This was our first stay at Mandarin and our expectations were quite high. Unfortunately the overall experience just wasn't what we hoped for.
Firstly, the location is truly superb if you're into shopping. The hotel is in the center of Barcelonas biggest shopping street, but there's plenty of reviews telling you this already.
The thing that seems surprising is how outdated the Mandarin website is. It really isn't today's standards. Very unpleasant to use, but once you figure out the logic, it get it job done. For that I'm rating the website ***
When we checked in, the staff seemed very concentrated in their on going business. To be fair we arrived early due to our flight and they said they can have the room ready in 15 minutes. We were directed to the Bankes Bar for coffee and some refreshments which was nice. However, the 15 minutes turned into 45 minutes and when I went ot ask about the room status, the reception called house keeping who apparently had forgotten the whole matter. So it took another 20 minutes to get our room.
We had the Terrace room which has a nice little balcony towards the courtyard. The design of the room was very nice with very high quality materials all over. Only downside would be slightly small size of the room. For our room I'd rate it *****
A thing to know (at the time of writing 07/12) is that the property next to the hotel is being remodeled to Mango and the noice really is something you might want to check before cheking in. The jack hammer started quite early and went on throughout the day. Especially disturbing this was in the spa downstairs, where it really sounded like they were coming through the walls.
The spa itself is nice, and staff was very kind, but really disturbing issue was the fact that propably due to the renovation behind the wall, the whole pool & relaxation area had a extremely strong smell of sewage through our stay. I wondered why the saff didn't put some sort of incense of aromatic oils to diffuse the smell.
The rooftop was one of the reason we chose this hotel. We were looking for centrally located luxury hotel with a rooftop pool. As the website says, it really is a "dipping pool" that is about 50cm deep. So no laps there. It seemed like the whole rooftop was an after thought for the establishment since it just felt neglegted in general. Our absolutely most positive experience during our stay was the young man, Nathan who worked the rooftop (from noon to 22:00). Very kind, helpful and great attitude. Besides him, it felt like the place was run by interns.
Drinks and service could take up to 40 minutes to get to the roof and the consistency of offering was very diverse. Our group ordered dishes that others had earlier and each time the dish was with a different recipe or ingredients. This also was the issue with courtyard resaturant Mimosa.
My advice is to call the hotel first and ask about a) the next door renovation b) spa pool noise and smell. Other than that if they manage to get the service up to speed, this would be a wonderful city center hotel.
Overall, when ever the staff was adressed, they were very courteous and seemed active, but for me the ball just seemed to drop jst when it shouldn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona is an elegant, contemporary hotel in the heart of the avant-garde city's celebrated Passeig de Gracia. Located in a renovated mid-20th century building, this 120-room hotel, offers exceptional services and facilities including an award-winning spa, innovative dining at BistrEau by Angel Leon and two Michelin-starred dining by Carme Ruscalleda, within an exquisite interior created by world renowned Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Mandarin Oriental and Priceline so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona Hotel Barcelona
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona Catalonia