at the front of the hotel, looked out on the cathedral. The room itself was marginal - small, hard bed, hard pillow, not much electric light. Somehow that didn't matter!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at Meson del Cid for two nights. I booked via Expedia when I got my airline tickets. I assumed I would be given a room with a view. The front desk lady spoke very little English. I took the room that I was given and it did not have a view of the cathedral. I was not offered a view of the cathedral and don't know why. That's why I stayed there. I was very tired, however, so just took the room I was given; it was on the fifth floor (room 504).
I was not told that there was a restaurant on site. I had no idea. I wish I'd known!
The bed was comfortable. The a/c was not working. To cool the room, I had to open the windows and even on the fifth floor, the noise from the street below was tremendous. I arrived on a Friday and the nighttime noise...really loud. This is party central (and wedding central).

The wifi was terrible; I usually went to sit in the courtyard in front of the hotel in order to access wifi. This is not very convenient when a wedding reception is going on or when it's night and I'm in my jammies.

The bathroom door handle is one of those that if you accidentally walk too close, it will cut your arm. I bumped it twice. It's been almost 2 weeks and the injuries have not healed. I then wrapped a towel around the handle to prevent further damage to my arm.

The bathroom was spacious enough with a bidet. The bathtub had mold on the wall above it and the grout...a bit grungy. Otherwise, no complaints.
I slept well...but then, I took a sleeping pill on top of being exhausted.

It's an average hotel with an excellent view. I would stay there again if in Burgos...but would get a room with view on as high a floor as I could get (because of the noise).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Julie D
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The Mesón del Cid is a very nice hotel in a perfect location! It is adjacent to the beautiful Burgos Cathedral! Our room's large window balcony opened to a fabulous view of the cathedral and the square in front! We watched the cathedral at all times of day (sunlight changes) and watched a medieval play being practiced on the square. Everything was within walking distance of the hotel-- old city, main gate, river promenade, plazas, etc.
Breakfast was delicious with large selection of fruits, eggs, Spanish tortilla, pastries, breads, etc. and very good coffee. Of course, we had the wonderful view of the cathedral as we ate!
Room was very comfortable and meticulously clean.
Staff very helpful, including gentleman who personally came out to help me maneuver our car into their garage, and the girl who went out of her way to get us a bag of ice for a swollen knee.
Price for this hotel and its amenities was extremely reasonable!
Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Get one with a view of cathedral!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JAO738
Reviewed 11 October 2013

As we were a group of three, we were booked in a suite (I'm sure my bed was for a child). I opened my window and there was a fabulous view of Burgos Cathedral. However, that proximity was also a disadvantage, as we were in Burgos on a weekend, and the surroundings of the Cathedral constitute party-central. It was very noisy until about 1am. We had to shut the windows tight. There was also a wedding in the nearby church of ?St. Nicholas, and fireworks, and we were close observers to that event. Very many plazas and restaurants within 5 minutes walk.
The bedroom itself was cosy and the large bathroom had all the amenities. The staff were very helpful in upgrading our room for an extra 10 euros (if I remember right). The hotel is right by the Camino de Santiago, and it was easy enough to get going the next morning.
The decor to the lobby featured many antiques and you felt transported into the time of El Cid. (corny but true).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Cathedral...but only if you're in Burgos on a weeknight.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends