“Some very good points; some not so good....overall: thumbs up!”
Review of La Posada Regia

La Posada Regia
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Leon
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The location of La Posada Regia is great, if you arrive by bus or train, it is about 10-15 easy walk, easy to find. If you arrive by car, the zone is pedestrianized so arrange in advance parking. Leon is a very walkable city and this hotel is very well located to explore the town. The building is a historical building so the creeking wooden floors and old fashioned lock doors are somewhat justified. The furniture in the hotel aims to convey antique decoration, but I was left wondering if they were just second hand furniture that the hotel was trying to slide in as "ambiance". Some of the tables looked like trash, seriously....there is a line between an antique look and a shabby look. I had a chance to look at 3 different rooms; in some rooms the old ambiance was done very well, some others (individual rooms), it was just too obviously second hand furniture...Breakfast was varied and fresh, with attentive staff. I had a room above the restaurant; noisy with windows open till wee hours. However, with windows closed it was much less of an issue. I note this if visiting in the summer months when keeping the window/balcony door open is a MUST. The Front Desk advised me upon check-in that credit card machine was NOT working, so I needed to pay in cash. Upon check-in the man before me paid by credit card and so did I, even though the atttendant asked for cash. I suspect many establishments in Spain prefer cash (no comission to pay the CC) and tell the customer the machine is not working.... just a thought. Overall, great location, would stay there again, but would not pay more than what I did (50 Euros/night). Strong wi-fi in the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank NYChichi

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I spent one night at Posada Regia while walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. We arrived in Leon by bus and it was a 15 minute uphill walk up Avenida Ordoño II from the bus/railway station to this nice hotel. We had a bit of trouble finding the hotel, but I blame it on inattentiveness on our part. Please note that Avenida Ordoño II turns into Calle Ancha, make a right turn on to Calle Regidores and you will see the main building of the Posada Regia directly on your right hand side. Once settled, you can keep walking uphill and the Leon’s Cathedral (Santa Maria de Regla) is 5 minutes away.

We did not have a reservation coming in to Leon and we were happy the staff could accommodate us. We were lodged in an overflow building (across the street and 100 ft. up an alley). At first I was worried we were not in the main building. But the building we were housed in was secure and our room was very nice. I found the room to be a good size, quiet and clean. Our bathroom had double sinks, a cute corner tub, plenty of hot water, good water pressure and big, fluffy towels. We also had an enclosed Juliet balcony! The WiFi signal was strong in our room, but the downstairs desktop computer for guest’s use was antiquated and barely working.

The staff was polite and very business-like. We paid for breakfast and the only complaint I had about it was the fellow guest’s actions regarding buffet etiquette. The one staff person working the buffet was running herself ragged trying to meet the 12 tables of patron’s demands. I did not have dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, as the hotel is dead-center in Leon’s restaurant area!

Nothing to do with the hotel, but it could affect your visit to Leon… the Tourist Office by Leon’s Cathedral was one of the worst I have ever encountered in Europe. (When it was open… and I asked for suggested city sights I received a curt answer that consisted of just restaurant advice and then I was directed across the plaza to the cathedral… period… no other suggestions. I found these additional sites interesting:
#1) Cathedral of Leon (Santa Maria de Regla)
#2) Royal Pantheon/Basilica San Isidoro
#3) Leon Parador/Antiguo Convento de San Marcos
#4) City walls and gates

Room Tip: I liked the quiet of the overflow building rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NJoisygirl
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Great location, friendly staff and if you are lucky, a nice size room. I had room 301 which was on the top level. Other reviewers have mentioned the small dormer windows. They are correct. But the room was large in comparison with other rooms on the floor, comfortable well appointed and well lit for reading. There are lots of electrical outlets and you don’t have to unplug anything to use them. Air conditioning is needed on this level and it worked fine. I left it on all day and the room was always comfortable. The bathroom is good size with a sizable triangular tub. The embroidered bed linens felt wonderful and the extra large and fluffy bath sheets were very unexpected. I never heard any street noise, but did hear water running in the adjacent room.

The breakfast buffet was average - but with delicious fresh squeezed orange juice. The coffee was good too. Most of the buffet is set out, and they will bring the coffee and juice to your table.

I would stay here again. If you don’t mind a window high up, this is a good room to get on the third floor of the main building.

Room Tip: Some rooms are small. Maybe ask to see a few rooms before accepting one.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We arrived by train and it was a convenient 15 minute walk from the railway station to this nice hotel. But we had received an e-mail to wish us welcome and give us instructions in finding the hotel even before our arrival. So we felt very welcome, and the staff was also very nice when we arrived. The building is in the pedestrian area very close to the cathedral and to many bars and restaurants. Of course this makes the area somewhat noisy at night, so if you want to make sure that you can sleep at night you should reserve a room with an air conditioning for a small extra charge. We did, but since the weather was not very warm we never actually used it.
Our room was at the top floor, and it was quite small with only a small window which you had to climb up on a chair to be able to look out through. But the room was very nice and also had a minibar and a pleasant bathroom.
In the morning we had breakfast that was included in our price, and it was very good. I really recommend this hotel if you want to stay close to all sights and feel that you are a part of this pleasant city.

Room Tip: Pay a few extra euros for a room with air conditioning!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Spent one night here during our trek of El Camino de Santiago. Older hotel, but excellent facilities. Meals outstanding. Service excellent. Only negative was the street noise, which was loud and amplified by the narrow streets lined by stone buildings--loud enough until 4 a.m. to make sleep difficult to impossible. No air conditioning meant we had to keep the window open to stay cool during an extremely hot summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Posada Regia is right on the corner of the busy pedestrian street and the edge of the bar and restaurant area. Fine, but it has a downside. As the building is ancient - and very cozy for that - the noisy bar guests will keep you awake until the early hours even on the third floor where the rooms do not have real windows, only small shutters 2 meters off the floor. The doors are also a bit a jar so you neighbours' comings and goings are clearly audible. But the rooms are well-equipped and beautiful. Air conditioning costs extra, and so does breakfast, both are well worth their price. Garage parking is costly, street parking is possible and free from Sat. afternoon until Monday morning. (Try Calle Ramon y ... and side streets)

Room Tip: Avoid third floor, low ceilings, shutters or skylights for windows.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Timo L
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed here after a night at the Leon Parador. This place is much more fun and representative of a comfortable, old hotel. Ask for a corner room overlooking the street.
The attache restaurant is also fine and worth a trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family