“great hotel for handicap travelers”

Hotel Praktik Rambla
Ranked #68 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
San Diego, California
“great hotel for handicap travelers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

We booked the hotel based on reviews and quick response from the hotel regarding accomadations for handicap travelers. We are a family of 7, booked two rooms prior to our 10 day Disney Cruise.
Entrance: Very charming and has a ramp, so not a problem at all for wheelchairs.
Location: Close to Plaza Catalunya (5-10min walk), but not in busy, nosiy area like off La Rambla. Many great restaurants right out the door, don't miss Ciudad Capital for excellent tapas.
Rooms: My husband and two small children (age 1 and 4) fit comfortably in a standard room with a king size bed and small couch. Room was small, but clean and bed was comfortable. The rain shower is amazing, they provide hair dryers in every bathroom. We also had wonderful view from our balcony. Airconditioners worked fine in every room.
My parents and younger sister stayed in a handicap room which was HUGE (even for american standards)! There was a roll-in shower and the toilet was an appropriate height for my father's rolling shower/toilet chair, the large bathroom was very easy to maneuver around. In addition,they provided an extra full size bed for my sister. No problems at all for my father who is completely wheelchair bound, plenty of space...probably triple the size of a standard room. The Lift is small, but still not a problem for my father.
Decor: Primarily black and white, modern and elegantly simple.
Cons: the hotel lobby is tiny, but that can be a good thing...no lines. There is no bell hop (but the staff were very helpful in assisting us with our bags...tons with small kids and one handicap traveller), and no ice machine, which is sometimes useful in hot weather.
Overall Impression: beautiful boutique hotel with a lot of charm. Would definitely stay again when back in Barcelona and highly recommend this hotel for travellers in a wheelchair (especially room 409).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

I knew that I was coming Barcelona but I hadn't booked a hotel yet there. My booking at Praktik Hotel was last minute and I ended up getting an amazing deal also. The room is very clean and the bathroom is amazing, it felt like you are in a spa. The hotel it self is beautiful. The room I was in was small but if you are there for vacation you shouldn't be in your room. The bed is comfortable! The staff is very helpful and the location is great. When I go back to Barcelona, I will be staying at this hotel again. I was there for four days and if you are going to go around Barcelona, I highly recommend the Barcelona Card which allows you to ride the local transportation for free and gives you discounts and free entrances to many museums and attractions in Barcelona.

Also the hotel is 15-20 min. from the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Praktik Rambla and I would rate the hotel highly overall. Although very small, the rooms were very nicely decorated, were well equiped and the beds were extremely comfortable.

Staff were helpful and facilities were good which included free wi-fi.

The only negative was the incredibly poor breakfast offered by the hotel at the Piscolabas restaurant next door which was an absolute rip off. We paid at the time of booking for breakfast and received a voucher which entitled us to either an "English Breakfast" (2 small rashers of bacon, one fried egg, one small juice and one small tea or coffee), a "Continental Breakfast" (one croissant, one tiny sausage roll, one small juice and one small tea or coffee) or a "Healthy Breakfast" (a small bowl of muesli, chesse and ham sandwich, one small juice and one small tea or coffee. Avoid this as there are plenty of better places to get breakfast in Barcelona.

Otherwise excellent and would certainly recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at Hotel Praktik Rambla for two days before taking our honeymoon cruise. The hotel has a great location in the heart of Barcelona. From where we stayed, we could easily walk to the subway, restaurants and numerous stores. The staff was also very friendly, but, we found the amenities to be rather limited. So overall, the value seemed to be average at best.

The room was very clean and the air-conditioner worked well. The television does in fact pick up several English language channels. There are no tissues in the room. We were disappointed that there was also no iron in the room, but understand that they do not supply it as it is a fire hazard.

The wi-fi works great. You need to request a username and password at the front desk. Over the two days, it never failed on us.

We originally called to ask for a room with a balcony and even paid an extra 30 euros. However, on arrival, we did not get a balcony as originally promised. We were too tired from our long flight to complain or ask for a change.

