“Bad-bugs in the room”

Barcelona 4 Fun Hostel
Ranked #646 of 739 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Guys, it's my worst europe trip!!
Be careful about this place!
Firstly we came to our "apartments with kitchen and private bathroom", it was a small dirty room with one bed, small sink and a dirty hot-plate for one pan which didnt work at all. We asked to remove us to triple room (our friend was to come in a few days to stay with us). They gave us the room)))) no windows, 3x4 meters... And the bed-bugs everythere, we had never seen such an insects before, thats why we notised them only after being completely bitened! We stayed in the room for 3 houres, and now we have been staying on the reception for 2 houres already with baggadge, because there is nobody at night. We have all fotos and will share them as soon as possible!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 September 2013

First, the location is fantastic, BUT finding the place & getting in the first time can be hard. Just note that the outside doors to the street are massive and dark brown. They have a door in-a-door that everyone uses, but you have to have a key. That means you have to wait for someone to come in or out to enter until you get a key. The directions they provide could be improved which I find odd. I would have the most explicit directions if I ran such a business.

Rolling luggage is NOT convenient in this hostel. There is NO elevator. I was glad to have a backpack since you have to go up several flights of stairs. The ceilings are tall in the building which makes for more stair climbing. Some folk really - really struggled with their luggage on the stairs.

Internet - It worked well for us in our room or anywhere else on the floor. We had none of the problems that some have commented on. Perhaps service was down during their visit??

NO Air Conditioning - Ask for a fan if it is summer time. We had a room with a window to an open air chase that extended up from the bottom floor to the open air. Air only circulated within our room when our door was open, but we locked it at night. So, the fan was the ONLY thing that saved us. It was hot enough that I slept with no covers and the fan. No fan = no sleep

Electricity - Because it is an old building, there are not many electrical plugs in the rooms. I believe we had two, but fortunately I was carrying a mini surge protector with three outlets.

Service - the guy who manages the place was nice enough, though very relaxed. The bulb to the overhead light in our room burned out, but after promising to fix it, he did not do so for the remaining three days. We had a torch lamp that saved us, but it was either have the fan plugged in or the torch light (or our electronics on the other side of the room). Otherwise, we had no reason to interact with him, and he was generally unseen.

Cleanliness - Our room and the common room was clean. A cleaning crew came in daily to clean the bathrooms. The large bathroom with a shower on our floor was mildly nasty. It was big which I liked quite a bit, but it could use some improvements. Because it is shared you get to see how casual other people live. It was not terrible for us, but it was odd to see other's personal items (toothbrushes!) lying around in a shared (and presumably unclean) environment. If you tend to be a clean person, then bring shower shoes. I would have been creeped-out to walk barefoot on the bathroom floor.

Kitchen - Having a shared kitchen was nice in theory. The refrigerator was worthlessly warm, and smelled absolutely FOUL! I could not figure out what made it smell so terrible. A new appliance with better staff oversight would be a welcome addition.

Noise - I had no issue with noise regulation. We were quiet and off to sleep around midnight each night so I was not an offender. On our last night a few guys were really really drunk - and still awake at 5am when we got up. They were making too much noise, but did quiet down when they saw us stirring. I am not a light sleeper so that coupled with the fan masked any other sound issues.

If you are looking for a real social hostel, then you should look elsewhere. I liked the location. Use my comments above as a guide so you will know what you are getting into.

Price - I think for the price you are getting a fair deal. Barcelona can be expensive, and this was a great location in the old section of the city with the wonderful alleys around you. The nearest beach is a brisk 10 minute walk.

Room Tip: If it is hot, then ask for a fan!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My friends and I booked this hostel last minute because it was relatively cheap and in a good location. Because it was last minute, we probably got what we paid for, but we would never stay here again and here are the reasons why:

-The "free wifi" doesn't work in the room or anywhere else in the hostel
-There was only one plug in the room that the (tiny, old) fan was plugged into, which was necessary to keep plugged in because it was brutally hot. Luckily we had a window that opened up to the outside but most rooms do not.
-The rooms are old and pretty dirty, it doesn't seem like they keep the place clean. The bathroom was in a similar condition, the floors were dirty and the shower curtain was moldy.
-The staff was generally unhelpful, indifferent and unfriendly.
-MAKE SURE YOU ARE SILENT AFTER 23 HR. This is our most important piece of advice. We were in our room listening to music (quietly) and talking, and the security guard for the building came and knocked on our door multiple times, even after we turned the music off and were whispering. He was extremely rude, told us we needed to go to bed, and even insinuated that we had "mental problems." We talked to other girls in the hostel who said he yelled at them because he could hear them texting. He was the worst person we came across during our time traveling in Europe and he made our already bad experience at this hostel significantly worse.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked a room thought booking.com with private bathroom, when I arrived there they gave me a shared bathroom one (I'm not even sure there are rooms with private bathrooms!), for 15 euros less.
The hostel is located in an old flat, everything is in wood with a cracking white painting. It doesn't worth it, for 60 euros I got a private room for 2 with shared bathroom : the room was justbig enough for the bed. There is no sign of the hostel in the street, you need to ask.
And the worse : you need to pay 5 euros to leave your luggage after checking out.
If you don't care about in what you sleep but only about the location : go for it, because it's in the gothic quarter, really well located, if not : RUN AWAY!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

It had what I needed: it was clean, secure and extremely well located. I stayed at an apartment apart of the building since I booked a private 3 bedroom, and I was with my mom and brother (who were at a hostel for the very first time). The only thing was that there was only a small fan so it got pretty hot during the day, otherwise, taking into account the price, I think it was a good hostel. Also, we had a lot of suitcases so it was not very nice to get them up, but luckily we only did it once. About the noise... you´re in Spain, get used to it!

Room Tip: ask for a first floor if you have a lot of suitcases, also, make sure they have enough fans if you g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is the worst 'hostel' I have stayed at. We were not advised that we had to pay 5 euros for leaving our bags in the storage room after we checked out. They should not impose a charge for this. I have never come across a hotel or hostel that charges to leave your bags there. We had to carry the bags up and down 5 flights of stairs for this privilege. There are no signs for the hostel reception and no lift. The apartments do not look the same as the pictures posted on the site. Daily cleaning is not available and there were no clean towels provided. It is very noisy near the apartments.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatieGould
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have never stayed at a hostel and being the princess I am I was not very optimistic. I guess I was kind of surprised by this place. We had a hard time finding it the first night after landing at the airport but after getting up to the main building, we had an employee as our guide.

We chose a 3 person private apartment, because God knows I wasn't going to make it through using a shared bathroom or sleeping with strangers. We literally had our own apartment complete with a small kitchen, living room, futon, 3 twin beds, bathroom and shower. The place was kind of run down, but I expected that. The bedding kind of freaked me out, but I had brought my own cocoon. The bathroom wasn't anything great but for 39 euros per night, it didn't take much to impress me.

My only complaint is the outside noise. Our room was on one of the busy streets in the Gothic Quarter. I loved being so close to everything, literally across from a market, grocery store, clothing, shoes, market, pharmacy and tapas place. However, this came with the unfortunate price of noise. The windows don't really shut, so you pretty much hear people until 6am (which is when Barcelona goes to sleep.) Even having my ear plugs shoved deep into my ear didn't help this problem. The 5 story brick buildings don't help the noise either. The second night we turned on the small fan which helped a little, but counteracting the cold with the space heater created a temperature battle.

Needless to say, we moved to a hotel at the airport for a good night sleep before our red-eye back to America. I'm really glad we did...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends