“Spacious rooms and good location but lacking atmosphere”
Review of Sport Barcelona

Sport Barcelona
Ranked #496 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Booked a superior room through hotels.com for 360 EUR for 4 nights. E-mailed the hotel in advance and requested a room on 5th floor to avoid noise. Was told none of the superior rooms are facing Sagrada Familia.

Taxi from BCN T1 was approximately 30 EUR/30 minutes from the airport (Sunday afternoon) and 40 EUR opposite direction (Thursday morning).

Receptionist informed us that due to low occupancy breakfast (14 EUR, I think) should be ordered the night before. We were allocated room 501 which was very large with 3 floor-to-ceiling windows looking down on the streets and were not asked to present a membership card to a sports club. Nice bathroom with toiletries, slippers, robes, shower and bath tub. However, the water pressure was very unreliable, especially the hot water. Two small flat screens, one facing the bed, the other facing the sofa. Large mini bar. Room was nice and spacious but there seems to be a general lack of attention to details such as no mini bar pricelist, no telephone list, coffee machine was not refilled and no overview of facilities. Free and fast wireless internet. Good location 5 mins walk from Sagrada Familia and sub-way station.

Was given one day access to spa/gym per person. The gym/spa is nice but very busy and could be any other health club outside the hotel and is not really targeting hotel guests. Apart from access to the independent gym next door, the hotel has no facilities such as restaurant, room service, concierge, bar, etc. so do consider avoiding this property if you like to spend some time in your hotel and enjoy its facilities. Due to lack of facilities the property has no real atmosphere to it and should be seen more as an apartment hotel than a proper hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2009

This hotel is a block from Sagrada Familia in a very safe neighborhood; cabs are cheap in Barcelona & you can get anywhere quickly from this hotel, on foot or by cab. We booked a superior room; it was very large, as was the bathroom. (There is no carpeting, so bring your slippers.) The shower was fabulous. Safe-in-room was very convenient, and there was room in the mini-bar for one's own supplies. The free wi-fi worked very well. The breakfast included in the rate was terrific. Now for the downside: everyday, Monday-Friday, there are spinning or pilates classes in the gym/spa which occupies the entire 2nd floor of the building. The music is skull-numbingly repetitive & deafening: if you are on the 3rd floor as we were, it's as if the exercisers are in the room with you. The floors & walls vibrate. The spa/gym belongs to a different company & the hotel staff (for whom I felt very sorry) have *no control* over what goes on in the gym: they begged the gym staff to turn down the music and they were ignored. I begged them too, in both Spanish & English, & I was ignored. Perhaps if you stayed on the top floor (5) or on the weekend (when there were no classes) you would not hear the music which on some days started at 11:00 AM and finished at 11:00 PM (it never finished earlier than 9:00 PM). If you read other reviews, this is a known problem & the hotel has to find a way to address it. (At first we were told there was a broken door in the spa/gym, but the music went on and on and on.)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cottagehome
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Really enjoyed, relaxed, loved the atmosphere, furtinure, personell.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We were hoping this hotel would be much better than it was. It looks really nice on the Hesperia website and has a fantastic location in Barcelona (close to La Sagrada Familia and many other important architectural sites) but it is just ok.

I really liked the view we had since we could see Sagrada Familia from our room. There are no facilities to speak of in the hotel - no bar, no restaurant and the attached sports club doesn't really seem to want customers from the hotel to use the facility for some reason, even though the hotel is promoted as a sports club and the room we got was supposed to have sports club access for our entire stay. You can order pizzas through a local pizza chain as "room service" but we didn't try it. The staff was nice enough but seemed reluctant to make recommendations of restaurants in the neighborhood. The business center is a computer in a corner of the lobby.

It was easy to get to all of the things we wanted to see and do from this hotel and we liked the neighborhood, but overall we were disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I stayed here for my first trip to Barcelona for business. I have to say that I had never heard of the Hesperia Hotel Chain before, and I normally stay at Starwood properties. Since this was closer to the office I would be working in, I figured I would give it a go.

Check-in was easy, note that they do consider this an "athlete" residence...which I am far from. All they did was copy the scantag on my car-keys to my gym back in the USA.

The Room was large, new and clean. I stayed in a superior sport room, which included a queen bed, and smallll working area divided by a half wall in the room.

I was on the "4th" floor, which is the second floor rooms are on in the property. I did note that road noise outside was almost as if I had a window open, so I slept with the TV on. This was very surprising to me as this is a newer property, and I assumed that they would have better soundproofing in place.

The bathroom was very well equipped with a nice welcome amenity kit (complementary) and a good supply of towels. It had both a showertub, as well as a shower. The water pressure was good, however the temperature fluctuated a bit from time to time as others have reported.

Most of the staff is bi-lingual, and can speak some english.

A note about the Metropolitan Club.
You are given a single access to the club during your stay. I was here for over a week, only one access given. The hotel itself has no gym, no spa, no pool, and no rooftop deck. The pictures advertised on the Hesperia site are of the Metropolitan Club which is in the same building. This seemed a bit mis-leading to me. Also, remember to bring your European swimwear, which I was unaware was required. Speedo bottoms and swim caps required..otherwise people stare and point at you until you are drug out of the pool area and then a lot of gesturing occurs if you do not speak Spanish :-)

I did not have the breakfast, however there are numerous bakeries and shops around. There are also two grocery stores directly around the corner to get snacks and drinks as well.

The minibar in the room had space for my own water bottle, however it is not a fridge. It is only a "cooler box" with a light. The tap water was colder :-)

You are less than 2min away from Sagrada Familia, which is actually a plus if you want to be boring and have KFC and McDonalds since it is a tourist area. However one helpful tip is the restaurants in the area are used to non-Spanish speaking people, so they will normally pickup you speak English and be able to communicate very quickly.

The Air-Conditioning is not what I would call the best. My room was cool, however the unit seemed under-powered for the room. I will admit I like it cold, and I was there in August when all of Europe escapes to cooler climates, however don't think you can get the "arctic breeze" you can with other properties.

The WiFi and wired Ethernet access worked well. Just make sure to ask for your code when you check-in.

The business center is in the lobby, it consists of a canon pixmia printer, and a windows XP desktop. I traveled with my macbook pro, so I did not use it. When I needed to print something, the front desk was able to arrange it. I was unable to print from the room, however they said it was a known issue and they were working to fix it. They did not charge anything for me to print as a result.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank EOppie
Reviewed 10 August 2009

The room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was large and lovely-- it had the most amazing shower I've ever seen. Although it is located out of the city (it's a long walk to the water) it is literally a block away from La Sagrada Familia, which is always fun to walk around.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here in July for 3 nights and were really impressed by the room's interiors for the price we paid. It had new fixtures and warm inviting colors. Internet is also included in the room rate. Just a few doors down, there's a supermarket to buy drink or snacks - nice convenience.

I would recommend that you request a room on a higher floor. The hotel shares the building with a gym/spa, where they have fitness classes. On the 3rd floor, we could hear the class - music beat and dull voice of the instructor - in the afternoon and one morning. Hopefully, you won't have this problem if you're on the 4th or 5th floor.

We also had the incident where the air conditioning system was dripping water into the room. They didn't have a maintenance person available to fix the problem at night and the hotel was completely booked, so we had to deal with the sound of dripping water. I did not have a very good night's worth of sleep. Not sure if something could have been done or maybe by then we were use to how things go in Spain. Most likely this was a one-off. On the plus side, Reception was very apologetic.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple