“Fantastic Hotel. Faultless Service”
Review of ABaC Barcelona

ABaC Barcelona
Ranked #7 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel. Faultless Service”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a weekend in Barcelona having been recommended to stay at the ABaC Hotel.

On arrival, the staff could not have been more polite and could not have been more helpful. After a brief check in, and a quick tour of the hotel, including the kitchen, we were taken to our 'Deluxe' room which was perfect for our 2 night stay. The facilities in the room included high speed wi-fi, a B&O TV, and Nespresso machine. The bed as other reviewer's have also said, was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

The hotel has a luxury spa with complimentary refreshments. Needless to say, we used the spa every day during our stay and found that we were in fact the only guests to use the facility.

The hotel is situated across the road from the subway which is the headstop for the L7 (Brown line). Within 10 minutes you are walking down La Rambla.

We didn't dine in the restaurant so can't comment, but if you want to stay in a small luxury hotel away from the hustle and bustle of central Barcelona, stay here. You can't go wrong.

We can't wait to return to the ABaC.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ItsMeAgain007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a place to take someone you really want to treat and enjoy a great dining night out. Ambience and atmosphere are very nice and create a warm, modern feeling. The chef prepares a couple of small welcome surprises for everyone to taste followed y in house baked bread. Wine list is extensive (especially in Spanish wines as one would have expected) and sommelier has done an excellent job in combining wines with food. We went for the degustation menu which involved several small plates. Highlights of these were the beef tartare done in 2 separate ways and the egg. These are ABAC signature dishes and i would go back again and again to taste these. Main dishes and deserts also at similar gastronomic levels with the starters. Service was very attentive by extremely profesional people. It is a joy and pleasure to see people like ABAC staff that take great joy and pride in what they do, this feeling is passed to the client in the utmost professional/friendly/discreet sort of manner, my deepest congratulations on the service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank solotsopa
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel was a bit away from the centre of Barcelona, but it was in a nice and lovely neighborhood. We had a suite and even though we were next to the road, we couldnt hear any noises from the roads outside. The Subway is just a cross the street and takes you straight down to La Rambla. The bed was very big and With the best cushions I have ever had in a hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We celebrated our proposal there and while we ate at the restaurant the staff made a very romantic setting in our room With candles and flowers in the bath.
The restaurant itself is worth the stay. The placement of our room made us walk through the Kitchen and what an experience. Wathcing twenty cooks create dinner was an Incredible sight. We went for the Grande menu with sixteen tastings. This sounds much, but is well worth it. Explosions of great taste in our mouth for every bite. The staff at the restaurant were very helpful and knew exactly when to serve and how to do it. Well worth a two star Michelin rating!!! If you are going for a romantic trip to Barcelona and want to celebrate something special, this is the place for you !
All in all, I couldnt get more satisfied With ABaV and their staff :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ole G
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Quite a taxi journey from the port to the gates of food mecca ABaC at the foot of the mountains, but well worth it. Buzz the door at the gate, which swings open to a revel beautiful gardens and discreet luxury palisander architecture. This elegant two star restaurant also houses a hotel with 15 rooms. We were set for lunch, and had three starters. Large round tables generously spaced in a kool dining room on the minimalistic side, Zalto champagne glasses taking care of texture and bouquet. The sommelier were informed of our lacking competence on white Spanish wine, and with a hint of preference pointing to the Ramonet chassagne at €140, he recommended priorat wine Mas d´en compte 2008 from Cal Pla. Lovely elegant wine, mineral and rich almost without oak. The kitchen impressed from beginning to end, the servuce was considerate, friendly and as loose as possible at this level of fine dining - but never stiff. It seemed they took their pride in knowledge and presentation, and we felt immensely taken care of in a friendly and relaxed way by our Argentinian maitre and his MMA-looking sommelier. They and their staff of waiters did their best to secure not our luxurious lunch, but also were helpful making reservations and recommendations at similar restaurants for the rest of our stay. Mixed crowd, relaxed dressed catalan intellectual couple, the omnipresent plastically surgery of Americans discussing their favorite topic (themselves) and local beauties from the Catalan capitol, elegantly dressed. The dining hours are quite a challenge, having 7-12 course lunch at 4 and then dinner at...11? 12? But this food and wine temple is a must when visiting Barcelona for the food experiences. Nitro cocktails, gazpacho as sorbet, tiny gnocchi filled with liquid (!) parmesan, yuzu desserts, the meal is a gem from start to finish, well worth the bill just short of €380 including a well deserved although generous tip. The compositions are a delight for the eye, fun to eat, impressively considerate and intelligently manufactured. With the horribly stressed frenetic dishes fast-food delivered at well reputed Dos Palillos the night before, the perfect timing of each dish at ABaC was an academic pleasure of epic fine dining in our new favorite fine dining country. ABaC, we salute you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Klodrik190479
Glenwood, Maryland
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the ABAC hotel in Barcelona for 4 nights. The location was away from the main touristy part of town which made it very quiet pleasant. However, It was close to an easy to use metro so we had no problem getting to the main attractions.The service was wonderful; the staff was courteous and helpful. The rooms were very modern and comfortable. Our only complaint was the bathrooms were a little too modern - the shower was unusual - one room for both the shower and tub even though they were separate.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank Kathy C
Toronto, ON,
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed two nights in September, and the stay was a disaster from start to finish. To be honest, I just want to forget the experience, but I’m going to put it up here anyways. While there were several issues – the main one involved a “he said, she said” situation. When I left the room one night, I returned to find my IPAD on the bedside table, with the screen smashed in. I went down, met with management, and was advised that the cleaning lady left a report that she had found it that way when she entered the room. I didn’t take this news particularly well, given that I know the IPAD was fine when I left the room. I was promised another meeting the next day after the manager had talked to the cleaning lady.

The next day the manager tried to avoid me, despite repeated attempts to talk to her. Finally I got her at reception. She gave me every excuse in the book – “perhaps it fell off the table when I left the room.” I’m told I should have left it in the safe. I’m given a story about cameras. I’m told that the cleaning lady is a valued employee, who has been at the hotel since it opened, and they believe her. The bill for my two night stay ended up being close to 2000 Euros – and I’m being told fairly rudely, that I’m a liar.

I’m not somebody that deals with confrontation, I avoid it all costs – and the last place I expect it is at a five star hotel, when I’m paying almost 2000 Euros for a two day escape. Anyways – despite telling me she is the manager, eventually she sends me up the food chain to Hector – who I guess is the real manager. Hector’s not at the hotel, so I send him an email, explaining the situation, and tell him, that I’m not particularly thrilled to be charged 1,958 Euro’s for two nights, a lunch, and two massages – and then be told by the manager that they believe the cleaning lady over the customer.

The response from Hector only makes thing worse. He tells me that the previous person I dealt with handled the situation exactly the way she should, claims she never called me a liar, and tells me that while the price I paid for their services was considerable, I should consider the quality of the services.

Well Hector, in considering both the quality of the services, and the fact that your employee effectively called me a liar – I believe your hotel is lousy.

Your spa is terrible. It’s tiny – there’s one small change room for both sexes – without a shower in it. The reception/sitting area is in the same room as the Jacuzzi – so it’s about 85 degrees and humid in there. The air conditioning was broken the day I was there. I was told by the masseuse that they were supposed to fix it, but hadn’t gotten around to it. You have two massage rooms – only one of them has a tatami mat – so when my wife and I both requested Thai Massages – we were told we’d start off in one room, then half way thru, we’d switch rooms. In other words, half way thru the massage, we have to leave the room, wait ten minutes for them to clean the rooms, then we switch rooms and finish the massage. Not exactly relaxing – especially when we’re paying 135 Euros for the massage.

At lunch at your hotel, I told the server I didn’t like mushrooms, and asked if he could substitute a dish – I was told no, I couldn’t – and in addition to that dish, three other dishes came with a mushroom broth. At the same lunch, I said I’d like to try a local white wine, and was rudely given three choices by a hurried waiter – oaky, not oaky, or a little oaky – as if they were the only considerations in white wine.

And management is appalling. If you have any kind of issue, expect a poor response.

I’ve got a couple of young kids – I don’t get away as much as I’d like, or as much as I used to. The point of staying at expensive five-star hotels, is the notion that you will be taken care. Instead, I had my ipad smashed, dealt with confrontation, lost sleep, and had, what should have been a nice two day vacation ruined.

Anybody staying at this hotel should reconsider – there are plenty of other nice places, with much better locations, that I’m sure take care of their guests. Avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Lots of great rooms at other hotels!