“Salamanca on my mind.”

NH Salamanca Palacio de Castellanos
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stopped here overnight on our Iberian road trip and spent the night in a somewhat cramped room overlooking the cathedral, luckily no bells after 18:00hrs. Didn't eat in the restaurant as being time pressed and it not opening until 20:30 hrs we went about town instead. Can't say I had a restfully sleep and awoke to the normal city clatter and chatter and had a quite meagrely breakfast before setting off for Oporto.
Internet access here not free if you want email and again we had to pay, rip off yet again.
Beware everyone with a large car. The garage here is somewhat difficult to say the least and suits a Fiat Punto or a smart car only. I'd love to see the Top Gear team try and deal with it, that would be a laugh.
Good position, but could do better in some areas.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for NH Salamanca Palacio de Castellanos

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We were so impressed with this hotel for our brief stay. Located SO conveniently a few mins walk from the key Salamanca sites it was a brilliant base to explore from rather than being a luxury hotel that you spend tiem in. The room was comfortable enough, Eva on the reception very helpful with a map and recommendations of where to go/eat. The building is beautiful from the outside and inside stylish and in keeping. Secure parking under hotel - bit expensive, and a tight manoeuvre if you have a large car. Can't understand the bad reviews at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here for one night just to visit Salamanca. The hotel is awesome and in a superb situation with stunning views and easy walking distance to all the main attractions. I loved the ambience of this hotel its classic styling, good parking and helpful staff. I thought the furniture was just great and in keeping with the hotel. Certainly it did not need replacing, you don't replace great classic items. Lovely terrace overlooking the wonderful old town.
If you are looking for a classic hotel then you cant go wrong. If you want something trendy and filled with plastic chairs then this is not for you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed with my wife here in salamnaca twice in August, this time was the return trip, we stayed two night and paid approx 70 euros per night, the hotel is good value for money, staff helpfull and polite, we had great views from our room, the bad reviews here really are over the top. Two weeks earlier we stayed in NH Hotel puerta catedral, (same hotel chain) which is only a short walk away, this was one of our favourite hotels we stayed in, and would opt to stay there on future visits.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed a few friends and we liked it
Breakfast is very good, rooms are also good (could have a bit more space but nevertheless are spacious enough)
I do agree that the furniture could be renewed , but is not as bad as other comments suggest.
The location and the building are fantastic .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

It's a great place to explore Salamanca. In the old town, 5 min away walking distance form Plaza Mayor and other attractions. Rooms are good enough, nicely furnished and very clean. Staff was always very helpful. Excellent breakfast, of of the best I've have in a Spanish hotel. I would stay there again for sure.

Parking is paid separately and free wi-fi only at the lobby. But said previously: if going by car there is temporarily parking space in front of the hotel, so ask for directions to the parking (they were very nice to me and even gave me a small map with directions)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marceloRioDeJaneiro
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was our last city in an extensive tour of Spain. Of all eleven hotels we stayed in, this was by far the worse and the only one we seriously considered abandoning early. It’s a shame, because the building has great potential, and that’s about the only nice thing I can say about this hotel. Warning: if you drive there, park in front of the hotel, check in, and then ask for directions to their parking. The entrance to the hotel is about 20 steep steps from the street, with no ramp or anyone to help with luggage.
The very first thing wrong with this place is the man at the front desk. We never got his name because he doesn’t wear a name badge. Without actually been directly rude, he is the most offensive person I have ever encountered at a hotel reception. He never actually acknowledges anybody unless directly spoken to and then almost never smiling or even looking at you. This is how our conversation about the parking issue went (and I am a native Spanish speaker, so nothing was lost in translation)
ME: Is there a way to bring in our luggage other than through those steps on front?
HIM: No
ME: Do you guys have a parking garage?
HIM: Yes
ME: Is there an entrance to the hotel through the garage?
HIM: Yes
ME: Does it have steps?
HIM: No
ME: Where is the entrance to the garage?
HIM: Is fifteen euros a night.
ME: I didn’t ask how much it is, I want to know where it is
HIM: In the back
This entire conversation and the check in process took place while he looked at a screen in front of him all the time. Do you get the picture? I wanted to strangle this man. I would never advocate anybody losing their job, but if NH is ever serious about fixing the many wrongs of this property, they most relocate this man somewhere deep down in the basement where he never again has direct contact with a costumer. But I doubt NH has any interest in fixing anything here, since I am not the first to complain about the reception guy or the hotel.
What else is wrong? The Salvation Army style furniture in the lobby, which makes a great courtyard look like one of those government assistance building spaces. The complete lie of free wi-fi in the lobby that doesn’t work, while constantly asking you if you want to pay for better wi-fi. The con pitch talk of buying the breakfast beforehand for 10 euros or paying 19 at the restaurant. The baroque music playing in the lobby on a 15 second, repetitive loop which made me feel like I could check out anytime I wanted, but never leave…
This hotel single handedly destroyed all the good experiences we had in every other hotel in Spain and made me swear to my companions I would never ever again book them in another NH.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends