“A lovely 2 night stay in Salamanca”

NH Salamanca Puerta de la Catedral
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Salamanca
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel on 19th and 20th June 2014 as one of a group of 5 friends. The main advantage of the hotel was the location. It is superbly located for all ameneties. Nothing is too far away to walk to. 10-15 mins walk from Plaza Mayor, the University and Cathedrals are on the doorstep (literally in the case of the cathedrals) and the lovely roman bridge and San Esteban bridge with spectacular views of the cathedrals over the river is a mere 5 mins walk in the other direction.

The hotel itself is very nicely decorated. The room I stayed in was very comfortable and well equipped. Large screen TV (although I didn't watch it), minibar - which i didn't use only to store my own drinks but was great for that and a free safe in the wardrobe. The only disappointment was that there was no view from the room. Of the three rooms that we booked, only one had a view of the cathedral and that was if you stood on tiptoe to look over a bit of a wall.

There is a very small bar in the reception area but from my trips to Toledo and Segovia last year, I missed the addition of an outside bar area or rooftop terrace where you could sit for a drink whilst waiting for the rest to get ready. This was a minus point in my opinion. Also the breakfast was not the best. It was continental, which is fine and a cooked option was available but had to be requested and probably cost extra so we didn't bother. The toaster was incredibly slow as was the coffee maker. At 8 euros a head, I think we may have been better having breakfast elsewhere.

We had a 2 centre trip as we have for the past 3 years and I have to say our second hotel in Ávila had an equally good location, a better breakfast and was the same star rating for a much lower cost. I therefore think that whilst I have rated this hotel as a 4, if I was ever to visit Salamanca again, I would probably try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a tip to get a good room as none seemed to have much of a view of the cathedral...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for NH Salamanca Puerta de la Catedral

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel in Salamanca and it is located in a nice area. However given the facilities the room prices are overvalued. Just at the arrival the receptionist (Ruth) was very helpful until another person with really bad attitude (Miguel Angel) screwed everything. Frankly I think one could find a better service in Salamanca for the price they are paying. I'm going to stay I'm this hotel for few more days and hope to update more on the pros and cons. In summary, as of now, I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a great time. The location was great, the view from our balcony was incredible and the service was good. My only complaint was that the wifi signal was poor in our room. All things considered, I would highly recommend this hotel and I plan on staying here during my next trip to Salamanca.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 9 to 14 June. It is a very beautiful, old building next to the cathedral. Location is perfect to explore Salamanca which is a very exciting city. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very nice and clean with a beautiful terrace on the first floor facing the cathedral. Bathroom was modern and very clean with all the amenities you need. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was very good. The restaurant was closed (only open for groups) but you have plenty of good tapas bars and restaurants in the neighbourhood. We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone whowants to visit Salamanca.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ErikaZonhoven
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights at the end of January. The location was perfect! Being next to the cathedral means that one gets to hear the lovely bell ringing at frequent intervals. It is also in the historic part of town and most of the tourist attractions are within walking distance.

The style of the hotel is modern with great reception service who would always greet you as you walk in and out of the hotel.

The room is on the small side but adequate for our use. We were given a room that faced the cathedral. To wake up in the morning and looking out the window seeing the domes in the sky never cease to give one a sense of peace and delight.

The room was clean, The bathroom was modern.

We also had breakfast there every morning. I would really recommend anyone who stays there to give it a try. The variety and the presentation were true reflection of the spanish breakfast offer. I did not even know how to eat nor where to start on day one! I used those breakfasts as benchmarks of the Spanish hotels since then!

The hotel is only a short taxi ride from the train or bus stations.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Salamanca!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MYquem
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Recently fulfilled a long held ambition to visit Salamanca en-rote from Santander to Southern Spain.
One could easily run out of superlatives in describing this Hotel. Start with its location. In the centre of the old town opposite the Catedral - such a breathtakingly beautiful structure and better still, the bells don't ring at night! The Plaza Mayor is a 10 minute stroll along ancient streets. Hotel Decor; modern, tasteful, spotlessly clean. The bedroom was so spacious and beautifully fitted out. Last but by no means least, the staff. Helpful and courteous and happy to go along with my pidgin Spanish for as long as I could stand to say it. Also, we made the mistake of leaving a bag behind in the underground garage as we drove away and the staff went out of their way to ensure that it was shipped on to our holiday destination. I would love to return to Salamanca and when I do the first thing that I will do is to check into this Hotel

Room Tip: The balcony rooms at the front of the Hotel overlooking the Catedral would be my first choice
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tilkobling
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My third visit here with my civil partner. We were booked into a twin room (all that was left when we booked) but after a personal request to (if possible) have a double room we were given a double with a lovely view of the cathedral. I also requested to not be placed on the ground floor and this was also honoured. Very friendly Reception staff with no awkward questions asked. Due to the neighbouring buildings and walls, any noise (tourist groups or rubbish collecting trucks) tends to be amplified but keeping windows shut help. Since our second visit we have opted not to have the ample 11.50 buffet breakfast and gone down Rua Mayor (main street towards Plaza Mayor) to a tiny patisserie called Croissanteria Paris to buy phenomenal Pain au Chocolate. Renamed by me as 'galaxy bars wrapped in pastry', for a couple of euros. While the breakfast is varied and delicious, we felt we could have lazy lie ins and buy patisseries at a quarter of the price. Spotlessly clean, comfortable as ever, walking distance to all key ancient monuments, places and buildings, never disappointed. Super value to boot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple