“Great location, simple but all you need”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Somnio Barcelona

Somnio Barcelona
Ranked #117 of 753 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Vevey
“Great location, simple but all you need”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed one night at this hostel and spent just some sleeping hours there before catching our morning flight.

The rooms are basic (one bed, towels and a bathroom with shower) but clean and comfortable. We were positively surprised by the quietness of the room at night! not a single noise outside even with the window open!

The location is perfect for a city trip, close to many shops and restaurants, metro/bus and train stations, etc...

A very good value for money if you want to spend more Euros in shopping and eating! :)

Room Tip: If you are a couple, prefer the double room with private bathroom! :)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank On_the_r0ad_again16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The front desk staff are awesome, extremely friendly, very helpful. The rooms are super clean and the hostel is in an excellent location. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone. I will stay here again anytime I am visiting Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scott W
Gerlingen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed 7 night in in Somnio hostel, in a single room (Nr.2).
On the wall outside, right near the balcony door there was a big air conditioning device. Considering its size, I think it worked for the whole hotel. Its noise switched between average (like an old refrigerator), loud (like a washing machine) and VERY loud (like a washing machine in spin cycle). After a first night I bought earplugs in a nearest pharmacy so I could sleep normally next nights. Not very comfortably though.

Аir conditioning in my room: it was NOT working. There was an air conditioning device in my room, but it was disabled. And the big noisy device outside worked not for me, it was for someone else. I got only the noise. Additionally, I had to keep the balcony door closed, to lower this noise at least a bit. And that in a small room, in the middle of summer!

Cleanliness: the room was never cleaned, towels or linen never changed (for 7 days) and I had to empty the bin myself.

Location: near the city center, good for short (sightseeing) visits but not good in summer (too far from the beaches)

wifi: not fast but worked

The hotel was not cheap (45-50 EUR/night) but it is still considered as a budget hotel. So although the room was small and the shower/toilet were common I could still rate it with 5 points. However:
- 2 points for the horrible noice
- 1 point for no air conditioning in July
- 1 point for not cleaning the room

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Alexey S
SomnioHostels, Owner at Somnio Barcelona, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Alexey,

I am really sorry that your stay at Somnio wasn't as pleasant as it could have been. In the future, please talk to our receptionists if you have any concerns during your stay. We want you to have the best possible experience and are here to help.

We have checked the air conditioning unit in your room and it is indeed working. If you had spoken to us about the problem, we would have made sure that it was keeping you cool during your stay. I'm sorry you had to sleep in the heat! We also have fans available if the air conditioning isn't enough.

As for the air conditioning noise, we have since conducted a test with our machines to monitor the noise coming from the compressor on the balcony (in your picture). At no point during our tests did the machine make noises like those that you described. Is it possible the noise was coming from a neighbor's machine? We will continue to test the machines and monitor the noise of the compressor (and that of our neighbors). We will have the machines reviewed because the noise you're describing is certainly not that of a properly functioning machine. I'm sorry you were disturbed.

For ecological as well as privacy reasons, we typically do not enter or clean the guests' rooms during their stay. If you or any guest requests fresh sheets, towels, or that their room be cleaned during their stay, we are very happy to comply. When a guest stays as long as you did, we typically clean the room during the middle of the stay. I'm very sorry that your sheets weren't changed and that your room wasn't cleaned. I have already talked to the housekeeper about the situation.

Alexey, I hope that we may have the opportunity to provide a better experience for you in the future. If you should come back to Barcelona, please contact me directly (Lee@somniohostels.com) and I will do my best to make it up to you.

Safe Travels,
Lee
Owner
St.-Peterburgs (Russia)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was in this Hostel twice already (between 4 JUL 13 and 7 JUL 13) and will come again! Very clean, friendly staff, safe and not expensive! A good mix of quality and price.The hostel is located near the main street, which is very convenient. The historic building with a beautiful interior. Inside the modern decor.

Inna (Russia)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Inna S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I recently stay at Somino for 4 nights and I can say, by far the best hostel I've stayed at.

Location is stupid awesome, the people are friendly, the place is super clean (coming from one that's OCD clean), the bed was comfy and room 9 is super sunny! As a bonus, the room has external shutters, perfect for the morning after a big night.

I felt I was getting the better end of the stick, given how affordable that place was and what I was getting.

Cannot recommended enough!

Ps, book for room 9!

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me (jimmygatsos@gmail.com).

Jimmy

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Jbozz J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Somnio is a hostel with a a great location and very friendly staff who are travelers on their own. The front desk people were very helpful with tips and advice on my stay in Barcelona and make you feel very welcome.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nemanja G
Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

This place is such good value regarding location and rooms for Barcelona. Showers and mattrasses are outstanding. Most remarkable, though, is the friendly and helpfull staff. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home and keep you informed about the city.

Room Tip: Appearantly all rooms without private bathrooms at least have a sink, just FYI, in case thats one of...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family