There is no point in choosing a Mandarin as a value proposition in business terms. As their expensive "she's a fan" advertising campaign (which you pay for in your room rate) indicates, Mandarin is all about fashion, celebrity and cool.
But cool, as Apple shows, can be superior in functionality as well as design. Here the Mandarin fails. At first blush, your bedroom looks sleek, modern fixtures, earth tones. But the room was not prototyped; the designer did not sleep there.
As reviewers have stated, the shower stall can overflow, the sink is too shallow, lighting is too low, the desk chair is hopelessly uncomfortable, it's hard to find the window shade controls, the bath towels aren't plush enough, you have to call housekeeping for an adaptor. In addition, to be charged for wifi on top of the very high room rate is rubbing it in.....but if that worries you, you probably shouldn't be staying here.
All that said, the room design and fixtures are very attractive and have the Zen-like feel you expect from a Mandarin. Sound insulation is also good. But if you want to be comfortable and not cramped, you must book a Deluxe rather than a Standard room.
Service is very responsive and friendly, more than sufficient to compensate for the occasional oversight. Like the staff, the public areas are warm and welcoming and not wasteful of space. The open rooftop terrace is a valuable bonus, a good place to relax on a fine day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona is an elegant, contemporary hotel in the heart of the avant-garde city's celebrated Passeig de Gracia. Located in a renovated mid-20th century building, this 120-room hotel, offers exceptional services and facilities including an award-winning spa, innovative dining at BistrEau by Angel Leon and two Michelin-starred dining by Carme Ruscalleda, within an exquisite interior created by world renowned Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona Hotel Barcelona
- Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona Catalonia