“Perfect Central Location”

and 1 more site!
El Toboso
Ranked #31 of 69 Hotels in Salamanca
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We spent three nights at El Toboso in September 2012. The hotel has character...and I mean this in a good sense. The room we had was clean and the bathroom spacious. Our friends also stayed in the adjoining room with their 6 month old and had a larger room with a foyer. Walls were a bit thin but we were usually too tired to care or hear anything. My wife did complain about the noise from the elevator as our door faced the elevator and people checking out in the morning could be heard through our door so I would recommend you ask for a room away from the elevator.

The entrance to the hotel is off a pedestrian street. If you are driving yourself to Salamanca you will park on the one way street by the hotel where they have temporary hotel parking spots to unload luggage. You then walk 30 seconds (50 metres) to the hotel. Once you check in you can drive your car to the underground parking close by. The olny challenge is to navigate the one way streets back to the parking which is basically at the start of the one way street that you are on when parking in the hotel temporary spots.

Location wise the hotel is perfect, walk out and you have 4-6 restaurant bars to choose from. Plaza Mayor is a short 2-3 minute walk. The hotel lobby is not 24 hours so they give you a key to enter the hotel after a certain time is you stay out late. The hotel itself has a bar but it was never used while we were there, except that I asked for a coffee two of the mornings and the owner quickly made one for me.

There is no mini fridge so if you get thirsty at night make sure to have purchased a bottle of water before going to bed. Oh...and you have to lock yourself in the room. Basically it is an old style hotel where you use a key to unlock the door and then the same key on the inside to lock the door. Makes it a bit of a challenge if one of you leaves and the other wants the door locked as one of you will either be locked in or locked out.

Like I said, a hotel with character. We really loved the fact that we were in the heart of Salamanca, close to everything. Once we parked the car in the underground garage we had no need of it for the three days. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators or risk being woken up when people check out early.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TropicsTraveller

Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is the second time that my wife and I have stayed at the Toboso and, once again, it was a great experience. We stayed in one of the 3-person apartments for 5 weeks. The hotel is about a block from the Plaza Mayor and just across the street from the central market. We did most of our food shopping at the central market (good variety and quality and very economical) and for staples we went to the two grocery stores that are in walking distance (5-10 minutes). The hotel staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Besides recommending great restaurants, they also helped us search for cultural events in the local newspaper and directed us to the right bus lines when we needed to get to destinations outside of the city center. The staff knows enough English to understand questions, but they usually will respond in Spanish, using hand gestures and referring to maps (which they are happy to provide) when necessary. The apartments here were actually once real apartments, so the floor plans are quite livable and spacious. The bathroom and kitchen are up to date. No problems with water pressure or hot water. The kitchen lacks a dish washer, but it does have a very quiet and efficient washing machine. My only complaint would be that the furniture in the living room and bedrooms is a bit dated. However, no 2-star hotel in Spain (or anywhere else for that matter) is going to have furnishings comparable to what one might have at home. The beds are comfortable, but I don't care for the improvised double bed (two singles pushed together), which seems to be common in the hotels where we have stayed in Spain over the years (although my wife does seem to like it a lot). For a short stay (a week or so), the price at the Toboso is very reasonable. However, there are more economical apartment rentals in the city center for longer stays. What I can tell from walking by them and looking at pictures online, however, they appear smaller and more cramped. The benefit of the Toboso, too, is that someone will come and make the beds, empty the trash, change the towels and sweep for you on a daily basis if you wish. Also, the hotel has excellent WiFi; the signal in the room was strong and navigation was always fast. (For these reasons we were willing to pay a bit more and are very glad we did.) Noise from adjacent apartments was not an issue, and noise from the street was an issue mainly just on weekends. With the electric fans going and the windows shut, we were able to go back to sleep and stay asleep. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, but it's not necessary, as the windows are large and there is always a nice breeze. We were here during the peak of the summer, and on especially hot days we would open the windows and put the fans on high, and we were comfortable. Most days, we didn't even have to use the fans. The hotel is in a very old building (we were able to locate it on a map from 1858) and is in a lively part of Salamanca. If you are looking for something that is comfortable, well situated, quaint and that has abundant character, you can't go wrong with the Toboso.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 11 June 2012

It's not exactly a Hilton, but it's very well-maintained and impeccably clean. Staff was always very friendly and helpful. And location is hard to beat -- central and very quiet at the same time. Remember to take a detailed map with tiny streets and passages marked, because Initially I had some difficulty with finding the hotel (although it's just by Plaza Mayor!). I would certainly recommend it and all positive reviews below are true :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kate_running_late
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I spent three weeks here a number of summers ago (prices were still in pesetas... I selected July 2011 because otherwise the website wouldn't have let me add my opinion), and I have always told myself that if and when I came back, I would come here. The location is stellar, and the room was fine. The proprietors were friendly, and were always good for a chat over a light breakfast in teh morning at the little nook you can see in the photo of the 'vestibulo.' They do offer laundry service, but unless you want the cost of your stay to drastically increase, don't take them up on it! There are not a huge number of amenities like there would be at a resort hotel, but if you're there to see the CIty, and you want that kind of hotel, ytou've kind of missed the point of travelling to a city like Salamanca. Decent price(s), nice people, PERFECT location (can I say that again), good room, great service... Other than that, I can't imagine any place having more to offer a traveller to Salamanca.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SenorRey
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed at Hotel El Toboso for four nights in May 2011 and I would definitely stay there again. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and made my colleague and me feel very welcome right from the start.

We had booked two single rooms and they gave us two rooms sharing a small balcony, which we felt was a lovely idea. The rooms didn't face the street and were quiet, very spacious, especially the bathroom (bath tub), very nice and clean. Towels in the bath room were nice and soft.

El Toboso is located right in the heart of Salamanca and you can basically walk everywhere. There is a lovely little square behind a church just outside the hotel - a great place for a cool beer or a glass of red wine in the evening. The main square is just two minutes away.

The room rates are incredibly reasonable. I had a little trouble trying to book my rooms through online hotel reservations agencies (they all showed no vacancies for the hotel although rooms were still available) and ended up writing an email directly to the hotel, which was promptly answered and I could book my room directly without any problems.

For future stays in Salamanca, I would always return to El Toboso.

PS: Free WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Hada_del_Bosque
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I have been staying 2 nights. Rooms are big and quite enough. Big bath with very clean water. Fast WiFi on each floor for free.
Location is amazing - small quite street between crowded street and city central market, few steps from Plaza Mayor. 15 minutes walking from station.
when checking out the guy haven't charged me soft drinks, giving it for free :-)
will definitely stay again

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We stayed in the apartment for 3-4 people (we were 4) for 2 nights in El Toboso, and loved it! Our apartment had a good sized kitchen/living area with 2 bedrooms and a big bathroom with a really good shower. The apartment was perfect for making breakfast and coming back to during the day. The location is absolutely perfect - 30 seconds from the plaza mayor. Also, there is an amazing bar next door! It's called Tio Vivo, and is defnitely worth a visit (or two!). The staff were all very friendly at El Toboso and the room was brilliant value. I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Salamanca.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends