“Amazing property, amazing location, amazing Barcelona”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #104 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Amazing property, amazing location, amazing Barcelona”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend in Sep'12. What can i say - the experience was amazing all around. Striking location at the end of the beach, amazing views from either side of the building, and beautiful rooms and decor. Only negative: the restaurant was overpriced and the paella was wayyy too salty so avoid that. Otherwise, I will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor and facing the beach if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Utrecht
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Came to W Barcelona, straight from a stay at the W st. Petersburg which has put the bar very high. (see earlier review).

I lived in BCN for a while and always wanted to stay at the W because of the amazing view. Well the view is amazing!

Checking was a mess. It's now peak season in BCN and upong arrival there were about 100-150 people in the lobby waiting to be checked in. It felt like a cheap turkish resort. Being SPG Gold, I got moved to a personal desk where the nice gentleman offered me a room that was already ready - but I requested a higher floor room so had to wait for an hour. I just had some drinks at the beach bar it was fine.

W delivered, i had a great room with a great view.

Whatever I requested, room service or towels or what not was always fast.

Despite the incredibly busy period in the hotel (they were overbooked the next day) they honored my 4PM late checkout. So tripple thumbs up for that.

Amazing parties at the W on sunday night btw. If you want quiet nights sleep make sure you stay on the harbor side of the tower.

Linnens at the W are amazing. so soft!

Will stay here again soon!

Room Tip: If you want quiet nights sleep make sure you stay on the harbor side of the tower.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WytzeNL
Lidingo, Sweden
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were 3 persons; my husband, my daughter who is 19, and me, spending 3 nights at W Barcelona recently. We had unfortunately not a perfect weekend but we were very pleased with the hotel in general.

When we arrived in the late afternoon our room was not ready but we were given free drinks in the bar and we were told to wait for half an hour for our room. The room was on the 15th floor, and we hade a wonderful view of the sea and the harbour but we were unfortunately not facing the city or the actual beach. Overall the room was very tidy and modern but too small for 3 persons (our room was called "Wonderful room"). One aspect concerning the room which we found to be very strange was the toilet. There wasn't a separate room that was a bathroom, instead the toilet was placed in a sort of glascube (the walls around the toilet were made of glas, though cloudy so you couldn't see straight throught but definitely see the contours). Because of this, there were no soundblocking what so ever and you could hear everything.
All the toiletries were of the brand Bliss which was nice.

The breakfast was not worth EUR 30 per person but it was OK for a five star hotel. We ate dinner twice at the Wave restaurant which we were very pleased with, nice service and food.

The reason why our weekend wasn't perfect occured on the second day when we were walking to downtown Barcelona for some shopping. We we're walking in a small alleyway when suddenly we were attacked by someone who threw some brown coloured liquid at us. The color got everywhere, our clothes, bags, shoes and so on. We did'nt know why or how exactly it happened but we were really shocked and upset. Afterwards we have read that this was a very common robbery attempt so look out for this! Nothing happened though and fortunately nothing was stolen. We took a taxi straight back to the hotel and left all the clothes to the hotels laundry.

On several occasions we spent time at the hotels beach and pool. The beach wasn't the best in our opinion; it had a lot of hurtful pebbles (bring your flipflops) and was very overcrowded but the staff always made sure you could get a sunbed and a towel. The pool, and the area around it, was actaully quite small for such a large hotel. The pool was just a small square and the sunbeds were occupied quickly so you have to be up early to get one.

The night before we left there was a party at the hotel called "White party". We had a blast and it was very well organized.

Despite other peoples complaints here about the staff we found them to be very friendly and serviceminded.

Regardless of the robbery attempt and a few minor complaints we liked the hotel very much, would probably stay there again and can really recommend it to others if you are into hip, modern and classy hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the city and the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Swedetraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked two rooms in this hotel- actually one a suite and the other a 'Marvellous room'. Anyone who knows this hotel will know that the suites are not 'cheap'- in fact nothing about the room reservations are cheap about this hotel. Fortunately I had not booked the 'cheapest rate' so did not have to 'pre pay' and so had 'cancellation flexibility' (worthwhile). Just as well. I will say that all prior communication with the hotel in respect to reservations had been inefficient and difficult to follow up which was pretty frustrating.
On arriving at the hotel- I was concerned to see bus loads of people arriving and leaving- literally. My heart sank on getting into the 'reception'. It was utter chaos. And I mean 'utter'. People all over the place- long queues at all the check in desks. On asking a member of staff where we checked in - he informed us that we just needed to 'get in line' and that it should take 'half an hour'. In a 5* hotel? Youhavegottabekidding?!?! Doesn't make any difference if you have booked a basic room or suite- it's all 'egalitarian' here. There was not much of an apology either. Anyway - finally we checked in and then - since the rooms would not be ready until 'sometime after 3' we went for drink in the lounge. Just as well as it allowed us to see some of the people who evidently were staying in the hotel. That was it. The people looked in the main like they were gearing up for one of these mega caribbean love cruises so well thought of by our American cousins or they were filming a series of the 'Only Way is Essex'. That- and the array of 'outfits' that these people thought fit to sport through a hotel lobby, bar and restaurant capped it off. WHO exactly thinks they look good wearing that kind of thing and why don't their family and friends tell them they don't? Do they never use a mirror? That capped it for us.
Thanks be to the internet. Managed to access the Ritz Carlton (Arts Barcelona) website and booked two Club rooms there. Have never been so relieved. Cancelled the reservation at the 'W' and high tailed it out of there to the Ritz Carlton. So cannot comment on the quality of the rooms, service or amenities as we never got that far. It just didn't feel 'right' - I am sure that it suits some but for a 'quiet' and 'discreet' experience- this is not an option.
I will say this for the 'W' hotel though- two things- 1) when I immediately cancelled my reservation (as I had the option of doing up until 4pm on that day) - I dealt with 'Pep Malla'- who was very professional and very honest- I had been expecting a fight over some 'cancellation' fee- but he was straight up and honoured their commitment not to incur a cancellation charge- so all credit to him and thus to the management higher up and
2) I stay at the Grande Bretagne in Athens which is also a Starwood Hotel- I have reviewed the Grande Bretagne and given it a very high rating- which it deserves. These two hotels in the same group couldn't be more different. May be I missed something between the Starwood classes of hotels. I shall not make that same mistake again.
I'll review the Ritz Carlton Arts Hotel separately- but in a word 'Deliverance'.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in Europe. Stayed there for 3 nights with my room on the 17th floor with an amazing view from the window...overlooking the sea and the coastline, room is quite spacious and relaxing, with all the amenities. Nice food and good breakfast, good service and helpful staff. Right on the beach, an ideal location for relaxing from the cozy comfort of your room. A bit of a hit on your wallet, but it's worth the money...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest from Helsinki,

WOW! Thank you for describing W Barcelona as one of the best hotels in Europe. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed our location right on the beach and also your room on the 17th floor with magnificient views, indeed.

We look forward to welcoming you again to W Barcelona.
Best regards,

Hotel Manager
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed three days at the W Barcelona on our honeymoon. We were able to see the hotel from our plane. Architecturally, it is a sight to see. The staff was very welcoming and they were able to make reservations at excellent restaurants each night we were there. My only gripes were that our room was a little bit small and the hotel is a far walk from the main touristy areas of Barcelona. But we didn't mind the walk because we had fabulous people watching walking down the beach!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
oxford
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a fanatstic night at the "W" for our anniversary, we stayed on the 21st floor in a fabulous room overlooking the pool,sea and city. we were very well looked after and had a relaxing afternoon by the pool and comfy loungers and a lovely lunch. The next day we chose to have breakfast in our room. We enjoyed the late swim and check out we had in the morning before moving in a city centre hotel.
This hotel is totally bling! but great fun! and the pool staff were amazing.

Room Tip: Fabulous rooms looking over the ocean and beach absolutely stunning at night and at sun rise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest from Oxford,

Thanks for choosing W Barcelona for your anniversary, and for sharing your experience at the TripAdvisor website.

I am delighted to read that you had a nice stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you to W Barcelona for another special occasion.

Best regards,