“GREAT SERVICE”

Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona
Ranked #24 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here in June and it was our first time staying at a Mandarin Oriental. We were very happy with our pick. The interior of the hotel is very unique and art deco and a perfect fit for Barcelona. However the service is really what stood out as excellent.. The most important was that the concierge was beyond helpful. Also the spa services were incredibe.

The only drawback which the hotel really can't help is that there was construction next to the rooftop pool.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christinam11

Reviewed 15 July 2012

First, the positives:
The Oriental is on a wonderful street, filled with the finest high end shopping in all of Barcelona. It is safe, convenient, and surrounded by outstanding restaurants, which is simple to do, as Barcelona is a food city.
There are not one, but TWO Gaudi buildings to tour on this street, and they are amazing!
The hotel is short walking distance from the Ramblas, Barcelona's most famous street, but one that has been fraught with pickpockets.
Their signature restaurant (Moments) is outstanding, and deserves their Michelin One Star rating.
Their spa is terrific, and after the long flight over to Barcelona, I badly needed to restore my body and sanity. Our flight over had been delayed due to mechanical issues for nine hours, making the trip from California grueling.
The rooms are okay, nothing special. Yes, it's a Mandarin Oriental, and anyone that complains about these rooms needs some serious relection, but if I'm completely honest, I've stayed at far better at both Four Seasons and other MO's. We were upgraded to a deluxe room overlooking their terrace (nothing special), and the room dimensions were small, the bathroom was just so so, and I simply wasn't blown away.
I was caught between coming here and staying at the Palace, and to be honest, the next time I go to Barcelona, that's where I'm going to stay, as it's going to be at least as good.
The hotel is relatively new, so everything is clean and peachy, but it lacks character, and if the hotel isn't WOW, this is AMAZING (and it isn't), I'd go for the character. Sorry, MO, but this is as close to a "negative" review that I've given. It was simply okay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank steve l
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Location, location, location! I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It's perfect!
Regarding the hotel rooms and service: fantastic! My family and I travel frequently and only stay in luxury hotels (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental and some Starwood) so my expectations are always high. This property did not disappoint. We had two adjoining rooms (we traveled with our 2 kids) overlooking the Passage de Gracia. The view was great! We were worried about street noise, as it's a busy avenue. But it was surprisingly quiet. The windows in the rooms are very thick and must cancel out much of the noise. I would recommend the rooms overlooking the Passage de Gracia because the view is much better than the garden rooms with the terrace. The staff was excellent! Catering to our every need. They never said no! And the service was prompt and friendly. Nicolas on the roof deck was great. And the butler, last name Walsh, was super helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. When we return to Barcelona, I will definatley stay at the Mandarin Oriental!

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I spent 4 night in this hotel, and must say they serve nice breakfast there, and it is located very well by all the nice shops.

The concierge is very helpful.

I stayed in a terrace room, but i do not recommend it at all, because the view is just terrible.

Other wise the hotel was nice to stay in, and i will go back if visiting barcelona again, but wont book for terrace

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank JuJu-Dubai
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Location cannot be beat. Right in the center of everything, amazing restaurants within walking distance, easy walk to all the historic areas, quick cab ride to the must sees of Barcelona. I cannot imagine a better location.

We were offered an upgrade to a terrace room. Traveling with my wife and child, the downgrade standard room was bigger. The difference with the upgrade is an outdoor balcony which frankly we didn't need. The rooms were not huge, but stunning in decor and so quiet. We are fanatic about loud rooms and hearing noises, and this was one of the quietest rooms we have ever stayed at even though we were facing the busy street!

Moments is amazing. Food all around in the hotel is great - the Michelin Star restaurant is worth the experience and did not disappoint. Concierge steered us to amazing places each night. Great recommendations.

Highlight of the entire trip was we were there on the big holiday where fireworks were going off all over town. The rooftop was closed, and our 3 1/2 year old wanted to see the fireworks. The staff let us up on the roof to watch the show (which we loved - amazing seeing fireworks over Barcelona). When we got back to the room, there was a handmade card with my child's name on it and pictures of fireworks signed by the entire staff. A definite keepsake, beyond thoughtful.

We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Consider whether you want the upgrade. You get a balcony, but the downgraded room is larger and tha...
3  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 10 July 2012

As you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental this hotel is simply stunning.

From the moment you arrive you are treated impeccably, the service was comparable to that you find in Asian hotels - no mean feat in Europe. Normally you just cant compare Asian and European hotels as the service is Asia is by far superior, but this MO has really nailed it.

The hotel itself has been renovated sensitively and elegantly, with the space available being used to the best advantage.

The check in was slick and professional, with discreet questions being made about our stay without feeling intrusive.

The room was slightly smaller than expected, but decorated to the standard you would expect with great unexpected touches.

There is a very small (and cold!!) pool on the roof with fairly limited seating it has to be said, but as this is a new hotel I should imagine they will spot this teething problem and provide more sun loungers shortly.

Breakfast was a real treat, not just the food (which was of course divine), but the restaurant itself is so chic and airy you want to drag out the breakfast as long as possible.

Location is excellent, on Paseo de Gracia, with everything on your doorstep.

Keep up the good work MO Barcelona - I would return tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was our first stay at Mandarin and our expectations were quite high. Unfortunately the overall experience just wasn't what we hoped for.

Firstly, the location is truly superb if you're into shopping. The hotel is in the center of Barcelonas biggest shopping street, but there's plenty of reviews telling you this already.

The thing that seems surprising is how outdated the Mandarin website is. It really isn't today's standards. Very unpleasant to use, but once you figure out the logic, it get it job done. For that I'm rating the website ***

When we checked in, the staff seemed very concentrated in their on going business. To be fair we arrived early due to our flight and they said they can have the room ready in 15 minutes. We were directed to the Bankes Bar for coffee and some refreshments which was nice. However, the 15 minutes turned into 45 minutes and when I went ot ask about the room status, the reception called house keeping who apparently had forgotten the whole matter. So it took another 20 minutes to get our room.

We had the Terrace room which has a nice little balcony towards the courtyard. The design of the room was very nice with very high quality materials all over. Only downside would be slightly small size of the room. For our room I'd rate it *****

A thing to know (at the time of writing 07/12) is that the property next to the hotel is being remodeled to Mango and the noice really is something you might want to check before cheking in. The jack hammer started quite early and went on throughout the day. Especially disturbing this was in the spa downstairs, where it really sounded like they were coming through the walls.

The spa itself is nice, and staff was very kind, but really disturbing issue was the fact that propably due to the renovation behind the wall, the whole pool & relaxation area had a extremely strong smell of sewage through our stay. I wondered why the saff didn't put some sort of incense of aromatic oils to diffuse the smell.

The rooftop was one of the reason we chose this hotel. We were looking for centrally located luxury hotel with a rooftop pool. As the website says, it really is a "dipping pool" that is about 50cm deep. So no laps there. It seemed like the whole rooftop was an after thought for the establishment since it just felt neglegted in general. Our absolutely most positive experience during our stay was the young man, Nathan who worked the rooftop (from noon to 22:00). Very kind, helpful and great attitude. Besides him, it felt like the place was run by interns.

Drinks and service could take up to 40 minutes to get to the roof and the consistency of offering was very diverse. Our group ordered dishes that others had earlier and each time the dish was with a different recipe or ingredients. This also was the issue with courtyard resaturant Mimosa.

My advice is to call the hotel first and ask about a) the next door renovation b) spa pool noise and smell. Other than that if they manage to get the service up to speed, this would be a wonderful city center hotel.

Overall, when ever the staff was adressed, they were very courteous and seemed active, but for me the ball just seemed to drop jst when it shouldn't.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing rooms also face a childrens ball court and on few nights it was really loud until q...
1  Thank Joni K