“Good location, looks better on the website”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sport Barcelona

Sport Barcelona
Ranked #494 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
dallas, texas
“Good location, looks better on the website”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

We were hoping this hotel would be much better than it was. It looks really nice on the Hesperia website and has a fantastic location in Barcelona (close to La Sagrada Familia and many other important architectural sites) but it is just ok.

I really liked the view we had since we could see Sagrada Familia from our room. There are no facilities to speak of in the hotel - no bar, no restaurant and the attached sports club doesn't really seem to want customers from the hotel to use the facility for some reason, even though the hotel is promoted as a sports club and the room we got was supposed to have sports club access for our entire stay. You can order pizzas through a local pizza chain as "room service" but we didn't try it. The staff was nice enough but seemed reluctant to make recommendations of restaurants in the neighborhood. The business center is a computer in a corner of the lobby.

It was easy to get to all of the things we wanted to see and do from this hotel and we liked the neighborhood, but overall we were disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Families
Celebration, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

I stayed here for my first trip to Barcelona for business. I have to say that I had never heard of the Hesperia Hotel Chain before, and I normally stay at Starwood properties. Since this was closer to the office I would be working in, I figured I would give it a go.

Check-in was easy, note that they do consider this an "athlete" residence...which I am far from. All they did was copy the scantag on my car-keys to my gym back in the USA.

The Room was large, new and clean. I stayed in a superior sport room, which included a queen bed, and smallll working area divided by a half wall in the room.

I was on the "4th" floor, which is the second floor rooms are on in the property. I did note that road noise outside was almost as if I had a window open, so I slept with the TV on. This was very surprising to me as this is a newer property, and I assumed that they would have better soundproofing in place.

The bathroom was very well equipped with a nice welcome amenity kit (complementary) and a good supply of towels. It had both a showertub, as well as a shower. The water pressure was good, however the temperature fluctuated a bit from time to time as others have reported.

Most of the staff is bi-lingual, and can speak some english.

A note about the Metropolitan Club.
You are given a single access to the club during your stay. I was here for over a week, only one access given. The hotel itself has no gym, no spa, no pool, and no rooftop deck. The pictures advertised on the Hesperia site are of the Metropolitan Club which is in the same building. This seemed a bit mis-leading to me. Also, remember to bring your European swimwear, which I was unaware was required. Speedo bottoms and swim caps required..otherwise people stare and point at you until you are drug out of the pool area and then a lot of gesturing occurs if you do not speak Spanish :-)

I did not have the breakfast, however there are numerous bakeries and shops around. There are also two grocery stores directly around the corner to get snacks and drinks as well.

The minibar in the room had space for my own water bottle, however it is not a fridge. It is only a "cooler box" with a light. The tap water was colder :-)

You are less than 2min away from Sagrada Familia, which is actually a plus if you want to be boring and have KFC and McDonalds since it is a tourist area. However one helpful tip is the restaurants in the area are used to non-Spanish speaking people, so they will normally pickup you speak English and be able to communicate very quickly.

The Air-Conditioning is not what I would call the best. My room was cool, however the unit seemed under-powered for the room. I will admit I like it cold, and I was there in August when all of Europe escapes to cooler climates, however don't think you can get the "arctic breeze" you can with other properties.

The WiFi and wired Ethernet access worked well. Just make sure to ask for your code when you check-in.

The business center is in the lobby, it consists of a canon pixmia printer, and a windows XP desktop. I traveled with my macbook pro, so I did not use it. When I needed to print something, the front desk was able to arrange it. I was unable to print from the room, however they said it was a known issue and they were working to fix it. They did not charge anything for me to print as a result.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank EOppie
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

The room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was large and lovely-- it had the most amazing shower I've ever seen. Although it is located out of the city (it's a long walk to the water) it is literally a block away from La Sagrada Familia, which is always fun to walk around.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here in July for 3 nights and were really impressed by the room's interiors for the price we paid. It had new fixtures and warm inviting colors. Internet is also included in the room rate. Just a few doors down, there's a supermarket to buy drink or snacks - nice convenience.

I would recommend that you request a room on a higher floor. The hotel shares the building with a gym/spa, where they have fitness classes. On the 3rd floor, we could hear the class - music beat and dull voice of the instructor - in the afternoon and one morning. Hopefully, you won't have this problem if you're on the 4th or 5th floor.

We also had the incident where the air conditioning system was dripping water into the room. They didn't have a maintenance person available to fix the problem at night and the hotel was completely booked, so we had to deal with the sound of dripping water. I did not have a very good night's worth of sleep. Not sure if something could have been done or maybe by then we were use to how things go in Spain. Most likely this was a one-off. On the plus side, Reception was very apologetic.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Had a great stay at this hotel. The room had views of the Sagrada Familia plus clean and comfortable rooms (amazing pillows!). Great shower. Staff were very helpful at all hours and the spa/gym next door (Metrolpolitan Club) is one of the best I have visited. Up to date machines and relaxing jacuzzis plus pool.

There is a supermarket practically across the road for any little things you may need. Metro in very close proximity (2 stations in fact). I would recommend this place to friends and would most probably stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends