“Very rude obnoxious unhelpful staff!!!”

Urbany Barcelona Hostel
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I booked a month ago when there was plenty of availability with my two friends. On arrival we were given seperate rooms. When I explained we were travelling together the staff didn't care.

His reaction was to ignore my existence and talk to someone else like I wasn't there. Obviously fantastic customer service!

I waited at the front desk to be served and noticed the same staff member be very unhelpful to the the 4 guests before me. I approached the desk and asked if I could move into one of the 3 vacant beds in my friends room. He told me that 2 people were yet to check in and obviously can't split them up. Which of course I agreed but there was still one vacant bed, as i commented. To which he decided to ignore me. The other guest he started to try to talk to even told him to stop and listen to me. "This girl is still trying to talk to you" he said.

Obviously I got nowhere with the staff at this hostel. My friends and I have canceled our future booking and decided to stay somewhere else on our return to Barcelona in a few days.

In addition, while walking through reception we noticed another guest disagreeing with staff as she had booked with friends and were split up.

The room I did stay in without my friends looked like a cyclone hit it and the sheets were gritty like the bed had been slept in.

Stay somewhere else and save yourself the hassle.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Buzzlace
Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed here 2 nights. The room is very small, the bathroom is noisy for the people who are sleeping, there is no towels.

The bar is nice and cheap, many computers in free use, with internet.. location is not central, but close to the metro, that is a good point.

Beds are not very confortable... but the price is quite good value for money, as a backpacker.

Do not expect family ambiance, this is like a big sleeping factory

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm and met some pretty decent people during my stay. Staff are nice and helpful, beds are comfy (to purchase sheets and towels its 2 euro each). Breakfast is included but its not that great (just bread rolls, yogurt, cereal, apples/oranges, jam, and then theres tea, coffee, juice or water). The breakfast definitely wont fill you up. The only downside is sharing bathrooms which some people are not the most well mannered and leave the floor almost flooded after use. There is a club/bar schedule where the hostel can get you free entry and a bus shuttle to get there for 3 euro. Hostel also has a kitchen with utensils and cookware and fridges to store your food (can get crowded in there so make sure to label your own). Wifi worked well and the location is good (Mall 5 minute walk away, beach takes about 40 minutes and you can pass by the zoo on the way there, metro station down the road).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ruo2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I booked two nights on hostelworld after trying to book by phone and being told only online bookings were taken. Hence I had to book two nights in different rooms. I arrived and tried to arrange to stay in the same room, but I was told immediately this was not possible without even looking at the system. The rooms were pricey at almost 30 euro a night, but did include breakfast, though this was not good and machine coffee. Plenty of people were making their packed lunches out of the bread rolls and runny jam. The beds were very comfortable and I managed to get a bottom bunk and a locker key for a very spacious locker, fitting a suitcase. I loved that they had bed lights and both European and British power sockets at the bedhead. The bathrooms are in the rooms, but after one person showers, it is a slippery wet mess!!! You can enter any time of night with your key card system and it was a 5 minute walk from metro Clot-Arago. It's a bit out of the centre and I would probably use another hostel next time as it was too far from the sights for me. The internet was free, but only worked from the 3rd floor and up. They had a fairly cheap launderette and a bar with an outdoor terrace and some computers and snack machines. I noticed they also did free transport to night clubs, hence the majority of the guests being groups of young roudy party people. This means I didn't really sleep as the girls in my room brought boys back and were in and out all night, also setting their alarms early and then kept hitting the snooze button so I was woken up every 15 minutes in the morning. It didn't change when I changed to the next room and in both rooms I had to move people's stuff, which I felt bad about, as they had taken my locker and the key only works on the locker you're allocated. They really should make this clearer on check in. You have access to a public pool and gym around the corner. You also had to pay to hire a towel, which is usual in a hostel, but sheets were not provided, so cost an extra 2 euro. You also have to leave a 10 euro deposit for your key. Overall, good if you want to party, which I did not!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for three nights. We booked it because it was recommended by HiHostels, an organization we have come to trust. From the outside, the hostel looks awesome and we were very excited to be staying at the Urbany Go.

Unfortunately, things quickly went downhill.

We booked our room three months in advance, but after checking in we were given bunks on the opposite side of the room from each other. I explained to management that I didn't want someone random sleeping in the same bunk bed as my fiancé and was told that it would be too difficult to change our assigned beds. At this point, there were three open bunks in our room. It turned out it was absolutely possible, and when I refused to accept different bunks, the receptionist made the switch.

Our bathroom smelled strongly of raw sewage. This is not due to recent use, but was present the entire stay. I'm not sure if there are leaky pipes, but a strong raw sewage smell is unacceptable in a hostel of that price.

The overhead lights in our room did not work at all. While at the front desk, I overheard another guest complaining about this same problem, and the fact that it had still not been fixed since she first complained three days before. Given that there are 8 lights in each room's ceiling, it is clearly not an issue of burned out lightbulbs, but may very well be a money saving choice. Again, this is unacceptable.

The breakfast was mediocre at best. Everything is shut down and is put away exactly at 10am, including the water dispenser.

There are of course good things to say about Urbany Go: quick and robust wifi, free party arrangements, a very nice terrace overlooking Barcelona, and electrical outlets in each bunk.

Urbany Go Barcelona needs to address the problems that many reviewers point out, fix the sewage smell, and allow room lights to operate before charging the prices they do.

Would we go back? Not a chance. We'll give another Barcelona hostel our money and business next time.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was hands down the best and my favourite hostel we stayed in. The staff were friendly and were on hand to help when we needed them. The terrace, bar and communal area really made the stay better as it was so easy to meet other travellers,. The nights out provided by the staff were amazing and getting in for free made it even better. The whole hostel was clean and had air con, the rooms were spacious with a great view and each bed had a light and plug socket. This hostel was more expensive than other hostels we stayed in, but it was well worth the money and would recommend it to anyone. The kitchen was well equipped and had fridges to store food, food can be bought from the bar which was good as well and the wifi was always working and had a good connection. The location was great and there is a shopping centre down the road from the hostel which is worth a visit and the metro was a 2 min walk away.

Room Tip: Try and make sure there are no school trips on your floor