“don't bother”

Ranked #266 of 9,594 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$20 - US$32
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Lausanne, Switzerland
“don't bother”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My boyfriend and I recently dined at Onofre. He had been there before and spoke highly of it, so my expectations were high - and unfortunately, not met. First, while they have a nice wine list representing most Spanish regions, beware - as only a fraction of the wines on the list are actually available. The server (I think she might have been the owner too) served us something other than what we ordered. It was not until we pointed this out to her that she admitted that she didn't have what we ordered. Second, the food is mediocre - at best. The food is (1) overcooked, (2) not super fresh, and (3) drenched in olive oil (perhaps to mask the mediocre quality of the ingredients?). And for those of you with food allergies, I would suggest that you NOT dine here. Our server understood little-to-no English. As a foreigner with poor Spanish skills, I realize that this is my problem, not hers. But I have a severe allergy and thus, we asked a fellow diner who did speak Spanish to clearly explain my food allergy. The server said she understood and it would not be a problem. Nonetheless, my food contained the allergen and I had a bad reaction. Maybe it was just a bad night (we all have those!). But can say that with all the excellent restaurants in Barca, I will not be back to this one.

• Visited June 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New York, NY
“Charming Wine and Tapas Restaurant - Loved It!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Onofre is a wonderful little tapas restaurant (and wine shop) in Barcelona. The food is superb and very authentic and the staff is delightful. This city is filled with tapas bars, by Onofre is definitely one of the best! I will return every time I find myself in Barcelona.

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Excellent food in quaint surrounding”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We went here based on what we read in Wine Spectator article and were not disappointed. The tapas menu was great. Plates were decent sized and everything was very tasty. The wine list is extensive, but definitely skews toward red wines. We wanted a Grenache Blanc, but there weren't any on the menu. The hostess provided us with several other options and we settled a wonder Albariño instead.

I'm not sure that I'd say the cuisine was all that inventive, but it was quite solid and served at an appropriate pace to allow a wonderful meal.

Be aware that the staff isn't well versed in English, but we were able to stumble through without much issue. In the end, I kind of liked that better since it sort of made it feel a bit more authentic as opposed to all the other places where it's like you're back in the states.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank jpmnyc
london
“Loved it”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this place by chance. I wanted a small but delicious something and there is so much bad tapas and paella about that its not always easy to find what you really like. Heres a tip, if the resturant has a picture of their food then you are likley to be disappointed. This menu was different and immediatley appealing and interesting. I had a warm goats cheese salad on tomato with parma ham in a honey and pink peppercorn dressing. The other dish we ordered was a pear and goats cheeses tatan 5 euros each. Great value. Nice place.

1 Thank LondonBluepalm
Durban, South Africa
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We went there for dinner. None of the waiters / owners could speak English, nor did they particularly try. A bit of an attitude.

There are hundreds of red wines to choose from, but unless you can read spanish, it may as well have been two.

The same for the food, none of the dishes were memorable, and unfortunately with one or two we did not understand the menu and it came with an ingredient/spice we did not like.

Would not go back......