“Poor location for tourists & unsuitable for business”

Catalonia Rigoletto
Ranked #210 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Would I stay here again? No. It's fine for proximity to the stadium or if you have business near by but for tourists or congress attendees it is just not easy to access. The lack of clock, lighting and kettle make it unsuitable for business & the extremely unhelpful guy in the lobby makes it unappealing for me to return. Given the cost you can do better if you are both a tourist or in the area for business.

This hotel, while not pretty from the exterior, is modern & nicely appointed in the interior. The rooms are lovely with comfortable beds and a fantastic shower.The gym is good with a couple of treadmills & elliptical trainers. The breakfast is simple, continental with some hot food available.

Where this hotel suffers though is it it's appropriateness for business given its location. We stayed here as we were attending a congress at Fira near Placa Europa. It is not in a great location if you want to be near the city centre or the congress centre but handy if you want to be near Camp Nou. The metro is about 7 min walk away, but then another 15 mins on the metro to the centre.

The hotel could benefit from better lighting as it is very dark which makes it difficult to work, as well as clocks & kettle in the room. I found it really surprising that they have invested heavily in the hotel & yet there is no digital alarm clock or coffee making facilities. Small concern to most but important to me. The wifi was terrible, it kept locking me out & so I had to sign back in continuously.
Staff were friendly on the whole aside from one man who works at the front desk who could not be less interested in helping you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Paula D
RigolettoCatalonia, Director General at Catalonia Rigoletto, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writting us this comments. You have given to Catalonia Rigoletto the best opportunity to improve in its services, your feedback is more than important for us. Do not hesitate to contact on your nexts visits. Kind regards

Reviewed 8 September 2013

A for star hotel in which you cannot open the window because there is a crappy old building 1 meter. Rooms and interiors are ok but walls are so thin that I had to ask my neighbors to keep their voice low as it felt they were speaking to me.... not worth the 200euro per night price. Front desk not really helpful - a polite person wouldn't get any info ... You need to insist for them to do something. Worthless location: it's close to a mall and the football stadium but that's about it!
Not worth any consideration unless there is a really good reason!

Room Tip: If you need to be here, ask to be facing the street and not the back
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
RigolettoCatalonia, Director General at Catalonia Rigoletto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much to help us to improve with your comments. This feedback is the best quality barometer that we have. Kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here at the end of a trip round Europe. The hotel is very grand and spacious. We had a HUGE bedroom with an amazingly beautiful bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful. Good location for the football stadium and a short metro ride to down town. I would definitely stay here again. 5 stars!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor and the time you spent writting them. We are so pleased and grateful. Do not hesitate to contact us in future visits to Barcelona. Kind regards

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I booked the hotel Catalonia Rigoletto via Tripadvisor, which led me to a company called TravelRepublic with whom I made the booking. When I turned up at the hotel they said the hotel was full and they had no room for me. Instead, they transferred me to another hotel in the same chain, Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel, which was definitely second best for me. I was told that the company I had booked with is not one they normally deal with. So what? - if they accept a booking there should be an available room and they should honour the booking.
Do not book a room with this hotel, because my experience is that you cannot trust them to honour it. It may also be wise to avoid the company TravelRepublic.
Obviously I was unlucky, and there are other bookings which have been honoured, but if you book with this hotel, can you be sure you will not be unlucky too?
I chose the hotel Catalonia Rigoletto because it is within walking distance of the Campus Nord of Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, where I had a week of meetings. Instead, I had the additional expense and time of travelling each day by Metro to my meetings.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex H

Dear guest,
I want to send all my apologizes for your experience and I am at your entire disposal for all you would want to tell me about. In fact we have a lot of repetitors clients, and I think it was an isolated situation. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need another reservation and I will manage it personally. Kind regards

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Very close to the university, but also close to the downtown. Looks fantastic inside, the rooms are spacious and comfy. Beautiful bathroom. Delicious breakfast. I wish to go back soon. Thank you for the helpful stuff. Ciao!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent wrriting your comments. We are more than pleased with and we wait to see you again very soon. Kind regards

Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel from the 29 May for 4 nights before joining a cruise. The bedroom was lovely, very large bathroom and really big shower cubicle. There was a very nice breakfast buffet with plenty of fresh fruit, cereals or cooked breakfast. The staff were all very nice especially Fania who was very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would certainly recommend it.
We booked this hotel through Travel Republic who did not let the hotel know that we needed a bathroom with a shower cubicle rather than a bath because of a disability but the staff were more than helpful and give us exactly what we needed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
thank you very much for telling us your experience. It has a great value for us. We are so pleased, do not hesitate to contact us in the future on your next visits. Kind regards

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Amazingly close to camp nou, the reason we were staying at the place. There is a nice breakfast spread waiting for you in the morning, rooms are spacious and with all the needed amenities, staff is great and very much helpful.
There is a gym which we could not use due to tight schedule though. Really value for money if you are looking for a pplace near the Camp Nou.

Room Tip: Take the one with the bathtub.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
RigolettoCatalonia, Director General at Catalonia Rigoletto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writting this comments. We will be more than pleased to welcome you again in catalonia Rigoletto. Kind regards