“Wonderful will return”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful will return”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We loved our recent stay at the W Hotel and would definitely recommend you stay here if you want a 5* beach resort in a city. The accommodation is great as you would imagine but I agree with another contributor the red walls in the corridors leading to the rooms look scruffy and my friends were in a wraparound suite which had stains on the carpet so there are a few areas that need to be looked at. But this is a big busy hotel and the lobby is huge more like an airport departure lounge with great decor and buzzing atmosphere. The best bits for me were the pool area with all white loungers and a great cocktail bar. The beach area is accessed direct from the hotel and this is nice and seems pretty safe with loungers reserved for hotel guests. The sea here
is beautiful it actually glistens with gold glitter (believe me its true !). On the beach front is a selection of really great restaurants but make sure you make a reservation for dinner at he busy times.
If you then want culture a lovely walk along the beach past the marina will take you into town or
hire bikes like we did. Barcelona has it all this is definitely a great destination especially with teenage children.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
St Albans
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Our holiday didn't start well as my wallet was removed from my bag on the way to the Hotel from the Airport. I didn't think it would be a huge issue as we had separated the cash and had enough for seeing Barcelona.
However, even though we had paid for the room in advance, we were asked to pay 750 Euros at check-in from our cash to cover any extras ! No sympathy, nothing - pay up or we won't let you stay in the room you have paid for........
Anyway we hand over a reduced amount of 500 Euros all the while been made to feel like we were trying to con them out of something. A most unpleasant welcome. This somewhat restricted our activities in Barcelona and meant that we had to buy their more expensive drinks and food because our cash was tied up at the Hotel.
The first room they gave us was, and I use the words after a lot of reflection, disgusting ! The sheets were stained, which they replaced quickly, but the sofa was stained all the way along and can't have been cleaned in months. It looked like someone had died on it and then had been left to decompose before being given a quick rub down. Gross, really distractingly horrible. The music from the the Pizza bar below then kicked in with a dull incessant thumping - we politely asked for a new room.
On to room two, dirty as well with a nice smudge of food just outside the door which didn't get cleaned in the 5 nights we stayed there. There was trodden in chewing gum on the carpet inside the room and a big black stain on the sofa. We also found a used earbud in a vase by the sink - lovely !The communal areas of the hotel were generally poorly cleaned away from the main foyer.
A word of warning about the loo - it is a glass box by the shower. You can see the outline of the person inside, you can hear them too which we both found off-putting.
The reception staff were quite arsey especially because the room keys kept on failing to open the room or operate the lift, we along with a lot of other guests had to trudge back downstairs to get them to recode them. Once we were told we needed ID to get it done. "it's in the room" i said, "I'm sorry Sir we need to see some ID". I let my head hit the reception desk and just trudged off to fight another day.
The bar food was reasonable value and very tasty, the pool cocktail bar served excellent drinks and had lovely friendly staff. We preferred to sit on a lounger on the beach which was well staffed, it felt safe and had a lovely cooling sea breeze. Towels are provided and the staff will keep an eye your lounger when in the sea - the sea was very clean and shallow for about 15m.
The hotel is not near any tram or train stop but was a nice walk along the beach and around the habour into town. By Taxi it was only six Euros.
The Gym was excellent with good quality machines and plenty of fresh towels - very spacious too. We didn't have the planned treatments because we were having to watch the money - it looked professional but a little pricey.
The Hotel guests were generally young, trendy, well dressed and well mannered which made the stay easier - it was fun watching the heels coming out after dark ! It was incredibly busy on Sunday night with a outside nightclub around the pool. Be careful of the secondary outside bar though - they wanted 12 Euros cash for a G&T which oddly became 10 Euros when I asked for it to be put on the room. We tried it again later, my wife this time, and the same thing happened.

I would not stay there again, not because it wasn't ok overall, but because they really didn't care - they didn't care about their own image and they didn't look after us well at all.

6 Thank WhitGe
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear WhitGe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about W Barcelona and for your really valuable comments. Any opportunity for improvement through this kind of sincere and constructive feedback is gladly welcome.

I was very sorry to read that you were robbed on the way to the hotel from the airport. Indeed, it wasn´t a good start at all! I was also sorry to learn of your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay. First of all, I would like to express my regret to you for all the nuisance we have caued you, when you were requested to pay cash in advance on your arrival. However, I would like to inform you that the Hotel, as the majority worldwide hotels, requires credit card details or cash at check-in to guarantee the incidentals. I understand that this was the reason why you were requested to pay cash in advance to guarantee the extras. I am sorry if you were not informed of the hotel´s policy.

On the other hand, you raised a point about the cleanliness of the rooms you were assigned, and I am certainly very surprised, as I can assure you that W Barcelona is proud to be of highest quality as per the general opinion of our guests. Neverthless, we will run an investigation to find out with the Director of Style what happened during your stay, and in case the cleanning of the rooms needs to be reinforced, you have my assurances that this will be done.

Finally, we were happy to see that you enjoyed the W Bar, the Wet bar, the beach just in front of the hotel with its sunbeds and the SWEAT with its machines.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to write as we truly value our guests comments and feedback on their experience with W. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance.
Best personal regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I don't even know where to begin - W Barcelona has completely lost its edge. It's tacky (gold curtains) and it should belong in Vegas, not Barcelona, there is nothing about this hotel nor the location that represents Barcelona. Its like looking at a post card of a theme park. The crowd are all easy jet - cheap, drunk, tacky, zero sophistication. They charge you for internet though its free in the foyer, W just love to milk you for all your $$$$. The decor is cheap and dated. Pluses - the view of the room and the staff are attentive and good size gym but seriously just do not even go to this area. It takes over 25 mins to walk into town. You only stay here if you've been to Barcelona a few times and you just want to stay at the hotel and sun bake. It's Jersey Shore by the sea.

W should launch W Cruise and take this abomination on a cruise Ship. What was missing was a casino.

B

7 Thank b c
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed one night pre-cruise in the Fabulous room. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30 am with one set of luggage lost by Air France and feeling rather distraught.The staff could not have been more helpful with the concierge immediately on the phone dealing with the matter (the luggage was delivered the following day to the Royal Carribean Cruise Ship).We were given a room by 11.30 am and could not have been more pleased with the fantastic beach view. From previous reviews I was aware of the transparent glass bathroom, which was not a problem as have stayed in other up market hotels that have incorporated this style. The bed was wonderfully soft to sleep in and we were not plagued by noise even though we were on the second floor. I was disappointed that there was no kettle, it would have been nice to have a soothing cup of tea after a 30 hour flight from Australia.The W hotel feels like a mini resort with a beautiful pool area and a private section on the beach for guests.The hotel does have a party atmosphere geared to the young and gorgeous with deep pockets, but I already knew that as the W site promotes it a a funky venue.The Eclipse bar which has great views was packed with people but there was no dancing and lacked atmosphere (probably couldn't afford the drinks after paying for the room).The hotel is not in walking distance to the main attractions of Barcelona apart from the marina area. A taxi to the La Rambla cost us 7 to 8 Euros.Taxis were easy to get and were lined up outside the hotel.There were many good beach restaurants and bars to choose from around the hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you like a trendy venue and enjoy the pool and beach, bring your teeny, weeny pocka dot bikini, the highest killer shoes you have and don't forget your very little black dress with bling.

2 Thank misha692
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 3 night weekend stay at the W Barcelona. We returned with a very mixed overall feeling about the hotel and its service.
Firstly upon check-in the staff were very friendly and the foyer immediately makes you think 'wow', however its not until you get into the lift and out onto the corridor of your floor that you see how tired the hotel is. The red carpet is very faded and worn and it is desperately in need of a lick of paint!! We ended up also finding this with the areas and corridors leading to the 'Bliss' Spa and 'Sweat' Gym.
We did ask by email 2 weeks before our arrival if we could have a nice room overlooking the beach as we were celebrating my boyfriends birthday but this was not noted in our booking and we ended up on the 7th floor next to a roof full of air conditioning and extractor fans and a view of the Port (which wasn't so bad as the sea was beautiful to wake up to).
Breakfast had a nice selection of continental meat and cheeses and eggs could be made to order.
We were very pleased with the pool area (apart from there being no where near enough sun beds for the number of guests) Get out there early if you want to sunbathe!!
The pool boys were always on hand to manouveure your sun bed or provide towels but the bar staff didn't quite have the same standard of service, we had to stand up and grab their attention each time we wanted to order drinks, i think i had to explain what a white wine spritzer was 4 or 5 times during our stay...
If you are thinking of spending an evening in the eclipse bar then I would probably advise thinking again. The girls in this bar were very unfriendly, almost arrogant, and didn't offer to wipe our table before serving (it was filthy). The bar itself is very tired..stains on seats, worn away flooring, filthy windows - not what you expect from a cocktail bar in a ''5 star'' hotel.
Overall, I would say that of my experience at other 5 star hotels, this was more fitting of a 4star rating. I doubt i will stay here again unless it has a refurb. I think ill try the Hotel Arts Ritz Carlton on our next trip to Barcelona. I think they would reflect more of what you look for in a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Floor 7 - aircon units and extractors on roof by lifts.
1 Thank CLAIRE S
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Claire S,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at W Barcelona this month of July with your boyfriend. May I first apologize for not meeting your expectations this time.

I have carefully read your different comments concerning our hotel, and I have been very surprised as the hotel only opened its doors 2 years and 1/2 ago, and it is not the usual feedback we receive from our clients.

On the other hand, you also raised that there were not enough sun beds at the pool. However, I would like to inform you that we have sufficient capacity between the beach and the wet deck, and some days guests prefer the deck and others the beach fills first. I am happy to read that the pool boys were very helpul and efficient when you needed something from them. However, I have been very surprised about your comments regarding the bar staff and the Eclipse talents, as we train and remind all our staff to be helfpful and courteous. Neverthless, I will personally make sure your comments are shared with our management team and that corrective actions are taken.

Regarding your remarks about the type of room, I would like to inform you that those rooms overlooking the beach are Fabulous rooms and the ones overlooking the port are Wonderful so I understand that the one you booked was a Wonderful one which is a different category.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to explain and apologise. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.
Yours sincerely,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We were woken up to room service evry morning that always included a few complimentary iteams the employees liked to add for my kids.
By day we explored the city and had lunch in the city. But after all of the walking and site seeing during the day we were all tired. The W was the perfect place for relaxing. We coud come back to a resort and swim, lie down on plush coushins and look out at the beach, and the hotel even had direct beach acces from the pool. It was the perfect place to stay.
But for me the best thing was how AMAZING the beds are at every W hotel. They really just have the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I wanted to bring the bed home!
Some flaws though were how slow the internet was in the room. Dowstairs in the lobby it is free and fast but thats how it should be throughout the entire hotel. Also our room wasnt ready when we wanted it and that was a huge dissapointment.
But every hotel has some things that arent working right and overall the W was outstanding!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Jacqueline H,
WOW! Thank you for such a great review of your stay with us this month!

I will personally share your message with my team to congratulate them for a job well done. I am so happy to see that the hotel was to your liking.

However, I will also pass on your comments about the slow internet connection in the room and the waiting time for your room on arrival to the IT Manager and Welcome Desk Manager so they can take the appropiate corrective actions.

Once again thank you for staying at W Barcelona.
Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

To start of- the hard product itself is indeed absolutely stunning. But at rates of over 300 Euro a night, this in itself is my eyes not good enough if the service quality doesn't match and it certainly does not. I am aware that much of this would qualify as "First World problems" but hey- so do the rates here!

The key issue was the number of staff and the resulting service attitude of the few overworked staff members available. We have observed this in many W properties around the world and unfortunately, the Barcelona one was not any different: We arrived in the afternoon from the airport and happened to arrive in the driveway just after another cab with arriving guests. While these guests received the utmost service, being taken care of and welcomed by a hotel employee. We, on the other side, being second "in line" were neither welcomed nor helped with our luggage meaning we had to carry our heavy suitcases ourselves into the lobby. The reason for this? There was simply no one else there to help us- I expect a couple of porters waiting outside a hotel with such a price tag, not one lonely employee!

And it continued like this: We are Starwood Gold members and usually book one of the room categories somewhere in the middle and then in most cases get an upgrade to something a little bit nicer. This was a very special night for us so we decided for a "Studio Suite" which sounded nice on the website. You should have seen our disappointment when we were allocated a room on the second floor. When we asked, we were told that all Studio Suites are in an annex which only goes up to level 5. Too bad the website doesn't mention this fact! We were very worked up about it and politely asked if we could do anything about it. The fornt desk guy was a but overwhelmed by this complicated request so he got a supervisor to look into it. The latter was extremely sleazy in his behavior and all he could offer us was a standard room high up. Mind you- no word of an upgrade for us so we ended up with a standard room paying the Studio suite price. Yes, the view was amazing and the room quite nice (though be aware that the design in this W is in line with 1st generation Ws, i.e. a lot of Apple-y pastel blue and green and so on, clearly the design of the last decade and very fast approaching its end in fashion) but we couldn't help feeling absolutely ripped off- more so than what you would feel in any case at those prices!

The straw that broke the camel's back came on our day of departure. We gladly got the Gold member's complimentary late check out and it happened what had to happen in a W: Coming back from the pool after 12pm meant that our key card didn't work anymore, not even to operate the lift. As it has happened to me at so many Ws before, this meant you had to go to reception with your towel rapped around you and dripping of water which is a very nice feeling in this posh lobby full of departing guest but of course absent of any staff to help you. Understaffed as the front desk was, I had to queue up behind some guests checking out and when I finally got my key re-cut, this was done without a word of apology as if it was my fault that the staff didn't think of it in the first place when approving the late checkout the day before! But it gets worse: A bit later my partner went up to the room with the same key and, hey, it again didn't work so same issue for him as well! Again, no apologies whatsoever which is just not good enough!

All in all, rather disappointing. And, just to be clear, I don't deny that the product itself is absolutely stunning, especially the pool was very nice and the entire posh vibe of the hotel. But I can't stop thinking that Starwood seems to be under the impression that shoving a stunning building somewhere alone is a reason to charge their guests through the roof while you can easily save on staff. Look at Hyatt's Andaz chain, they do pretty much everything right which W doesn't (at least for the time being).

Room Tip: Beware that the studio suites (and maybe other room types as well?) are in a lame side annex which o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear sydneyberlin,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at W Barcelona in June. May I first apologize for not meeting your expectations on this occasion. Of course, I have already reviewed your comments with our General Manager, who is also truly sorry for your disappointment.

You certainly did not receive the first class service if no bell boys were at the entrance on your arrival to assist you with the luggage. I have already spoken with the Whatever & Whenever Manager so that corrective action can be taken with her staff. I can assure you this experience is not in line at all with the usual high level of service our talent deliver to our discerning guests.

On the other hand, I do regret that the Studio Suite was not to your expectations neither to your liking, and I am sorry to read that you were not aware that those type of suites are located between the 1st and 5th floor, or you were not informed of that when you made the reservation. I would like to take the opportunity to inform you that I have already reviewed this issue with the Director of Marketing and Revenue Manager, so they can update the information in the website more accurate, so other guests are not inconvenienced.

Finally, I am sorry to read that you had to go to the Welcome Desk on your day of departure and queue because your room key was not working after having already agree a late check-out, because of your gold spg status.I suppose that your room key was not automatically activated when you requested the late check-out and I would like to apologise for that. However, I am confident you will understand that we have a very strict security procedures to follow for the comfort and guests safety. I would like to apologise for the manner in which the situation was dealt with and please be assured the issues raised have been addressed to all the Managers involved and appropriate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

Should you wish to reserve again in our hotel, I would be pleased to assist you in order to make sure that your next stay with us is a nice one. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the meantime, with my repeated thanks for sharing your comments with other travellers, I remain.
W Barcelona