“Just Perfect!”

Ranked #20 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
Bucharest
“Just Perfect!”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have spent two nights, January 24-26, 2012, in Hostel Plaza Mayor, room no. 34.
The hostel has lots of favorable points: firstly, it has a splendid location, just off Plaza Mayor, on the way connecting to Plaza del Corillo. All sites are 5 to 10 minutes walking distance.
The hostel building is also lovely, supported by columns that form a portico; on top of the first 7 columns, you will see bas-reliefs symbolizing the days of the week: the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and the Sun.

My single room (with its own bathroom), came with old and stylish furniture that made me think about the travelers of the last century. The bathroom was small, but not tiny. The bedroom had a mini-fridge, a coffee maker, heating and air conditioning, plus the usual TV set that I never switch on. The hotel site advertises free Wi-Fi in the building, but I did not use it.

I think the hotel is classified as a one star hostel because it does not offer breakfast and it does not have an elevator, otherwise I would readily qualify it as a fair 3*. As for the lack of the elevator, the gentlemen at the reception offered with grace to help with my (quite heavy) suitcase.

One challenge when travelling in Spain is that little English is spoken, so someone that does not understand some Spanish might find it difficult. Thankfully, the hostel’s daytime reception desk personnel spoke quite good English and were extremely polite and helpful, especially Mr. Oscar Borrego. Mr. Borrego told me a number of interesting stories and legends about the city and helped me find the curiosities of Salamanca: the bas-reliefs of the days, the astronaut and the ice-cream eating dragon on the Cathedral façade and the frog at the University. Even if I “did my homework” on these, the complexity of the decoration made it necessary to ask for further clarifications, which were offered with grace and sense of humor.

For the 27 Euros per night that I paid for a single, I think that Plaza Mayor Hostel offered exceptionally good value for money and I recommend it for my fellow travelers stopping overnight in Salamanca.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Alia_Aliena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Hotel Plaza Mayor and the service of Óscar Borrego at the front desk made our Salamanca stay the highlight of our 3 weeks in Spain. The location, at the entrance of Plaza Mayor, was perfect for exploring the entire town and finding places to eat nearby. Because of double windows, our room was quiet even though we were in the epicenter of Salamance energy. The hotel was clean and the furniture in our room was lovely which made the somewhat smallish rooms very efficient and comfortable. We loved having a fridge and free in-room WiFi. We came to consider Óscar a friend because of his cheerful and competent handling of any need or challenge we faced. There are about 15 steps up to the reception area, but beyond that, the lift made getting to our room very easy. Bravo and thanks, Hotel Plaza Mayor.

Room Tip: 1st floor is near the WiFi router which made our reception excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Nora W
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Hotel Plaza Mayor in Salamanca (not to be confused with the somewhat similar budget hotel of the same name in Madrid) is an ideal place to stay for those who wish to economize without having to put up with less than desirable accommodations. It offers clean, comfortable rooms in the very heart of Salamanca's Centro Historico, just a few feet away from what many consider the main attraction of the city, the spectacular Plaza Mayor. The bed was clean and comforable, the bathroom was as good as any we had in Spain, and there was ample room for our luggage.
While not the most luxurious place we stayed in during our visit to Spain and Portugal, this small hotel will forever remain in my memory on account of the amazing hospitality, graciousness, and service provided by the owners to myself and my wife upon our arrival in Salamanca. We had driven from Segovia and Avila, and were baffled by the amazing intricacy of the maze of narrow, crooked streets in Salamanca's old town. Even with our GPS, we could not find the exact location of the hotel in our car. I decided to stop, park, and locate the hotel on foot. When I found it (with the aid of helpful passers-by), the woman at the front desk, who was the wife of the owner, welcomed me and told me her husband would accompany me back to my car and guide me to the parking garage. Even though he was at that moment engaged in other work elsewhere in the hotel, he immediately went off with me to find our car, which was parked several blocks away. He then took us to the garage and proceeded to carry most of our luggage back to the hotel for us (against our protestations). For the rest of the stay, he and his wife offered us the same level of courteous service above and beyond that normally expected of an hotelier.
Based on our wonderful experience at this hotel (and in Salamanca itself) I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone planing a trip there. One warning -- there is no elevator, so luggage must be carried up the stairs to your room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rick049
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel has to be one of the nicest little finds in the city centre. Perfect for exploring the local area.

Room Tip: Room 40 is lovely for a solo traveller
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jonathan R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We arrived in Salamanca during their annual fiesta and were right in the thick of things at this hostal. Plaza Mayor was a hive of activity with concerts each night and thousands of people in attendance and yet once back in our room, we couldn't hear any outside noise at all.

Clean and well appointed rooms, friendly and helpful staff, restaurants and cafes all around and literally a stone's throw from Plaza Mayor. For 50 euro a night, an absolute bargain in a wonderful city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian R
Washington, DC
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I have stayed here about 7 different times over the last 4 years, usually for about a week each time. I don't think I have found a better value for the price anywhere else in Spain, and I've travelled a LOT in Spain. The rooms are small, but nicely decorated and well-maintained with gleaming hard-wood floors. It seems every time I go there they have done something else to improve the place (most notably the addition of wi-fi), instead of just letting things slowly deteriorate. You can't beat the location. Having a small refrigerator in the room is nice as well. The staff is always friendly and helpful, but I'm not sure how good their English is - I speak Spanish, so this has never been an issue for me.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Michele743
Gatesville, TX
Reviewed 9 August 2011

There were six of us all couples aged 58 to 69 years of age who found the Hostal Plaza Mayor to be our stay for the night in Salamanca. We wanted to stay near the Plaza Mayor. Upon arrival a large concert stage was being erected in the square in preparation for a weekend celebration (the next night after our stay - yeah). Regardless, we decided to play it safe by staying just around the corner from the square.

There are steep stairs to enter the hostal, so keep that in mind for you older folks. However, the lobby is small but very clean. Around the corner from the friendly staffed reception is a very small elevator. There are also stairs to reach the upper floors.

Our rooms were very small but nicely decorated and tidy. The bathroom was very adequate. The beds were comfortable and we didn't hear any noise at night even though located very close to all the square's cafes and pedestrian walkways. We paid 60 euros per night. No breakfast was offered. Yet there are many choices for meals within very close proximity of the hostal.

On the downside there was no closeby parking. We parked at Santa Eulalia parking garage and just walked about 5 minutes to the hotel. Overall, I would highly recommend Hostal Plaza Mayor for budget minded travelers looking for something near Plaza Mayor.

Room Tip: Don't think they have a bad room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple