“Cool down with the fountains.”

Palacio Real de La Granja de San Ildefonso
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Segovia and La Granja Royal Residence with...
Ranked #11 of 94 things to do in Segovia
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A beautiful palace and the gardens are humongous. The tour only goes through a small part of the palace but a lot of what makes San Ildefonso amazing are it's gardens. They have some of the most beautiful water fountains and there are water show's that go on. On a hot day perfect to go and cool down with the water from the fountains.

All reviews
in 40 reviews
in 50 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is a quick and easy drive from Segovia and a wonderful day trip! The palace is gorgeous and fun to explore. Every room has something beautiful to see and each ceiling tells a detailed story. We were here in April before the flowers were blooming, but I'm sure the gardens and grounds are even more fantastic then. Well worth a day trip!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Visited La Granja on a Thursday afternoon after class. If you're a student who is doing study abroad, bring an ID of some kind and you can get in for 4 euros instead of the higher price. They'll also go by your age if you don't have a school ID, but you have to be under 26 or 27 (I don't remember which).

The palace closes at 5:30. The Gardens close at 8.

There's a lot to see in the palace if you like art and antiques. There were a ton of pieces from Qing Dynasty China, on top of I-don't-know-how-many paintings of Alexander the Great.

I didn't feel like paying extra for the map and audio guide, though I do regret not getting a map (assuming that's what that was--I completely bypassed the table really).

I went with a female and male classmate of mine and the girl and I both had really large bags that we didn't have to leave in a locker, but the guy had a similar sized bag that he had to lock up. So be prepared for that.

Photos aren't allowed inside, but are allowed outside.

We didn't get to see all of the fountains, because there are soooo many. And I didn't have it in me to climb the "mountain" (I'm only being slightly dramatic) to the lake, so I didn't see that either, though my classmate did go.

All in all, it was very beautiful, and if you like rooms upon rooms of paintings and tapestries and old Chinese pottery, yes, go. Especially if you're a student--that discount is amazing.

Also, we were travelling from Segovia and the bus fare from the main bus station was 1.32 (I think) that you pay on the bus, with several stops along the way. It's the big yellow bus, so you can't miss it. Make sure to check the schedules online for pickup though, especially if you need to be back by a certain time. They don't really warn you when you're at the stop for La Granja, and it's hard to see because it's up a hill, so be alert and pay attention, or ask the driver to let you know when you're at the parada.

3  Thank xmyp
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We drove to the palace from Segovia, it was a very easy 12 kilometer drive almost in a straight line up to the mountains. We found easy parking just outside of the palace, and there was no fee or time limit for the parking. We were there on a Friday afternoon and it was not crowded at all, but I can imagine it could get congested on weekends. The entrance fee was 9 euros per person, which seems to be the going rate for all of the top sights. The interior of the palace was quite ornate, and the architecture was very French in design. It did look a little like a mini-Versailles. The rooms of the palace were all connected one after the other, so one could look down the entire wing of the palace and see the doors to each room getting smaller and smaller the further away they were. The size of each room was on the smallish size for a palace, which is why the place felt so cozy. Each room was wonderfully decorated with painted ceilings and amazing chandeliers of ornate cut crystal that were manufactured nearby. There were loads of original furnishings, and a great deal of unexpected large vases from the orient. The crowning glory was the gardens with many fountains reminiscent of Peters Palace in St. Petersburg. Here the fountain statuary was painted in a copper-color and ascended up the hill behind the palace. No fountains were running when I was there, but there is a schedule for when they are turned on. Check this before you go.

4  Thank Ono O