“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Burgos
Tipperary
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 8 June 2007

I booked this hotel on the strength of the reviews I read in TripAdvisor but I found that it did not live up to my expectations at all. While it is in an historic building, the interior is ultra modern and minimalist and pretty soulless on the whole. There was a wedding on the night we were staying and the room we were given was right over the ballroom so needless to say we got next to no sleep. I would have thought the hotel would have assigned rooms to people not in the wedding party to a quieter part of the hotel. The prices in the bar were incredibly expensive - €13 for a sandwich! - and I thought overall the hotel was not good value for money. It is very well located in Burgos but lacks any atmosphere at all. Just one more thing, ask for a non smoking room if the smell of cigarettes bothers you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Soul-less interior
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
NJ
Reviewed 26 January 2007

I stayed at the Palacio de la Merced on August 2006 for 2 nights. The room was very comfortable and clean, the bathroom very modern and good size.

The staff was ok, didn't go out of their way to offer suggestions as to where to go, etc.

The 2nd night I decided to stay and have dinner at the hotel restaurant as it was very cold( in August!!) . The restaurant was lovely but very expensive. There was only one other table occupied besides me. The food was ok but overpriced.

For the price I think it was an excellent hotel.

• Liked — Modern bedroom and bathroom
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 January 2007

This place is a real treasure. We booked a suite for 5 days and every time we came back from a day tour, we could not help thinking how lucky we were. Over the years, I have visited several boutique hotels, stayed at hip places and 5 star properties but I have hardly been this impressed : there is a sense of detail and research for perfection in every corner of the suite. This is not a luxury hotel, but a succesfull combination of tradition and modernity with constant research for excellence. Staff is always eager to help you and they are very efficient. The furnishing was great, the lightning was excellent (makes a change with many hotels visited before), we had 2 bathrooms, an incredibly comfi bed, 3 sofas, several seating, 1 desk and soundproof could hardly be beaten. Views on the cathedral from both windows were great. Breakfast was just perfect. All in one, an oustanding experience I would strongly recommend to anyone in search for peace and harmony when travelling abroad for leisure.

• Liked — peaceful atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a suite
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Supermercado
London, UK
Reviewed 1 December 2006

I visited Burgos for three days to visit some nearby relatives in November. Following the reviews in here, I was looking forward to staying at the Palacio de la Merced.
I have mixed feelings about this hotel.
Good points: beautiful building, very well preserved, and very close to the old part of Burgos and the river.
But I also have to mention some bad points:
-There is a parking in the hotel charged at 15 euros per day.
Those of you with large cars will notice the car park is quite small, and parking spaces a challenge!
Remember to 'validate' your parking card at reception every time you leave the carpark (this wasn't explained to me when we arrived). Also bear in mind when you arrive that you can go into the car park straight away taking a ticket, and then access the hotel directly through the lift (as opposed to what I did, double parking in a busy road only to find out I could have parked inside!).
-The double room we were given was lovely and spacious, and very clean. Air conditioning was available in the room.
However, there were no means of ventilation in the bathroom (no window or fan), or in the area between the room and the bathroom, which had a large mirror and wardrobe and basins. The mirror was heated from behind, which made it even hotter.
This means ladies with frizzy hair like mine will have trouble taking a shower and then keeping their hair straight after blow drying it in a damp room!
-We were given a room with views to the back, which looked at the back of some flats and a car park.
Remember to ask for a room with windows to the river.
-The lighting in the room consisted of lots of indirect lights, which were very nice for ambient lighting in the main room. However, the same low lighting was applied to the mirror area, and it was too dark to see yourself brushing your teeth!
So overall I was dissapointed with a four star hotel which I expected could have been designed better.
The staff were polite, but not particularly friendly towards us.
They offered us the 'NH World' card on repeated occasions, only to be unable to give us a copy of the card's terms and conditions before signing the 'contract'. This just showed a general disinterest and lack of detail in their part, which was reflected in other things throughout our stay.
Next time I visit the beautiful Burgos I will look at other hotels...
I hope this helps!
Maria

• Liked — The architecture, it's an old monastery
  • Disliked — The design and layout of the room and unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a room with views to the river!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Ladypepa
Derby, UK
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Quite simply a great hotel. The hotel is beautiful, interesting architecture and is modern and classy. The rooms are lovely and a very good size.

The staff are friendly and the location is great, just across from the old time.

Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed August 2006
London
Reviewed 8 July 2006

This hotel is simply stunning and very comfortable. It even offers a choice of pillows, from soft, medium and hard. My husband and I stayed here for one night as part of our Northern Spain honeymoon. It is a short walk from the old town and main shopping strip. It is only 5 mins walk to the incredibly beautiful cathederal too.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank Pezza76
NB, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2006

This is a gorgeous Hotel almost directly across the river from the main Cathedral (so if you're looking for it, find the Church, the river and look for the hotel). Very clean with amaizng 'bones', this archetechural dream has a great location in addition to it's very helpful staff. We were met by the bellman (by accident) in the parking garage and he insisted that he take everyone of our 14 bags up to our rooms...no hassle for us. Later in the evening, we requested wine glasses from room service and they delivered some very high quality ones along with some olives (as it was obvious we were going to drink a few bottles of wine).

We stayed in their junior suites for a small upgrade in price that was well worth it. I don't know what the base rooms are like but the suites are beautiful. Very upscale and modern bathrooms, hardwood floors, separate living area, etc.

We didn't expect to pay the rather high cost for the breakfast buffet but those in our group that did were treated to the best hotel breakfast ever...pricey but worth it...just remember that you have to custom order (at no extra charge) any eggs that you want.

An absolutely wonderful hotel experience.

• Stayed May 2006