“Whatever, Whenever - exactly what you get!”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #114 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed in the W Hotel (got a great deal for 4 nights) in the middle of August. This has to be some of the best service I've received at a hotel. From the moment we got out of the cab until we got back in it to return to the airport, nothing was too much trouble.

My friend unfortunately had her handbag stolen whilst we were there, the hotel made all the calls to cancel her phone contract etc and we were not charged a penny. We were even brought over a free round of drinks by the bar manager heard what had happened.

Lunches at the hotel were lovely, nice salad's with really fresh ingredients. Great Cocktails too. We ate in several of the restaurants below the hotel and all were very good, and not as expensive as I thought they might be.

The piste de resistance though was the view from our room. Floor to ceiling windows opened on to views of the beach and sea - FAB! The room itself was big, comfortable, and contemporary with one of the most comfortable beds i have every slept in.

Great location if you want to take advantage of the beach and sunbathing. Free sunbeds provided at the private strip of beach for hotel guests with waiter serves for drinks to keep you cool. Pool was a bit small for my liking and very crowded but the wet deck area turned into a great party venue in the evenings.

All in all a great trip and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NatBow77

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Magnificent hotel. Good location on the beach and only 30min stroll away from the main area of Barcelona. Unbelievable views from the room windows. The rooms are comfortable and use high tech gear.
Bathroom set up is a little strange, with frosted glass doors to the toilet and shower. The basin area is separate and in the main living area.
The buffet breakfast was great, plenty of choice and friendly waiters.
Being a gym junkie, my highlight was the gymnasium. Fantastic equipment and plenty of space. A dream come true.

Room Tip: Better views will be on the beach side of the hotel, the other side has good view but only of the po...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robbyt19
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Robbyt19,

Such a nice review and such a nice ending ( a dream come true!), thank you very much!

Firstly, I would like to thank you for having choosing W Barcelona when coming from a very long trip, Melbourne. You can not imagine how happy we feel when a guest enjoy the stay and when the hotel contributes to make the trip better. I will extend your comments to everyone but specially to the staff serving breakfast. It is a good compliment for them.

We hope to welcome you very soon.
Warm regards,
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed at the W Barcelona for three nights and we are glad we chose the W. The hotel is very stylish and modern and is situated beautifully right on the beach. The view from the rooms is nothing less than spectacular.

We booked breakfast at the hotel, which was very good. Right below the W, there are a few small restaurants right at the beach, which seemed to be quite popular. A perfect opportunity for those, who prefer a less hectic way of spending the evening. For those, who are interested in doing sightseeing/shopping etc. the hotel is also a great choice. Although is is not "downtown", a taxi to Plaza de Catalunya (which is as downtown as it gets) is just 10 Euros. The harbour is within walking distance.

Downtown Barcelona is beautiful, but also very crowded and very "tourist-orientated". It is almost impossible to just look at a restaurants menu and quietly decide, whether you want to choose this restaurant for dinner. The moment you just come somewhat close to the place, some "tourist-catcher" runs up to you, sticks a menu in your face and tells you one million reasons why just just absolutely need to eat right there. At the mentioned restaurants below the W, there was no such behavior, which we were very thankful for.

The room we had was great (Thank you, Valentina). 19th floor, beautiful view of Barcelona. The room was clean, spacious and very stylish. The only thing that I need to mention is, that the mattresses are typical Spanish mattresses, which means that they are very soft. I prefer something different, but that is NOT a flaw from the hotel but a matter of my personal preference.

With too little time on our hands we never got to test the gym,the spa or the Eclipse (bar on the 26th floor), so I cannot say anything about them.

The service overall was great, whenever there was a small problem, it was taken care of right away.

I had a wonderful time at the W Barcelona. So if you are looking for a hotel in Barcelona that offers great service, modern and beautiful styling/architecture and a perfect location, I recommend that you choose the W.

Room Tip: Should you be wondering (as I first was) what the difference between the "Wonderful Room"...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Isabelle R
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Great hotel on the beach and only 10 minutes by taxi to central Barcelona. The pool area has a Las Vegas look and feel, a DJ plays outdoors in the evening. We ate in the Bravo restaurant which was good but expensive. The beach front offers a great place to jog.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean777
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Have stayed here twice. I'd argue that best Barcelona hotels are Arts, Mandarin Oriental and the W.

W wins on our personal preference - great breakfast, fantastic gym, and hands-down winner if you're visiting in Summer and want to use pool/beach. Great cocktails too.

If you need american-style 5-star concierge type service go for the Arts and if you want to stay central and just shop go for the Mandarin.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kjw_global
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I am in a corner suite of the new W Starwood hotel on the 17th floor.
Fabulous luxury and view for 480 Euro a night.
It's a 5 minute walk to get a 12 Euro Paella dinner or 37 Euro Paella for 2 downstairs.
Taxi ride to center Plaza de Catalunya is 10 Euro.
Euro = $1.30
Best bacon and eggs I have ever had.

Room Tip: I am a Platinum member in Starwood SPG. I received a free upgrade to a suite. I stay 5 nights as I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bedwards1951
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear bedwards1951,

Thank you very much for having taken your time to submit us your feedback while staying with us. I am very glad to read that you were able to enjoy one of our beautiful Cool Corner Suites on the 17th floor, and that you had the best bacon and eggs you ever had. We always appreciate hearing from guest satisfaction.

Hope you also enjoyed the Paella!
It was a real pleasure to have you at our hotel, and if you ever feel like coming back to Barcelona, we would be honored to welcome you in our hotel once again.
Yours sincerely,
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the W Barcelona. It was my 30th birthday and we booked a short break to celebrate.

Our first room was on a lower floor (7th I think) and faced the port. The room looked out over a roof so we asked to change rooms and ended up in a much better room on the 18th floor, still looking out over the port. The room (a Wonderful room) was very well designed - we loved the window seat and enjoyed watching the cruise ships come and go and the planes taking off and landing. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the Bliss products were great. The one disappointment with the room was that there was no coffee machine.

We used the gym a few times - it's very large and well equipped for a hotel gym and has a great view of the beach. The pool was quite small but there were good sea views from there. In general the facilities at the hotel were great and you could easily spend days there without leaving. We visited the Bliss spa twice - not cheap, but when you've booked a treatment you get access to the lovely spa, plus tea/sparkling wine and brownies! Both the treatments I had (75 mins "Blissage" and manicure) were excellent.

The beach was lovely - we went for a swim in the sea one day (brr!) and it was great to have hotel towels and showers etc on hand.

The hotel knew it was my birthday and really looked after me. There was cake in our room with a card the day we arrived; cake and a cocktail in the spa on my actual birthday and a free drink the day we checked out. These were really nice touches and made our stay special.

We visited Eclipse (the bar/nightclub on the 27th floor) which was fun and open until 4am.

We had a brilliant stay at the W and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple