“Lovely hotel in an amazing location ”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #93 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lovely hotel in an amazing location ”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I loved the hotel although it is very expensive. The area is amazing , close to the happening area , close to the casino and night clubs.
The staff were friendly and helpful
Food is not bad and had good time at the Eclipse night club on the 26th floor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,169)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just back from yet another trip to Barcelona. We love this city so much we've been 3 times since December last year!

This time round we thought we'd stay away from our usual haunts on the Passeig de Gracia and instead book ourselves in for a beach experience at the W instead.

I've stayed at the W in Hong Kong a few times now and I was expecting something of the same standard. As it turns out my expectations were set far too high.

We arrived at the hotel at 14:00 only to be told that our room was not available yet, but that it would be soon and that they would call us once it was. I left my mobile number with them as well as our bags and we decided to wander towards the marina for a spot of lunch. (Cudos here for La Gavina restaurant which I'll cover in another review.) Lunch was a lengthy affair and at 18:00 still without hearing from the hotel we decided to wander back to see what was happening. Back at the hotel we waiting another 30 mins to speak to someone about our room, so nearly 5 hours after we arrived we finally got let into the room! We did complain that we were not called as promised and were left to follow up on our own initiative, at which point we were asked what compensation we would like? Shouldn't this be something that would be offered to us rather than asking us what we'd like? I was tempted to say "free accomodation please!!", but instead was very British and opted for Breakfast and a late check out.

The view out over the beach from the 16th floor was nice. We opted for a "Fabulous" room, and it was indeed comfortable, and indicative of the W style of rooms. If you are looking for privacy in the Bathrooms don't stay at a W as they tend to incorporate the bathrooms into the bedrooms.The bed was comfy, but the room was looking a little tired. Indeed the whole hotel in general could do with a bit of a spruce up. The SPA however was quite nice.

Service in general was also quite good, with fairly attentive staff. There was one woman working in the Tapas restaurant who could do with a few lessons on manners and working with clients, but otherwise the staff were very good.

A couple of additional points to note. This hotel has a couple of bars/nightclubs on the top floor which means that there is a lot of through traffic in reception with queues for the dedicated elevator. We went up for a drink on the first night, but I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Good Gin and Tonics though!!

The second point is that the whole hotel has a Club 18-30s feel to it. It's an expensive place to stay and purports to having a 5 star rating, but in my opinion if you are looking for a nice place to relax, don't bother with the W. If you want to Party, absolutely come here...we on the other hand most probably won't be staying here again, and will most likely stay back up near Passeig de Gracias where we fit in better.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor. The lower floors are exposed to the Lobby which can be very noisy.
1 Thank mattfyfe
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 August 2014

for starters, being an SPG platinum member - thus staying in various SPG hotels worldwide, i think i can form an opinion about hotels by now-
This hotel is by far the most disappointing hotel ever, and enjoys a very overinflated reputation.

We were welcomed as 'special' guest... being put up in a room on the 5th floor facing a big wall facing the industrial zone and the loud sounds of the lobby 'disco'
Later after a big complaint we were put up in a room on the 10th floor facing the sea/industrial zone again.
This room smelled of cigarettes and urine!! It was almost like the previous guest threw a massive after-party (super cool but not if you're the guest staying in the room afterwards??!!) i could not get any sleep and opened the door to the hall to try to get any fresh air.
the management could not do anything about it until the day after, so we slept in a stinking smelly room for the night. Since you cannot open the windows, and have to live by airconditioning, its quite claustrophobic when you're not comfortable.

The lobby is frantic, chaotic, the sunbeds are already occupied 7AM in the morning by people who put their towel and go back to sleep.
This hotel is for people who enjoy package holiday trips and not for people who seek some sort of luxury. Its just not up to the standard, never ever again......

Room Tip: city/beach view
6 Thank MarlieDiva
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest from Dubai,

Thank you for posting your review concerning your recent stay at W Barcelona this month. I'm sorry to hear that we did not fulfill your expectations during your stay with us. Please allow me to follow up on your comments with my team. To do so, I would like to be in contact with you personally, so if you would be so kind to write an e-mail to the Executive Office of the hotel, it will be my pleasure to return your message.

I can be reached through the Executive Office email address elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com

May I take this opportunity to assure you that our hotel always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service and it is my sincere hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting W Hotel when you are next in Barcelona. We look forward to welcoming you again and being of service to you on many occasions.

I will make sure that your next stay with us is a nice and positive one!!!! I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Staff was fantastic, suite was amazing and overall vibe was relaxing/fun....great for our first trip to Barcelona as the staff was very helpful and seemed very genuine....staff also spoke plenty of English was a nice bonus for us as well

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Ben D,

I am very happy to read that you have choosen the W Hotel for your first trip to Barcelona. I understand from your comments that your experience with us did met your expectations, and I do hope to be able to welcome you again next time you visit our city!

Best regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at the W for two weeks in August and had a great experience. I was visiting for work so didn't get to participate quite as much as I would have liked in the hotel offerings. Check-in can be a little slow so that is a pain but the front desk staff were always very patient and friendly. The hotel has a trendy, hipster, modern and party vibe. It's beautiful (except the ugly red hallways). Rooms are very spacious, especially for European standards! Everything is clean, sleek and modern. W is in a prime location with direct access to the beach (the only hotel with direct access in Barc) and surrounded by lovely restaurants on the boardwalk. The pool was very trendy with cabanas and great-looking staff. Breakfast was delicious and various...definitely a highlight. This hotel is a party hotel so it is loud and busy into the wee morning hours. It is a place to see and be seen for sure. I would request a room above the 4th floor as the lobby noise did keep a lot of my co-workers up all night on the lower floors. I would definitely recommend the hotel but not if you are looking for relaxation.

Room Tip: Above 4th floor for quieter rooms. Looking toward beach, away from port, for better view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

oh this place was so beautiful and I love the view the hotel was so elegant.and the disco fab is so perfect.i feel like I'm celebrity of this place.and is near by the beach and is comfy for all the travelers who love beaches.have fun and enjoy....

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank UrBabygirl03
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear UrBabygirl03,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our friends on Trip Advisor. The property is very special and I am glad that you had the opportunity to experience it in the fashion you did, being like a celebrity!

I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I have only stayed at the cool corner suites so I can't speak for the other rooms but can definitely recommend this type - wonderful room with a wonderful view of the Barceloneta. Extremely comfortable beds. The only downside is that when compared vs. Arts Hotel, the restaurants are probably not quite as good but it's still a fantastic experience

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elprincipal,

Thank you for choosing the W Barcelona and for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. I am happy to know you appreciated our Cool Corner Suites. Indeed, they are a very nices ones, and one of the most demanded rooms in our hotel. Some guests mention that you have the feeling that you are on a cruise..

However, I do regret if the quality of our restaurants was not the one expected it, and we are grateful for your constructive comments!!

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!