“A long list of complaints...”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #93 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A long list of complaints...”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was very excited to visit the W Barcelona for my boyfriend's birthday two weeks ago. We stayed for 3 nights and the bad experiences at the property started right away. After an early flight we arrived at the hotel at around 12pm - i wasn’t 100% sure what time check-in was but approached the front desk to check what time our room would be ready/enquire about leaving out luggage to go for a walk if it wasn’t ready - the man behind the desk responded very rudely when I asked when we could check in with something along the lines of 'when check in opens' - I responded asking when that was not appreciating his attitude one bit. He then asked for our reservation number and seeing that we had booked through an agent rate (I work in the event industry) he changed his tune completely and said a room would be ready shortly and that they would call us - he even confirmed the high floor that i requested although for me this didn’t make me forget his rude manner at the beginning.

The room was lovely and on the high floor we requested with lovely view over the harbour - that I cannot fault about the hotel. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. However things soon went downhill whenever we tried to actually access our room via the lift - EVERY time (without exception) the key card would not operate the lift and we had to ask someone from concierge to come and look at it - the problem was never resolved as they simply sent us up to our floor using their key card. This wasn’t a problem exclusive to us and we witnessed four other separate guests having the same frustrations. Also worth mentioning on the lifts - past around 9pm they close of one for the Eclipse night club only - fine, slightly annoying when you are a guest and have to wait but when i tried to enter the lift next to the one cordoned off for the club i was told by a particularly unfriendly bouncer that this lift also was for the club only - I'm sorry, I'm only staying in the hotel. Not acceptable.

We went down to the Wet bar for a drink and waited for so long to be served that the barman gave them us for free as he could see that we were being ignored by the other bar staff that seemed more interested in chatting up two girls at the bar than actually doing their job.

Then the next evening we attempted to go out of the W for dinner - we had a letter posted under our door informing us of a 24 hour taxi strike so approached the front desk to see if they had any other means of transport (considering this is a 5* property that is a 25 minute walk into the centre of town i would have thought they would have put on some kind of bus service - they didn’t) - we were advised that the restaurant we were aiming for could be accessed by the 17 bus - this was incorrect and we ended up miles away having been given the wrong information by the front desk. The front desk also failed to tell us that the buses stopped at 12am and no night buses served the hotel making for a long walk home.

The rest of the stay passed without incident and i did find some of the staff member very helpful and friendly - this was until we came to check out.

The bill was put under our door that morning with internet charges that should have been there - annoying but reception took them off for us. Then we had a simple (i think, maybe I’m asking too much) request: to pay 100 EUR cash, 90 EUR on my boyfriend’s card and the remaining balance on my card and NOTHING to be charged to the card we used when checking in as this is my boyfriend's work card - this was obviously far too much to ask for. The staff member proceeded to ignore the request and take the money from the card we asked him not to - we then had to wait for this to be refunded and for him to ask 3 colleagues how to process the cash - this wasn’t filling me with confidence. He actually gave us a free drink token we had been there so long. Anyway when we finally settled up correctly i thought all was sorted. Until i returned home and 4 days later they proceeded to take another unauthorised £150 from my debit card followed by another £450 three days after that - with no warning and with no authorisation they have managed to take another £600 from my card and when i call the hotel they assure me someone will call me back they haven’t as yet.

All in all it is a lovely hotel but i can't recommend until they look at some basic customer service levels and basic billing. I am very disappointed and wish i had gone elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura T
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Laura T,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at W Barcelona and the valuable time invested in sharing your constructive comments about the challenges encountered. We very much appreciate your opinion and your feedback.

Allow me to extend my sincerest and deepest apologies if some of our employees let you down on this occasion. Please be assured that all your observations in regard of the service received, have been brought to the attention of our Department Managers involved for their immediate review and actions, in order to initiate respective improvements and meet the quality expectations of the Starwood Hotel Group.

Whilst we are unable to undo the unpleasant experiences, allow us to assure you that the substandard services you had regrettably experienced are not the norm and does not represent our generally high standars.

With regards the charges on the credit card you mentioned, and in case it has not been solved yet, I kindly ask you to send me an email through the Executive Office email address ( elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com) and it will be my pleasure to check that for you immediately.

We would be grateful if you gave us a second chance, should you consider this possibility I would be delighted to remain at your disposal.

Yours sincerely,

W Barcelona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,170)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time at the W. Note to travelers there is no W in the spanish language and the taxi drivers might pretend that they don't understand where you want to go.

The facility is amazing and we actually enjoyed the walk along the barceloneta every evening for dinner.

Also note, the rock jetty has some interesting activity/nude sunbathers so if you are traveling w children just be aware. It is Europe so it's not a big deal but just be prepared.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest from Los Ángeles,

I am delighted to read that you had an amazing time at our hotel, and thanks for sharing that with other travelers. Indeed, in summer, the walks along the Barceloneta boulevard are a MUST if staying at our property.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you back to Barcelona from the States.

Warmest regards,

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Located away from the city centre in the part of Barcelona that was rebuilt for the 1992 Olympics, the W hotel tower offers breathtaking views over the bay and the 2-mile long man-made beach.
The interior decor is modern but with kitsch touches such as the feather lampshades in the Wet bar, the swinging chairs dotted about and the lighting in the lobby.
All the members of staff I encountered were smiling and helpful and most spoke English.
Breakfast is a buffet spread with an unusual variety of locally made fruit juices (including kiwi and watermelon), yogurts, smoothies, fresh fruit, pastries and breads, local cured meats and local cheeses, so one can happily ignore the "English breakfast" corner with its desiccated scrambled eggs, greasy bacon and sausages. In fact, they'll cook you an omelette, a Spanish style chorizo and potato tortilla, or fried eggs sunny side up or any way you like at no extra cost. 9.5 out of 10 for breakfast.
I also enjoyed an excellent poolside lunch on my last day: gazpacho served in a glass with garnishes of cucumber, hard-boiled egg and ham, followed by skewers of octopus with a tangy white sauce served with patatas bravas and pungently seasoned rocket.
The minibar in the room is hard to find as its door looks like a wall, it contains all the usual stuff but in addition, next to the wonderful window seat with comfortable sparkly scatter cushions, there's a tray with a cocktail shaker and bottles of vodka, rum, Bombay Sapphire gin, together with small bottles of passion fruit and violet syrup. There are also bottles of mineral water scattered around the room but be careful, only one of them is complimentary, the others are EUR4.50!
My bathroom had no bath, only an Italian style shower, and the toilet next to it had the same tempered glass door that makes you feel you're not quite as hidden as you might like to be.
The beds are comfortable, the lifts are fast, there's complimentary mint-infused water and green apples by reception, taxis are always available...
I only have two negative comments: the hotel provides towels and access to the beach in front of it, where its waiting staff serves drinks, but it's still a public area accessible to all and sundry, so you have to keep an eagle eye on your belongings.
And the only swimming pool is much too small for a hotel this size, especially since half of it is occupied by sunken daybeds, so only half is available for swimming.
I don't know if I'd go there again on my own (I was attending a conference) but great views, fantastic service and excellent food make it a great hotel.

Room Tip: high up floors have the best views and as the lifts are fast you won't waste time coming and goi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

great hotel ! what you would expect of a W hotel. i definitely would highly recommend this property. the views from the rooms are amazing! the hallways are nice cool red and dim, the club on the top floor is the place to be on weekends ! the entire experience was just great ! two thumbs up! would recommend this hotel for trendy, sexy , party like stay!

Room Tip: city and water view rooms give the best views of Barcelona beaches
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mo N
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Mobani,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The best Room I ever stay in overlooking the sea.
The best services (restaurant, room services, Pool, bar, concierge,...)
The best reception (helpful, smiling and cooperative)

Location is a somehow far from down town but in a very nice location with beach access.
I do recommend the Hotel if you are looking for luxury holiday and a high end service level.

Room Tip: Any room in the tower building above the 10th floor will be perfect, although I stayed in the 6th fl...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A very disappointing stay throughout. Despite its ritzy décor and reputation for style, this hotel was let down badly by its staff. Staff throughout the hotel were disorganised, disinterested and not very knowledgeable about their product.
We arrived late and as soon as we walked in we were met by not one but two porters who offered to walk our luggage to the check in desk – about 20 metres from the door, we declined this but when it transpired that they needed a cash deposit we left our bags with them and were assured they would be stored safely until we came back. When we returned, our bags were still in the lobby but no sign of either of the porters. Alone, in the lobby of a hotel with over 450 bedrooms. Not good enough.
We decided to try and put this experience behind us and pay a visit to the cocktail bar on one of the top floors. Again, full of pretence with a ‘special’ lift. We walked in and again there were loads of staff around. It was very loud inside, with nightclub type lighting and music. We sat by the window with an amazing view over Barcelona and waited for our cocktails – the holiday starts now was the plan. Then we waited some more, and some more. Eventually I had to ask the girl who we had ordered from and she had forgotten to give our order to the bar. Almost half an hour after we ordered our cocktails arrived as well as a plate of fruit by way of apology. It wasn’t enough to rescue the situation – we left disappointed.
The main bar was no different, food and drink both consistently slow to arrive. There were 3 staff behind the bar and maybe 8-12 people in the bar but we still had to remind the barman that we had ordered food. When it came it was not of a standard you would expect in a 5 star hotel. As it was late there was only a reduced menu on but I would have made a better chicken wrap myself. It was dry and the wrap was stale around the edges. After all the previous issues, I did not have the fight left to send it back. The hotel had broken me.
The bedroom was lovely. Airy and spacious with a huge comfortable bed and a large window looking over the beach. The shower was beautiful, with a huge showerhead which really gave a nice experience. However, the exorbitant price of everything in the room took the sheen off. €4 for a small bottle of water (and you’re not recommended to drink the hotel tap water) and €20 for 24 hours of internet access is crazy when you consider the price you are already paying for staying here.
At one stage I lost my keycard and had to return to reception to get a new key. I understand why the receptionist called the room to confirm I was a resident, I work in hospitality as well. However his attitude towards me was terrible. I was an inconvenience to him. He looked at me condescendingly and said that I should always carry ID on my person and he had to check with the person in the room for security reasons. I pointed out that if he was concerned about guest security he should not have another persons invoice with full postal address and Starwood membership number facing me on the desk.
In terms of location the hotel is ok, a number of buses go from outside the hotel up to the city, it is about a 5 minute journey or about a 15 minute walk. It is right on the beach so if that’s what you are looking for it might be worth a stay but I would think that it is overhyped and most definitely overpriced for the service received. You would need more money than sense to stay here…a huge disappointment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest from Cork,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your stay at W Barcelona. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. I do apologise if our staff let you down on this occasion. Normally our service is exceptional and the different difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. I can be reached through the Executive Office email address ( elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com).

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here approximately a year ago with. Good friend... This was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had... We caught an amazing deal online and went for a long weekend from London. The hotel sits right on the ocean and has amazing views. We had a few of the ocean as well as the bay and a helipad... I could have stayed in the room. An awesome bar on the top floor that looks straight out into the ocean. Quick taxi ride or walk to town... if Can't say enough about this hotel... Will definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Check out the pool for happy hr
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Souloaded
Dear Guest from Fort Lauderdale,

Thanks for staying at W Barcelona one year ago. And WOW, such an amazing review!

We are very happy to read that you had a nice long weekend from London, and do sincerely hope we will welcoming you for another one very soon!!

Best regards,