We also purchased the breakfast option at the Piscolabis restaurant. The food options there are not the best. Plenty of other options are available within walking distance of the hotel.

If you are taking a taxi from the airport, do expect the driver to get lost. There is another hotel in Barcelona called "Prakitk" and they may take you there. We provided our driver with the proper address and intersection, but he still got lost and drove us in circles and took us to the other Praktik hotel first.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johnlu2
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Very good address with polite and helpful staff, great location (very central), nice lobby & terrace at the 1st floor, no noise if your room is on the courtyard side. Even if the rooms (at least our) are little, they are really cute and provide all the necessary: AC, free Wi-FI, flat-screen TV, real hairdryer, great shower...
If I come back to Barcelona (I will for sure) I'll turn back to Praktik Rambla without a doubt!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Amman, Jordan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

The hotel is in a very good location that is quite close to La Rambla and Plaza de Catatunya where most of the sightseeing tours start.
However, the hotel lacks the following which I believe that are basics in most of the hotels regardless of the star rating:
1. No mini bar
2. No restaurant or food service in the rooms in the hotel
3. All the TV and Radio channels are Spanish or Catalan. No single English channel is available
4. No iron board or iron machine available.
5. No tissue boxes. The receptionist told us to use toilet paper for our face.
6. No shower cap
7. No hair conditioner
8. The service in general is terrible: It took us more than 3 hours to check-in.
9. In the hotel restaurant next door "PISCOLABIS": The service is very very very bad and the food quantity is so small and poor.
10. The air condition in the room is split unit that stops all of a sudden in the middle of the night.
11. The wireless internet is terrible. It always disconnects after couple of minutes.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank tareq74
praktikrambla, Gerente at Hotel Praktik Rambla, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Dear Guest
I would like to appologise if what you found in the hotel is not what you were expecting, let me please explain you the Praktik concept:

Praktik works thinking about what the guests needs to pay or not, In Praktik we believe that the hotels charges for services that at last the guests don't use, and we bet for an amazing location, huge beds, high design rooms and very good cleaning. We are the cheapest hotel in our area always, and that is because we don't need to recover any inversion you might not use.

The Piscolabis restaurant beside the hotel is not run by us, so I would like to appologise for the treatment, and internet connection should work perfect always, so I do appologise for that.

I would like to invite you again to come to our great hotel and make sure you spend a great time with us.

Best regards
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

The hotel is located right on La Rambla in a section called Rambla de Catalunya. It will cost you about 25 euros to get to the hotel from the airport in a cab. There is a bus station and metro station a couple of blocks from the hotel at Placa de catalunya if you want to save some money and dont mind the adventure.
The room is rather small. As soon as you open the door you have to side step to get in b/c the edge of the bed is there. However, we did receive housekeeping every day and the room was clean and well kept. And as we spent little time in the room except to sleep and shower, I think it was adequate for our needs. I thought it was strange that they did not have an iron and when I inquired about it they told me it was a security risk. Wifi is provided free of charge in your room if you have a laptop but you need an adapter if you are coming from the US. The adapter we had didnt work to charge our computer but we were able to log onto the internet on the 1st floor free of charge.
There is one elevator but 2 people can easily fit with their luggage.
We did not eat breakfast at the hotel so I cannot speak to that. Breakfast doesnt seem to be a big deal in Barcelona but if you want something hot u can go next door to Piso labis I think its called (red awnings on the tables) and they make fried eggs and toast or Happy Bar and Grill a couple blocks away has a simple hot breakfast. You also get a 10% discount at some of the surrounding tapas restaurants. When they give you the room keys its held in a card that states on there which ones.

Try Sangria de Cava if the restaurants have it. very refreshing.

We went to Pla which was a very good restaurant
Con Gracia which was also good but a little pricey

We did a lot of walking and skipped the transportation pass b/c we wanted a different experience. The hotel really seemed to push getting a taxi to go to restaurants but we enjoyed the walk and mostly places were only 20 mins away. We used our maps and they will make reservations for you. If you ask how to get there they printed out a google map that showed which way to go and they will explain it. Just ask for the map to be printed out

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple