“Pleasant Hotel”

Barcelona Princess
Ranked #189 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend in May (27th - 30th) 2013 as a 21st Birthday present to him. I read the reviews and a lot of people said the double beds was just two singles pushed together, which i hate, so i emailed the hotel 3 months prior to our trip to ask for a real double bed. I got a response within a couple of days. I also asked them to send me some sort of gift voucher to present my boyfriend with as a present. They was very helpful and sent something over. I ended up making my own but was pleased none the less with their help.

When we arrived we was shown to our room which I think was on the same floor as the pool, we had an okay view of the diagonal but the room was freezing. We wasn't the only people that thought so, they was also a conference going on in the building across the road and a few men we spoke to in the lift one day said their rooms was also freezing. Our bed was a real Double bed, 1 gold star. Clean room, small but modern, with a balcony. The bathroom was huge, although it only had a shower, no bath, but we prefer showers, so no bother for us. We didn't notice how cold the room was until we came back to the hotel on the first evening and the sun had gone down. we called reception and asked if we could have the heating on, they said the heating does not come on in may and that was it. I had to go to sleep in a long sleeve top, leggings and my dressing gown. On the day before we came home i got so annoyed because i was so cold so i went down to reception and complained about how cold the bedroom was, they was a lot more helpful and moved us to lovely room with the most amazing view electric blinds and was so much warmer, the bathroom was separated by glass which obviously wast a problem for us, but if this might be for some people, font worry, there is a blind. The only problem was this room didn't have a balcony, my boyfriend is a smoker so he called back down to reception to see what they could do, they then moved us to a junior suite, which sounds good but i actually preferred the second room with the view. The only difference was when you first walked into the junior suit you has a desk, a sofa and an arm chair, no tv. Then you went through to the bedroom which was small with an en suite.

Breakfast was good. Lots of choice, eggs, bacon, bread, toast, pastries, yogurts, cereal and more.

The hotel is right at the other end of the diagonal which we didn't find to be a problem, there is a tram stop right outside the hotel and the metro was about 5 minutes walk, takes 10 minutes to get into the center. The first day we walked all the way to the centre which took a couple of hours as we kept stopping to go in shops or take photos.

We didn't have any other meals at the hotel.

I would HIGHLY recommend to rent a scooter, It was amazing they come with Tom Toms with programmed routes to take you from one sight to another so you can see the whole of Barcelona. The owner of the Scooter shop was lovely and really helpful, he told us where to go and were not to go, he will tell you the best places to eat too!

I really loved Barcelona and i didn't feel unsafe once. You here a lot about Barcelona so i was very weary but once i got there i felt fine, i had a cross the body bag and kept it close to me and my eye piled but we was fine.

All in all i had a great trip and would recommend the hotel, i wouldn't go back myself only because i don't tend to go back to the same hotels and i would have preferred to stay a bit close to the center.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms on the 25th floor I think it was
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lola G

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Super good location, loved the rooms, the staff and they gave us also really good advices on what to do around..

I reccommend this hotel for sure!! also the wifi work which is not normal in Spain. All hotels we stayed were saying free wifi, never work, this one did

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luisitosevill
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My first time in Barcelona and after reading all the positive reviews about this hotel I had decided this is the one for me and I made a booking just one week before I arrived on 21st December booked for 11 days over Christmas and new year period.

I was give a room on the 22nd floor Ocean view and wow, very impressive. The room was very spacious and the bed very comfortable and the bathroom with its shower and waterjet body spray was amazing.

I was also treated with a complimentary bottle of champagne and deserts on my birthday 22nd December which was absolutely heavenly.

The hotel prides itself an its service and cleanliness which I can only commend and go above beyond to make sure that guests are happy and issues are dealt with immediately.

There staff all of them including : Reception - Restaurant - Bar and Room Service are superb and offer a first class service which is to be commended.

The facility - pool on 23rd floor and the Sauna were great, but I did spent lot of my time wandering around and seeing the sights and did not have a chance to use them.

There is a great shopping mall Diagonal Ave right next to the hotel and is great for picking up everything you may require. The Metro is only 5 mins walk away and please get a T10 (10 Journeys (€9.80) which is value for money and covers all modes of transport metro/tram/bus (like a travel card) and each journey will be taken off the card which each ticket machines prints on the back of your card once submitted at the start of your journey so you can keep a track of how much you have left, but be warned do not bend of fold this ticket which learned the hard way.

Take a walk down the coast which is breath-taking and a good hour walk will bring to the famous La Rambles.

A bus tour is also advised which you can buy tickets from the square at the beginning of La Rambles and take the Red Route and the Blue Route and make sure you also book at tour of the new camp the home of Barcelona FC which was mind blowing.

All in all a fantastic Hotel a wonderful city and I cannot wait to come back and Stay at the Barcelona Princess and many thanks for a wonderful Christmas and new year.

Room Tip: Choose a Sea View room absolutely glorious to watch the sun rise every morning
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank scoucer s
Reviewed 4 January 2014

No complaints for the hotel or service even though the hotel was a bit out of town but the sauna area was a bit strange perhaps because it was so quiet and the ladle for the water to put in the sauna was broken and the seating area was closed off. No indication where to get a massage or who did it. Try Las Ramblas cafe across the roads for very friendly staff and large measures and cheap..Yes we would go again....

Room Tip: cant see any reason why 1 room should be better than another, although a higher room would have a be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank desles
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here for four nights for the end of the year.
We got the room for a pretty reasonable price (probably since it was off season and we booked in good time in advance). It was spacious with an entrance with a wardrobe, a big bathroom and a room with a big bed + a balcony.
The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. The cleaning service respected the "Do not disturb"-sign and we always could sleep in, something we really appreciated (especially the morning after new years eve..). To me, this is one of the most important things at a hotel!
The bathroom was nice, with a lot of room to put your things around the sink, always clean, we got everything we needed and was provided with clean towels, bathrobes and slippers every day. Lovely. There was also a hair dryer that functioned well, and you can even pretend to be doing weight lifting while drying your hair (very heavy..).

Unfortunately there was some damages in the bathroom, so the water always flooded over the bathroom floor when showering. There was also some mold. I also wish there had been a bathtub, as there was definitely space for it. Maybe it wasn't there since it was obviously a disability friendly room.
There was a minibar in the room which was filled 5 bottles of drinks for free every day (beer, soda, water, etc.) That was very nice, perfect when you get back late for the evening, you're thirsty and shops are closed. The water (Veri) was for some reason very delicious.
There's also free WIFI in the rooms that works perfectly.
The rooms very always very clean, and I appreciated that the bed had a duvet instead of just a thin blanket. It was also very easy to adjust the temperature in the room (was freezing when we arrived).
All the staff we met at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was nice, although very expensive as it wasn't included in our room.
You can use the relax area in 3rd floor for free, and this was nice. We tried the outside swimming pool, which was heated and therefor very comfortable to use even on the 2nd january! Unfortunately it was a bit dirty as well..The sauna was great, but since the men's sauna was empty I used that one, it held about 85 degrees, the temperature in the women's sauna was much lower (in my opinion too low).

I wish the kitchen at the hotel had closed later, since there are no places to eat nearby the hotel in the evening, so you need to plan your eating schedule. Not many restaurants near the hotel at all, but you can get some cheap food from the cafes across the street, where the staff is very friendly.

All in all, a nice hotel I could absolutely recommend. It's a bit far from the city center, so I recommend buying a Hola-card (metro), since there's a metro nearby that takes you to the city center in 15-20 min. The metro is very easy to use. The metro stops around midnight, so if you want to stay out late I recommend staying somewhere else, or be prepared to use money on taxis. It's probably best staying here during summer, when you can really enjoy the swimming pools, the balcony or the beach.

I would also recommend to consider booking a Desigual-room if it's not too pricey, at least the Desigual Loft in 23rd floor was awesome.

PS: Do not take the train from the airport! The train only takes 30 min from the airport to Passeig de Gracia, but getting from here to the hotel with the metro took us an entire hour, caused by a lot of walking underground, and numerous stairs, very annoying when you're carrying a lot of luggage. I think they were working on the metro station during our stay, so it could be because of this. It's probably better to either take a taxi or the airport-bus to Placa Catalunya, and then the metro, at least as long as it's like this.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristine K
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the Princess four nights for New Year's Eve 2013-14. It was pretty cheap (roughly 80 EUR per night for a standard double room) due to it being off season. The room was fairly spacious with an entrance room and a small balcony. It had a proper queen bed as well and the bathroom was very big, even though it only had a shower and no bath tub. Everything was quite modern but the bathroom was a little worn, with broken silicon around the shower and some mold on the lower door lists. The glass sink had also seen it's best days, and the bath room was handicap equipped, which was strange since we hadn't asked for that.

Our room was on the 8th floor with the balcony facing the city. The view was very nice and probably better than the ocean view. Cleaning service was excellent and never intrusive. Bathrobes, towels and slippers were changed every day and the minibar had complementary refreshments that were filled up every day - a very nice touch!

Breakfast wasn't included in our room, but we decided to try it one of the days. It was decent but very expensive (19 EUR per person). I wouldn't recommend it unless it's included.

There is a small outdoor swimming pool on the 3rd floor which was hot enough for a nice swim even in the winter, and there are saunas next to it along with a small gym. All of it was free of charge. We didn't try the upper pool as it was closed during our stay.

The metro is just 5 mins from the hotel and will take you to the old city center in only 15-20 mins. Overall we had a very nice time at the Princess and can easily recommend it. It's probably even better for a longer stay during the summer season, when you just want to relax at the pool after trips to the busy city center and attractions (because that's what Barcelona is really about!).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hartvix81
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed 14 nights in the Princess Barcelona and were very impressed with the level of service and helpful and friendly staff. Our room was on the 21st floor on the ocean side so we had an awesome view with the hotel only a few hundred metres from the ocean. Check in was effortless. Subway is only about 200 Metres from the hotel so no problem with access to the underground. Internet was the fastest of any of the hotels we stayed at on our last trip. Twice the hotel gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne with a nice dessert - last time was chocolate covered strawberries. This is the first hotel that I've been in that had 5 complimentary beverages in the mini fridge replaced daily including 1 beer/day so that was enjoyed. Nice robes and disposable slippers were also supplied and replaced a number of times during our visit. The outdoor pool on the 23rd floor was heated to a nice warm temperature so that was a treat. The pool is somewhat narrow but long enough that one can swim unless it's overal crowded which wasn't a problem in our stay. There is about 30 radio stations on the television so that was also nice to have music instead of television sometimes.

We had a number of our meals in the mall next door - lots of variety. If you walk to the Mall (or take the tram) at the far end of Avenida Diagonal (about 35 minute walk) there is an Asian Buffet that includes your choice of BBQ'd meats for just under 10/Euro per person (before 5PM) - that was our best value for our meals while in Barcelona that we found.

It takes about an hour to walk to the Sagrada Familia - this is an absolute must see. We like walking and really enjoyed walking down Avenida Diagonal, it's such a wide public pathway - whomever planned out this part of the city is to be commended. We also walked along the ocean into the main harbour downtown - a great walk that would take about 2 hours if one didn't stop along the way.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple