“Good location, good value”

Artheus Carmelitas Salamanca
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Good location, good value”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It is billed as a 4 star hotel but it has definitely seen better days. Having said that, it was comfortable and everything worked. I agree with a previous reviewer, the reception area is extremely fussy. When we chose this hotel it was on the basis that we would be able to get reliable wifi in our room, which we were assured we would but this simply did not happen. There is a weak signal that comes and goes. We mentioned it to reception but but there was nothing they could do. We would not have chosen this hotel had we known this as we need it plan the next leg of our trip each day.

For some reason, hotels in Salamanca seem to be cheaper than in other towns we have stayed in. This one was €55 including breakfast which we felt was a good price for a major tourist attraction town. We were able to park the motor bike in the hotel car park which is also a plus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

On entering the lobby I thought for a minute I'd come to a closing down sale in the lighting department in BHS. The lobby is full of really tacky chandeliers, lamps and candelabra. The chairs had something of a Louis XIV design about them. Not to my taste but it might appeal to some. I happen to prefer modern and simple.

Neither the bar nor the restaurant have much in the way of atmosphere. In fact, the restaurant was little more than a function room set up banquet style.

My room was okay. I had two beds each over 1 metre in width. Comfort was okay. The pillows were a bit hard though. Wardrobe and shelf space was fine for one person but two would have struggled to put everything away. There was a safe in the wardrobe - the instructions were quite complicated. There was also a minbar with reasonable prices. There was no kettle though so no way to make a hot drink. There were a number of small things I felt the hotel could have done to make the rooms much more useable eg the addition of a box of tissues, adding a full-length mirror, adding a couple of hooks for bathrobes in the bathroom and, most importantly, installing a grab rail to assist getting in and out of the shower/bath (the bath was quite high). On a positive note, there is free WiFi throughout the hotel.

Breakfast was by no means "sumptuous" as described by another reviewer. Having said that, bear in mind breakfast is not a big meal in Spain. We had churros, croissants (very nice and obviously fresh), pain au chocolate, cake; fresh pineapple, melon and kiwi fruit; cereals; slices of ham (poor quality and processed), chorizo, cheese and tomato. There was a also a hot container with very rubbery looking scrambled egg, sausage and bacon. Sliced bread was available for toasting. The toaster seemed to have a mind of its own. Fruit could be dipped in a chocolate fountain if you were brave enough to risk it - we saw flies in the restaurant every time we ate there.

Dinner was one notch up from school dinners in quality but I should add that we were part of a large group and were paying a fairly low rate so what we got was about all I expected. I didn't experience the a la carte menu. Some of the starters we had were a bit strange as well as being huge eg on one night the starter consisted of two fried eggs, bacon, chorizo and chips! It would have made a great breakfast. On another occasion the pasta starter turned out to be a large plate of cold pasta with salad and tinned tuna. We had the same vegetables every day - tinned peas and carrots. I did enjoy the soups though especially the carrot soup and the gazpacho. Desserts were obviously bought in from the local equivalent of Iceland. We had little in the way of local, Spanish dishes but that might have been down to our tour company.

We stayed five nights in October when the outside temperature ranged from around 12C at night to 25C in the afternoon. My room was cool enough although I did open the window in the evening but closed it before going to bed to keep the traffic noise out. The double glazing was effective in excluding the noise - I was on the 3rd floor.

The hotel was a short walk from the Plaza Mayor and there were several bars, coffee shops and a pastry shop just round the corner.

The hotel wouldn't have been my first choice had I been organising the trip myself but it was good value for what we paid. Whilst I might have preferred the local Paradour, the Artheus is much more convenient for the town centre, the cathedral and the museums. The Paradour is on the top of a hill on the other side of the river from the town centre so many people would find they needed a taxi to visit to the centre.

Be warned, little English is spoken in the hotel. Come to that, little English is spoken anywhere in Salamanca so make sure you take a phrase book, menu reader and/or dictionary with you. According to our tour guide, English is not a compulsory subject in schools. Indeed, it seems there is no compulsory foreign language taught in Spanish schools.

Room Tip: The rooms with lower numbers (eg 301, 302 rather than 311 or 312) appear to be larger, assuming the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BlackAmber
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We may have been a little unlucky with this hotel! When we arrived in our room we thought it seemed pretty good but we soon discovered the toilet in our bathroom was leaking all over the floor, which to say the least was a little off putting. We were soon moved but unfortunately not to a similar room, rather a smaller one overlooking a busy 2 lane thoroughfare which proved to be noisy all night. The hotel is well located within walking distance of the main square and most other attractions. Dinner and Breakfast were good and the staff were courteous.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side street
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adelaideview
Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A very nice hotel, elegantly decorated and within walking distance to major tourist attraction. The room reminds me of early renaissance palaces. Our room is overlooking the main road, hence there is not much view. Breakfast is sumptuous and ambiance of the restaurant is welcoming and makes waking up early more bearable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tourscaper
Pershore, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A very good hotel. Very good if arriving by car as it is located immediately off a main dual carriageway with an underground car park. The main square inSalamanca is an easy five minute stroll away. Car parking is a bit expensive15 euros per night. The square is obviously a must visit but there are numerous bars a short walk away from the hotel which are very good value for their tapas.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Windsor,Ontario,
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Not an easy hotel to fin as it is tucked away on a small corner off a main street in Salamanca. Has perhaps the most elaborately decored rooms of any small 4 star hotel we've seen--complete with cold marble floors Within easy walking distance of the large Plaza Mejor and of most other major interest attractions in Salamanca. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Same staff worked the breakfast room as the dining room the evening before. Dining room food was nothing to write home about--bland and, in the Spanish custom, served so late at night that you enjoy the taste well into the next morning!
We had a nice, somewhat larger, Ford SUV--parking was an uncredible challenge in the hotel's garage which seems designed for tiny vehicles. Yes, we managed to scrape one back corner manoeuvering to stuff the vehicle into a parking spot designed for a two wheele bicycle. But, that aside, it was a pleasant hotel--plentiful breakfast with a wierd toaster--but abundant choice. Would recommend just for the decor of the rooms and the location.

Room Tip: Try to Avoid Bringing an Auto!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NamutKwu
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I'm sorry to say that I can't recommend this hotel. I stayed there one night in mid April. It was a pleasant day and the sun shone all day into the room which faced west, making it uncomfortably warm when we arrived. We tried to put the air conditioning on to cool it down but all we got was heat. I went down the the front desk and asked how to get the air conditioning on. The desk clerk asked why I wanted air conditioning. When I explained how warm the room was she quite rudely laughed at me and said "You think this is warm? It's still winter - you'll have to open the window". That's what we did but the noise was just as bad as the heat. Apparently, Salamanca is a college town and the students stay out all night yelling at each other under hotel windows. I am not kidding. The laughing, yelling and carrying on was still going on at 6:00 a.m. It was impossible to get any sleep at all and the room didn't really cool down. I don't know if this goes on every night, we were there on a Friday but I'd never go back to Salamanca at all. The only positive thing I could say about the hotel is that the location is good if you want to be a short walk from the centre of town.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel in another town.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Salamanca hotels