“Design Hotel without a soul” 3 of 5 bubbles

W Barcelona
Ranked #88 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Design Hotel without a soul”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Nice new building, large and light full.
Rooms have fantastic views over the city and the sea. Lots of space but at this price level a welcome bottle of water for free seems not unusual hence advised to keep customers happy, not here...
Breakfast is quite limited for the price.
Service is friendly. Location is some miles away from everything. The bar which had to be a night hot spot wasn't very attractive.
Finishings are very doubtful, I'm sure this hotel will look and feel "old" within some years.
For me this is typically the kind of hotel where you go once but are not thrilled to go back.
And swimming pool is not heated meaning very very cold...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bernbe
wbarcelonahotel, Director General at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
Dear bernbe,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing the useful feedback with us concerning your recent stay at W Barcelona. It is very important for us to know both the aspects in which we do well and the ones in which we need improvement and thus, keeping us on our way to excellence. Therefore, I am most grateful to you for letting us have your experiences.

We are so happy to see that you liked the building and that you enjoyed the beautiful views from your room. Also, delighted to read that you found our talents friendly.

I have nevertheless taken good note of your comments regarding the breakfast, and I am wondering if you had it at BRAVIO Restaurant or at WAVE. However, I am grateful for your comments as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. Please rest assured that I am going to review your remarks with our Beverage & Food Manager and also the supervisor of the signature restaurant to see how breakfasts can be improved in our hotel.

Turning to your point about the location of the hotel, I would like to inform you that directly below the hotel, on the beach boardwalk, and by summer next year there will be additional 7 outlets (restaurant, coffee shop, tapas bar, lounge bar, etc), so this area will be very lifely indeed and a new reference in the restaurant and nightlife scene in Barcelona. Also, please note that the hotel is located in the Barceloneta area, a 5 minute stroll over the boulevard to a huge selection of nice restaurants, and a 15 to 20 minute stroll or 5 minute taxi ride to the lively areas of Puerto Olimpico, Port Vell, El Born and the old town of Barcelona.

On the other hand, I do regret that Eclipse night bar was not to your liking or expectations and I am very surprised as this is not the usual feedback we receive from our discerning guests. In fact, we receive every day many positive comments concerning this outlet and is becoming a night reference in Barcelona with many guests visiting it each night.

Indeed, the swimming pool is for summer season.

Your feedback is nothing but helpful for us, because it encourages us to improve next time.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you in our hotel once again in the future!

Kindest regards from Barcelona,

W Barcelona Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,158)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

First time I'm satisfied with W. The location is soso, right on the beach, far away from everything.SPG Platinum upgraded to a pretty nice suit. very comfortable.great bath! No in-room coffee machine. too many items for sale are place on basically every free space. Staff is nice and extremely good looking.sky bar is coming with a good name,excellent view. But don't expect locals. as soons as its 3am they treat you like trash.never experienced such unfriendly and hostile staff! In addition totally overpriced! - like everything in the hotel. the conference facilities are nice but not up to standard. The sound system is terrible-actually most-meeting rooms are in the basement.coffee is terrible.food is less than okay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wbarcelonahotel, Director General at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear FreqTravellerMunich,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing the useful feedback with us concerning your recent stay at W Barcelona. It is very important for us to know both the aspects in which we do well and the ones in which we need improvement and thus, keeping us on our way to excellence. We were most pleased to read that you were satisfied with W Barcelona and that you liked the suite you were assigned with its bath and found it comfortable. I have nevertheless taken good note about your comments regarding the location of the hotel, right on the beach, and I would like to inform you that directly below the hotel, on the beach boardwalk, and by summer next year there will be additional 7 outlets (restaurant, coffee shop, tapas bar, lounge bar, etc), so this area will be very lifely indeed and a new reference in the restaurant and nightlife scene in Barcelona. You also raised a point about the lack of coffee machine in the room, and I do hope this did not inconvenience you too much. Next time you stay with us, please feel free to telephone Whatever/Whenever department if there is anything you need which is not provided in the room and they will be more than delighted to assist you. On the other hand, I do apologise if our staff at Eclipse let you down on this occasion. Normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care. Furthermore, we were sorry to learn of your disappointment with the coffee and the food. Please be assured, we do value all guest comments as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. Finally, your feedback regarding the sound system in the meeting rooms helps us to understand the needs of our guests and adjust our service to these needs. So again thank you for the useful feedback.

Yours sincerely,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

This is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed.
Very new, well designed, good service, friendly people. The hotel fronting the Mediterranean has a lovely beach running all the way to another superb hotel "The Arts".
The rooms are comfortable, very soundproof which is nice because of the great nightclub at the top of the hotel.
The W is conveniently located with easy acces to the main shopping district and numerous good restaurants.
We used it twice within 3 months and already it's our favorite spot in Barcelona..

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

The hotel really does think of everything, its the details that count and make a stay memorable. Our room was a corner room on the 3rd floor, which was great with wonderful views over the harbour and great atmospheric lighting. The decor is trendy. The bathoom is huge with a giant shower room and a separate bath, the bath products are large sized and from their Bliss range and they give you everything. They have a "whatever, whenever' room service which was great, if a little expensive. The Spa was wonderful, we had the steam room, sauna and heated jacuzzi to ourselves, so were really lucky and after a fab massage, slid out of there on a cloud of relaxation! The club/bar on the top floor has some great views. Only down side is its a walk away from the centre of town, but we found plenty of taxi's so no problem. I'm sure the surrounding area will be built up in time.

Maastricht
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

Best location in Barcelona. Stunning views. Beautifull building.
Only negative point is the eclipse nightclub on the top floor. Local upper class have nightly parties over there with loud music from 11 P.M. untill 6 A.M (!!!!) . Could be heard 6 stories lower. This is not the right attitude of a hotel towards their guests, who pay over 300 euro's per night.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

We aren't beach people, or sightseers, or museum visitors, or adventurists when it comes to vacations. We want comfortable hotels in pretty places with good restaurants, great service and a few luxuries. We want to relax, eat, drink and be fussed over a bit. It’s just our preferred vacation style,
The W Barcelona certainly fulfilled our every vacation desire on our late autumn trip to Spain this year.
We chose a “Fabulous” room for the city/sea view: I love a poshy view with iPad in hand and a nice glass of wine by my side! Definitely worth the extra money. The room was lovely. Comfortable, modern elegant. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable and we loved that it was in the middle of the room. The room just demanded that you relax and enjoy yourself. The windows were spectacular. I spent hours on the window seat that extended the entire length of the room.
We also both loved the rainfall showers.
And my significant other, who cannot go more than a day without working, found the desk and workspaces to be more than adequate while still allowing him to feel like he was on vacation.
My only small complaint is that I would have preferred that the lavatory/ dressing areas would have been more enclosed. I prefer a bit more privacy.
The common areas, lobby, bars, restaurants; are just extremely well designed and executed. Nothing is left unconsidered. There are surprises and notable touches everywhere.
Service is exceptional. We were taken upstairs by Frank, who spent a considerable amount of time with us, explaining important insider knowledge of the hotel and Barcelona, providing some useful tourist cautions as well as some good recommendations for dining and shopping. He could not have been more positive, upbeat, welcoming or generous with his time although we were just two average travelers on holiday from the States.
The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the main part of the city, or an easy 15 bus trip(bus is frequent, cheap and easy as is the metro) and the Barceloneta(seashore village shops and dining)is a short beachside 10 minute walk. But you are not IN town if that concerns you. To be basically IN the water, you give up the closeness to town. It was no sacrifice for us.
The Eclipse nightclub at the top of the W did not live up to the hype as far as we were concerned. Maybe we are too old, maybe we have been in New York too long, but it was just an average club: 5 guys to every girl and very weak drinks. The bar scene in the lobby was far more interesting. Others may completely disagree.
We were there for 6 nights and the atmosphere during the week was much more low key than on the weekend when families with kids showed up, although it was never chaotic. We would not go during the high season though, I cannot imagine how wild it must be mid summer. Many others would find this Autumn time of year that we preferred far too tame for them, I would imagine.
During our stay, we were surprised to suddenly find ourselves in the elevator with an extremely famous rock legend who happened to be performing in Barcelona during the time we were there. It happened that our floor also housed a couple of the large suites, one of which he was staying in.
It was an unexpected and breathtaking highpoint to our trip that was pretty amazing already.
As one final example of the hospitality we enjoyed at the W, we have a small Whatever/Whenever experience to share. On our last day, I got the idea that we should ask if we could see one of the suites at the end of our floor. Maybe the one the famous rock star had stayed in if it wasn’t occupied?
So we called and asked if we could have a tour of one of the suites. The concierge said that she would check and call me back. It actually took about an hour and I did eventually ask a second time, but sure enough finally someone called us back. It turned out that the suites were nearly all occupied except… the very biggest and grandest Presidential Suite on another floor and would we like a tour? Well, yes we would!
Within a few minutes a very lovely and friendly hotel intern came to our door and took us up to a magnificent suite for a private tour. It was rather fabulous, completely fun and very generous of the W to accommodate our little whim.
We are diehard W fans, and also love the W little brother, Aloft, for business travel. We are just really impressed with the brand. They just seem to have the entire concept down with, not only great facilities, but also incredibly well selected and dedicated staff.
And, rock legends in the elevators are pretty cool too.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

The hotel was very nice. It can be seen from a distance and I was surprised by the cute beach we had access to. My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time. The hotel rooms are quite spacious and our room had a beautiful view of the water and beach. I was not particularly keen on the open bathroom concept, but have found it in several W hotels. This was the only drawback I found for the room.
We dined at all the restaurants and had a wonderful meal at BRAVO, the Michelin star restaurant. The staff was exceptional and very attentive. Our breakfast at WAVE was made exceptional by the staff and in particular a young lady named Natasha (Nattie). She was friendly and was always smiling. She made we had everything we needed and was attentive to get fresh juice and coffee for us. Numerous patrons commented on how she was so delightful to see each morning.
The hotel is very lively and there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Barcelona. Our trip was low key and we wanted to take in the tourist sites. The hotel is a bit more removed, but a quick 5 minute cab ride would take us to where we needed to be. We loved our stay and will come back to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wbarcelonahotel, Director General at W Barcelona, responded to this review, 18 November 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your feedback with other travelers concerning your recent stay at W Barcelona in August. It is very important for us to know both the aspects in which we do well and the ones in which we need improvement and thus, keeping us on our way to excellence. Therefore, I am most grateful to you for letting us have your experiences.

We were delighted to see that everything was to your satisfaction during your stay, and that your overall impression of the hotel and talents was a good one. Please be assured that I have already forwarded to our Beverage & Food Manager the positive comments mentioned on your review concerning Natascha from WAVE Restaurant. It is always a great encouragement and motivation for our teams to hear about guest satisfaction which is our main concern.

Sir/ Madam, it has been our pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to welcoming you to W next time your travels bring you to Barcelona.

In the meantime, assuring you of my utmost care and attention at all times I remain,

Yours sincerely,