“Breakfast fruit was fab”

Melia Barcelona Sky
Ranked #190 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ulverston, United Kingdom
“Breakfast fruit was fab”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Room was nice and large, bed quite comfy, walk in shower, but very slow draining sink
Breakfast was very good with an excellent choice of fruit and good coffee from the machine (not the jugs)
Within walking distance was a whole street of wonderful restaurants selling authentic Catalan food, not tourist food, at reasonable prices.
Rooms a bit dark, corridors black carpets and stainless steel walls.good metro service into the city centre
Beach within walking distance

Bedside light was broken, not fixed the 5days we were there, although requested. ( just shoved back in the hole) air con difficult to alter, we set it at 18, it varied between 22 and 28 only,so nights were very hot ( only reported this on last day)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Windyhovel
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Windyhovel:

Thank you very much for comments and for sharing your recent stay on trip advisor with the entire world!!

I would like to apologise with you for any inconveniences that we may cuase to you, you can rest assure that we will follow up onthese incidents with our head departments in order to prevent them to happen again.

I would also like to thank you for your positive feedback on our breakfast and our neighborhood.

We really hope to welcome you back for a trouble-free Melia Experience, please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Experience team as soon as you have any plans to visit Barcelona again.

Guest Experience Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel&the staff was nice generally, but this farewell was awful. The hotel has video of this accident and I had seen these who did it. The Staff gave €5 to get to police and helped nothing. Value ~€20K

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Sve8
Dear Sve8,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing with us and other travelers your recent experience with us. I was shocked to read your comments and I sincerely regret your unfortunate experience concerning the robbery that you suffered upon check out. Please allow me to follow up on this important issue. To do so, I would like to talk to you personally, so I kindly ask you to write an e-mail with your email address or telephone number, to the attention of our "Guest Experience Team" at: meliasky@melia.com, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal call or e-mail.

May I take this opportunity to assure you that our hotel always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service and I sincerely hope that your recent experience will not change the good image that you had about Melia Barcelona Sky before this incident . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

If you don't mind living outside the main part of the city, this hotel is a very good choice. Nice atmosphere, especially in the lobby, friendly staff. The next metro station is just in 5 min walking distance and from there you are at plaça catalunya in 10 min (via urquinaona). I would definitely prefer staying in that hotel a little bit outside than in some eat hole in the city centre. In any case you have to take the metro, which leaves every 5 min anyway. Rooms are nice, clean and the restaurant in the hotel enjoys a very good reputation.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Mercutio1980
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Mercutio 1980,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at Melia Barcelona Sky with everybody!!

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcome you back again soon... next time you should try our Dos Cielos Restaurant so you can prove the fantastic reputation that our 1 michelin star restaurant has.

See you soon!!

Haarlem
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel just after it was opened in 2011. Since we liked it, we decided to come back in 2013.
But how bad the hotel looks now. Run down a lot. Duck tape in the shower, and cupboards that lost the doors for sample. Really a pity, because it used to be so nice. The staff is very nice though.
One thing is for sure: we won't come back here.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bumbadeclown
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Bumbadeclown,

We would like to thank you for your critical yet constructive feedback on your last experience with us.

We are terribly sorry to know that your recent visit was not as satisfactory as the previous one. Our aim is to exceed the expectations of our guests and we deeply regret when we do not fully achieve this.

You can rest assure that your comments will be discuss with our head departments in order to prevent this incidents to happen again with other guests.

We would like to ask for another chance to show you the normal yet exceptional service that we offer to our clients and that you've experienced in the past. Please contact our Exerience team if you have plans to come back to Barcelona, I'm sure that we will surprise you in a positive way.

Looking forward to welcome you back again soon to Melia Barcelona Sky!

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Modern and luxury hotel with large room in the central of Barcelona, Diagonal street.I had room with very nice view on the hi floor.Luxury breakfast buffet in modern style restaurant.
Very good staff, I love Melia SKY!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank SERGIY K
Dear Mr. Kralev S,

That's a fantastic review!!

We love that you love Melia Barcelona Sky and we appreciate that you took the time to comment your feedback on trip advisor.

It is most inspiring for all members of our team, to know that we succeeded in our effort. Your delightful comments will indeed be passed on to our Team who will be thrilled to know that their service was highly appreciated.

Looking forward to welcome you back again soon at Melia Barcelona Sky!

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Booked this as a lastminute.com top secret hotel and paid just £65 per night including breakfast in a level room. At this price, I can't complain too much, but if I had paid rack rate I would not be very impressed.

The hotel is out of the centre, but it's easy enough to get to by metro (a 5 minute walk away) or by taxi for around 10 EUR each way and there is a rank outside.

Emailed hotel before arrival advising it was my partner's birthday and requesting an early check-in. Also queried the amount they would put on hold on my credit card and I was advised that it would be 50 euros.

Check-in was in the level lounge and pretty slow. Unlike other reviewers no complimentary drinks were offered, the room was not ready at 12:30 and no mention of my partners birthday. However, the receptionist was pleasant, helped to locate a shop we wanted to visit, charged our phone whilst we went out and took care of our luggage.

Upon our return to the hotel our bags were already in our room which was a nice touch. Our room (2010) was next to a service elevator at the end of the corridor. The bathroom was not overly clean, with the previous occupants hairs around the sink. The bathroom was completely open to the bedroom, no blind or curtain for a little privacy. The toilet was the smallest ever. The shower did not maintain a constant temperature and ran for several minutes after being turned off.

The room (premium city view) was compact, but bright and modern in design. As others have said, the furnishings are showing their age and lots of scuffs, marks, chips etc. We could see the Sagrada Familia and Tibidabo from the bed and the tip of the Agbar tower (rest of which was blocked by a building site). The bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning was very noisy and had to be turned off at night in order to sleep. The remote control for the ipod speakers didn't work. There were only a handful of English channels and movies were 25 EUR. Free wifi was intermittent and rather slow.

On the website it states that all level rooms come with a special welcome gift - we got one apple and half a strawberry. It also says they have Nespresso machines, pillow menu, bathrobe and slippers and aromatherapy kits - we didn't have any of this.

The minibar was extortionately priced. 5EUR for a coke and 38.50EUR for a small bottle of Moet champagne. The room service was also very expensive- 18 EUR for a tiny club sandwich, but at least it was edible, unlike my partners barbecue beef pizza, which should be avoided at all costs. The breakfast was great, with a varied and plentiful selection (including doughnuts, cheesecake and chocolate cake!)

I borrowed an iron and an ironing board. The iron would not have passed an inspection, very dodgy cable with frayed wires.

Our room included access to the lounge where drinks and snacks are provided free of charge, with wonderful city views.

I handed over my credit card at check in believing that I would be paying a 50EUR deposit - they took £290 (the room was fully prepaid!) and it is now 5 days on and they have not given it back or responded to my emails marked urgent, the first of which was sent 32 hours ago. In addition to this, they have taken the 88EUR we spent on room service/ minibar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jlp76
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear jlp76,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to comment on our hotel and the services rendered during your last stay at Melia Barcelona Sky. Critical yet constructive feedback like yours is fundamental to guarantee guest satisfaction, and therefore prevent future incidents from occurring.

At Melia Barcelona Sky our aim is to exceed the expectations of our guests, and we deeply regret when we do not fully achieve this. You can rest assure that we will follow up on all your comments with our head departments.

I would like to express that all guests must leave a form of deposit for the total amount of their stay upon checking in. The official procedure for our Front Office Team is to request a credit and later proceed to block the total amount of their stay, otherwise known as a pre-authorisation. If we experience problems with that card we normally request another option or a cash deposit. I am extremely sorry that you were disturbed by our actions, however our hotel procedures are unfortunately non negotiable and must be respected by our team.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and we look forward t welcome you back so we can demonstrate what would be our normal yet exceptional service in Melia Barceona Sky.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

well, where to start about this hotel? I stayed here with a group of friends for a summer holiday, 2 in one room, 2 in another booked the hotel online, everything about it looked perfect. However that all changed soon as we stepped foot in the door...

We told the reception staff, who in fairness were very helpful and friendly, that we had a room booked for 7 nights. After asking for ID to confirm who we were, we were then asked to present the debit card that we used to book the room with. This seemed odd as we thought the room had already been payed for, however the staff explained that we hadn't yet paid and would be charged at book in (good job we had taken the debit card with us as we were in no way informed that this is how it would work!). This is where things began to get complicated. So, although now a little taken back, we assumed that everything was surely now paid for and we can enjoy our holiday? Not the case. The member of staff dealing with our book in then told us we would have to pay a deposit on the minibar! Eh, why? We had absolutely no plans to use it and made them well aware of this. This was to no avail however and was told we had no choice but to pay a deposit of 50 Euros, per night, just in case we used the mini bar, therefore making the grand total of our mini bar deposit 350 Euros for the week! The amount was debited from the card, along with the fee for the room, meaning we now had very little spending money for week. But then the biggest shock of all was that our friends who had booked a separate room, were NOT asked to deposit 350 Euros a night for the mini bar from their debit card, but instead were told to put 100 euros behind reception in cash which can then be retrieved at the end of the week. One rule for one customer and another rule for another customer, no way to run a business.

After a half hour wait in the lobby, which in fairness was clean and pleasant, if not a little tired, we were eventually given our room. First impressions were good, very clean, well air conditioned and lovely comfy beds. But then the problems soon began. After getting over our view of a building site, the ipod speaker dock we were promised wasn't present. I went and told reception, who were very helpful and brought one up to the room immediately. One of the lamps in the room didn't work, but I wasn't too fussed by this. What did bother me is that the wardrobe light is on a sensor which didn't work properly and flicked on and off all night. The towel rail in the bathroom didn't work, Wi-Fi was impossible to recieve unless you propped open the huge metal door to the room, The wardroble came with 6 coat hangers to use between 2 people for a week and there were no tea or coffee making facilities. The room in general, athough kept very clean, was tired and dated and needed a makeover desperately. The beds were incredibly comfy though, never failing to get a great nights sleep (except for the wardrobe light keeping me awake of course).

The other parts of the hotel were a little better. The pool area was well maintained, although a little small for the size of the hotel. However, ordering any sort of drink would've cost a fortune, which I couldn't do anyway because they'd taken all our money at check in, and was told off for drinking my own drink at the pool, meaning although I was happily getting a nice tan, I was also dying of thirst. The gym was well looked after, but again, very small. The spa, which although I didn't use myself (again, not enough money left to do so), did look rather impressive too. There is a bar in the hotel which I was looking forward to visiting too, but this was never open. Another point to make is that this hotel is NOT 5 stars, it's 4, only one floor of the hotel is 5 stars, very misleading indeed. It's also pretty much in the middle of nowhere and the area smells vile and is run down.

On check out we were in for a further shock, and we were charged for the room for a second time from the debit card! At this point we had no money left between us, and had to phone home to get relatives to transfer emergency funds into our account. How embarassing. But, we were assured that the first payment on check in, along with the ridiculous mini bar deposit, would be refunded back in "maybe 2 or 3 days". Very reassuring. And yet our friends were handed back their 100 Euros in cash, no questions asked. Unbelievable. We were delighted to leave this hotel as it meant that they could take no more money from us, finally we were free of this thieving company.
We did finally get all the money we was owed back, but not after 2 or 3 days, it took over a week. And this didn't make up fot the fact they ruined the holiday and left us with no spending money for a whole week.

So to summarise, very average hotel at best, definitely not worthy of 5 stars, or even 4 for that matter. And if you do book make sure to bring your life savings and be conned out of every penny you have. You'd be better off staying anywhere else but here. Melia deserve to be closed down for how we were treated in regards to our payment, who were of course not willing to pay my banks overdraft fees which they had caused. So thanks Melia Barcelona Sky for ruining my holiday and leaving me bankrupt for 2 weeks, I definitely won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ross G
Dear Ross G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring your concerns to us through the Tripadvisor website, following your recent stay with us. Your opinion makes us aware of aspects we must improve and I thank you for this opportunity.

We deeply regret that your visit to Melia Barcelona Sky was not up to your expectations and we are particularly sorry for the issues you had with our service. Please accept our most sincere apologies and allow us to follow up on your comments with our head departments in order to prevent these incidents to happen again.

We would be pleased to be in contact with you in order to get some further details on your stay so we kindly ask you to contact us at meliasky@melia.com. It will be our pleasure to return a message personally.

Thank you in advance and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back again, this time ensuring a trouble-free experience.