“Good location, but...”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Leon
Berkshire
“Good location, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Arrived here unplanned one afternoon in early June 2012 on a motorcycle trip, having found the number in a guide book. The central location is great for a short stay as its really close to the pedestrianised historic area. That does mean parking is an issue though, even for motorcyclists. The hotel was hard to find despite being in a major location and signposted (we went round 3 times before we spotted the sign then the entrance) but once inside it has a lovely ground-to-roof atrium and a nice decor.

The middle-aged male receptist was deliberately rude though, doing that "I'm going to finish my paperwork before I even look up and say hello" routine beloved of the small-minded, and being mildly iritated from there on. The rooms are quite nice though, we had one overlooking the street but it wasn't noisy as long as the window was shut (more on that later).

After wandering round the town we decided to have an early nightcap at the hotel bar, only to be advised it had just closed at 9PM and we should use the mini-bar, annoying. We could have gone back out I guess as everything else was still open including other hotel bars, but after struggling with the unusably useless hotel internet we retired anyway.

However the room was now stifling, the aircon didn't work and the control had no lights on. After notifying reception I was called back and told it was now working. Well there was power to the control now (do they turn it OFF to conserve power?), but nothing was happening apart from a barely discernable breath from the ceiling vent. After a room visit from a member of staff and some more phone calls they said I could change rooms, but the housemaid took me to another empty room and demonstrated that the aircon didn't work any better THERE either. We slept fitfully with the window open.

When I checked out the next day I politely pointed out the issues I'd had (they threw in the mini-bar drinks) and was an hour down the road to the ferry before I realised that my passport wasn't in the usual jacket pocket. Mr RudeReceptionist hadn't given it back after photocopying it on check-in. Classic.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grahampm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is a charming Art Deco building, somewhat stark and monolithic from the outside but with warm organic unity inside. Designed by a local architect Francisco Javier Sanz Martínez in 1928 and renovated sympathetically by Mariano Sáenz de Miera in 1994. it has 60 rooms on eight floors clustered around a central atrium. Rooms and public spaces are immaculate and comfortably furnished with consistent detail throughout. If you like Art Deco you will love it.
The self-effacing front door is virtually impossible to find without guidance, on a very busy one-way street with limited parking. Having unloaded your bags there is a large, secure public car park on the other side of the large roundabout which the hotel faces. After one or two tries the one-way navigation gets easier.The young ladies on Reception are charming and speak good English.
We slept well: you are in a city centre but we heard little traffic although revelers did pass at different times. Breakfast was ample and varied.
Ideally located for easy access to the main sights of this interesting city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Galway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

The room and hotel was fine and the location was great. The reception staff on arrival were more than rude and it appeared that we were an inconvenience as he snapped for passports etc. It was not a pleasant stay and I won't be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mfxGalway
County Mayo, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Firstly, I'll get the positives out of the way - the hotel is in a good location in the centre of Leon, although it's a bit of a walk to train and bus stations (10-15 minutes at least). Rooms are adequate, with all facilities, but small, and not exactly luxurious. There aren't really any more positives to add! due to the layout of the hotel, it is really noisy and every sound made down in reception is magnified. As the bedroom doors open into the main landingonevery level, light shines in even when the door is closed - not ideal if you like a dark room. We were woken at 5am by someone wearing stilletoes in the room above - there is clearly no soundproofing! I can't comment on the food, as we didn't eat there.

To top it all off, the man working at reception when we arrived was, quite frankly the rudest member of staff we have ever encountered in a hotel. His attitude, unhelpfulness and lack of manners were appalling, and for that reason alone I would recommend you steer well clear of this hotel when looking for somewhere to stay in Leon.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anne Marie F
La Coruna, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed for just one Friday night, as we got to Leon for a wedding. The hotel is easy to reach and right in the center of the city. Thay have a parking but it is in a separate building right across the street and it is not suitable for very large cars (anything bigger than a 00' Audi A6 may mean trouble getting in and out).
The reception is about six steps above the street level and there was no ramp in sight. Keep it in mind if you use a wheelchair or baby car. They may have some alternative access but I could not see it, so it is definitely worth asking in advance if you need that.
Staff was kind and efficient, and we checked-in in a minute.
Interiors are nice showing a mix of traditional and modern features. The room was spacious and had a very nice view of Santo Domingo Circus. We could see that many rooms enjoyed that kind of view.
It was also comfortable and with a nice set of amenities as expected for the hotel rating. However, furniture looked a bit dated and I expected it to be better looking.
Overall, a good choice with some minor flaws, already mentioned.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trifasik
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

They couldn't park my car as it was too big (BMW 320)? the room was not clean, ripped sheets, restaurant was over priced. I can't believe this place is on the Expedia recommended list.

• Stayed July 2011
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in June and the hotel was just perfect. It has the best location, walking distance from "El Humedo" and the Cathedral. The room was very comfortable and had a little living room. It was also perfectly clean. My only complaint would be that since it was summer, it was hot and the air conditioning in the room was not working properly, the room was always hot. I did want to comment on the fact that I lost my cell phone which I left in the room by accident and noticed it when I was already on the plain back to Barcelona. I called the hotel and they took my cell phone and sent it next day. The next morning it was in my hotel at 8:00AM! Now that is called SERVICE! Thank you very much. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Leon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple