“"Not quite W"”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“"Not quite W"”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at several W Hotels I would say this was the least impressive. Mainly due to the fact it was far too busy in the lobby and the que for checking in took 10mins. The Hallway on our floor looked slightly tired and resembled that of a Holiday Inn. We had a corner suite and to be fair the room itself was very well laid out. However, when paying over €900 a night you expect a turn down service. This obviously never happened but after complaining upon our leave I would say we were adequately compensated by the manager. In saying all this the hotel is still pretty cool as u would expect and the staff are young, good looking and friendly. The location is perfect and situated on the beach, but I would suggest making use of the cool and contemporary outside pool and lounge area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,182)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The experience was good from the begining. Check-in was easy walked straight up to a desk and was in the room within minutes. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. I was on the 3rd floor and the view of the beach was stunning. The room was nice spacious and clean. The only negative comment is upon returning to the room on one day the room had not been cleaned, this was past five in the afternoon. It is a long walk from the hotel to the centre and the major sites, but this can be excused if you have the excellent weather I was lucky to have.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

One of the more attractive W properties. Negatives include the long check-in time, the crowd in the lobby (not great for relaxing) and the early pool bar closing time. However, the positives far outweigh these nitpicks including super friendly front desk staff and concierge, the room was in decent shape for a W (ususally they are beat up from seeing so much "action"), nice views and a semi-decent location (long walk to the Metro).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Taco-Wednesday
Aussie in Leeds
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We recently stayed at the W in Barcelona and overall we were pleased and had a nice weekend. I had booked the trip for my husbands 40th birthday. As this was for a special occasion I asked for a room with nice views - preferably over the beach side- we got a room on the 4th floor looking over the port side......which was a little disappointing but I tried not to let that bother me as I wanted the weekend to special.

I had also booked into the Salt restaurant for the first evening - that I had booked online as advised by the W customer service team - only to be told that it was closed when we got there and they were closed until summer?? So we had no reservation! When we returned to the hotel and I looked at my emails the W had emailed me 10 mins prior to our booking to say it wasn't available - Really bad customer service...
I think it would have been a nice touch if the hotel had acknowledged my husbands 40th birthday in some way - a note in the room or a drink at the bar.

Overall we had a wonderful time and we have stayed at several W hotels and the location of this particular W is fabulous but think the customer service could be better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank return2Oz
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing with us and other travelers your recent experience at the W Barcelona on the occasion of your husbands 40th birthday. I was pleased to read that in general you were pleased and you had a nice weekend.
I have taken good note of your comments regarding the view from the room you stayed in, and I need to inform you that the rooms overlooking the port side are Wonderful rooms and the ones overlooking the beach & city are Fabulous ones, so we are talking about different room categories. I understand from your comments that you had booked a Wonderful one.

On the other hand, I do regret the inconvenices you experienced with your reservation at the Salt Restaurant, and I can assure you that this is certainly not reflective of our usual standards. You have my assurances that this has been discussed with those concerned to prevent any reoccurrence in the future. It is my sincere hope that your recent experience with the Salt reservation will not deter you from visiting W Barcelona again. We look forward to being of service to you on many occasions.

Yours sincerely,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel was great; however, service for platinum members was not the best. There was no club floor and we had a lower floor when we requested a higher floor. We had a room upgrade to a suite and the first room was a smoking room. The second room was better, but it was a suite on the first floor. The front desk check took quite awhile, but the staff were very attentive. The area was great, but a bit out of the way from central Barcelona and La Rambla etc. The hotel overall was great and very modern, the shower in the bathroom was amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear James T from Atlanta,

Thank you very much for staying at W Barcelona and for sharing your moments with us! I am delighted to read that in general you found the hotel great and do hope you had a nice stay. With regards your comments about the service for Platinum members, your feedback is nothing but helpful for us, because it encourages us to improve next time. We will take good note of your comments but unfortunately the Club Floor is not a standard of W Hotels.

It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and if you ever feel like coming back to Barcelona, we would be honored to welcome you in our hotel once again.

Kindest regards from Barcelona.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The check in looked like a railway station . A long queue was there and took 15 to 20 min . I had called from casa fuster and asked if room was ready, she said it was ready. When I checked in , the guy said it would be not possible till three. I told him the lady told me to come, he said sorry. Then he gave me room on first floor after paying 400 euros for room. Very poor performance. The service no match to ritz or casa fuster. I regret shifting from casa fuster, but luckily it was for one night. Tom back to casa fuster . View is beautiful and it is unique building.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest from Singapore,

Thank you very much for detailing your experience at W Barcelona. We would like to apologise if the service you received was not the one you expected it and I am very sorry to read that you had not experienced a good time in our property. I will transmit your feedback during our Direction Committee with the purpose of evaluating your opinion and communicate to our staff what we have to improve.
We always appreciate hearing from our guests, because your comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodation.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to W Barcelona and demonstrate you that we can offer you a better service than the one you have experienced in your last visit.
Best regards,

Aesch, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last minute through Starwoods and our rooms were beautiful. The food and service was top notch. I would stay here again. Only downside is its location is at the port and theres not much near it. Cabs available around the clock though so not a huge problem

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank KristinO711
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Kristin O,

Thank you very much for the interest shown on W Barcelona, and for staying with us. I can see from your comments shared on TripAdvisor that you had a nice stay with us and that you appreciated the room you stayed in and the food and service.

Should your travels bring you back to Barcelona, we will more more than pleased to welcoming you back to our hotel!

Best regards,