“I do not recommend staying at this hostel...”
Review of Albergue New York

Albergue New York
Ranked #571 of 738 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The only positive was the staff that was really friendly and always with a smile on their face.
The room was just awful, it reminded us of a prison cell (maybe the building was once a prison, I don't know..). It just had one small window located on the upper side of the wall and the bed was really awful as it made terrible noise every time I moved during the night.
Even though the location of the hostel is good, this particular building is situated in a very dangerous neighbourhood (in my oppionion), especially we were afraid to cross these streets in the night time (many strange people wandering around, on alcohol and drugs)..
I really didn't get the showers...I was not able to set the warm water so I had to shower in freezing water which was not comfortable for me..
The "buffet breakfast" choice was very poor also, I would suggest to add some fruits and vegetables also.
For my next stay in Barcelona I will definitely choose another type of accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank LuciaSiska

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We have been there for 3 days and it was terrible. yeah maybe the location of the hostel is good but rooms are awful. I suggest you to search other hostels in barcelona, you can easily find a better one.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Haldun Y
Reviewed 18 July 2012

of course you can spend a night there, but the place seemed dirty, used, not in a safe neighborhood. the high temperature was solved with the dirty fan, the only window led to the elevator shaft. you can hear everything that is happening outside your room. good location, close to La Rambla, but that is so far the only highlight.

Room Tip: dont want the room with the window to the elevator shaft :)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Verunkah
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Even thought the location of the hostel is great, close to everything, I would really like to ask the owners to please go to a furniture shop and buy a couple of decent beds, some paint for the walls, maybe a closet or two...
Not to mention that every time somebody opens the door form rooms close by, you can hear it from 2 miles away! This place has a great potential, but please, invest!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jelena_on_the_road
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed in the hostel for 5 nights, and had a private twin room. For the five nights, we paid 230€, which was 23€ a night per person.

The room had a bunk bed, and 2 lockers. The lockers were big enough that we could both put all of our stuff in one of the lockers (we bought the lock on the reception for 3€). The bunk bed was okay, even though one of the bed boards was broken on the upper bunk, and it felt a bit uncomfty at first, but it wasn't too bad and I got used to it. The lower bunk was fine. The bed was a bit squeeky, but nothing tragic.
You need sheets or a sleeping bag for the beds. You can get sheets on the reception for 2€ a person per stay. We found this quite cheap and very useful, even though my sheets had a little cigarette burn hole in it.
Besides that, there is nothing else in the room, but if you're a traveler, who only uses his hostel room for sleeping during days full of sightseeing and wandering around, you probably won't mind. We didn't.
The room also had a tiny balcony, which is shared with another room.

Everyday someone comes in the room and cleans it, and during that time you mustn't be in the room. I'm not sure if that someone also sweeps and cleans the floor or just empties the trash, but the room was very clean, and we were pleased with that.

The showers and toilets are shared.
There is a shower for men and a shower for women on every floor. The showers are a bit tricky, since you have to figure out how to adjust to water to the right warmth, but once you do, it's okay. They have plastic curtains, and you hang your clothes in the bathroom, right outside the shower. I was glad to see that the showers and the bathrooms were always very clean. I was hoping for that, but truthfuly, due to previous experience in other hostels, wasn't really expecting it, so I was pleasantly surprised!
The toilets were also always very clean, and always had toilet paper.

You also get breakfast everyday during 8.30 am and 10.30 am. You get a croissant, a muffin and two pieces of toast, and then you can choose butter, marmelade, honey or chocolate spread to go with it. You also get to choose something to drink - they have different warm beverages (milk, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, cocoa) and juices (pineapple, orange, apple). The breakfast really isn't all that, but it's good enough to get you started and keep you going until lunch.
The first morning there was a middle-aged lady who handed out breakfast, and she seemed a bit grumpy, but on the other mornings there was a young bohemian man, who was nicer.

The hostel is open 24 hours. You buzz a bell to get in, so I think the security is okay. At least we felt our things were secure, when we were out of the hostel - they were locked in a locker, which was locked in our room, which was in a hostel you had to ring to get into.

The reception staff is very friendly too, we especially liked the young lady with curly hair and glasses. We asked about some info about a museum, and she was glad to help. The other two receptionist were also nice, and one of them speaks amazingly good english.

The hostel also has a common room (with books and board games), kitchen (can be used from 6 pm to 10 pm), and two computers with free internet, which can be used from 8 am to 11 pm. The hostel has 5 stories, and an elevator, so you don't have to walk if you don't want to.

The location of the hostel is great, just about 8 minutes of walk to La Rambla, Estatua de Colon and the Dressanes metro station, 3 minutes of walk to via Laietana and about 7 minutes to the Jaume I metro station. The street, where the hostel is, has a lot of bars, but we were on the third floor (room 302!), and there wasn't much noise. There was a little, but nothing that would prevent us sleeping.

We feel that we spent our money on the hostel well, since it was good, with great location, and reasonably cheap in comparison to other hostels with such good location. If (when!) we return to Barcelona, we would gladly stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flafi B
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The room also had a tiny balcony, which is shared with another room.

The showers and toilets are shared.
The toilets were also always very clean, and always had toilet paper.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I had a booking for three nights in Albergue New York. I reached Barcelona late night in the month of May and the condition of the room (Twin room) was tragic. It was extremely warm in the summer month and the room came with a very small window which opened to another building so there was no supply of fresh air. The bunk beds made creaky sound and was extremely dirty. I had to trip the pillow out of its cover as it was full of hair and sleep on my towel spread. The top bunk was extremely small with no side bars so it is extremely dangerous. There was just one small cupboard for the two of us where we could only put in our wallets, watches etc and the luggage had to be kept on the floor. The hostel is not in a very convenient location either. Of course it is a 10 minutes walk from La Ramblas however it is in a very narrow lane which I dint consider safe. The receptionist was nice and cordial and there is a lift as well however we could not have considered staying in such a crummy hostel so We moved out the next morning.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends