See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I booked a single room for 3 nights (£88). If you are not to proud to use shared bathroom facilities and just need a crash pad then this is perfect, great value, clean and accessible 24/7. It's also away from the hustle and bustle of central BCN. Rooms are basic but you do get fresh towels and linen each day. What more do you want?

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2016

I did not expect more from one of the cheapest pensions in Barcelona. Picked it for its excellent location, at the heart of Gracia, not far from Casa Milá and Sagrada Familia, well connected with a nearby subway station and many buses that pass by. The pension in itself was very old, placed on the third floor with a narrow staircase and no lift. So it could be troublesome if you're travelling with heavy luggage. The receptionist that received us was all but lost, was extremely slow and definitely not amiable,did not locate our reservationat first, then mixed up our rooms, could not calculate properly the city tax so we had to do it for him, and was definitely not helpful at all. The rooms were what we expected, really small with scarce furniture and no A/C but with a small fan, but what we did not expect was the awful smell (like sewer smell). Overall, I would only recommend this pension if you're looking for the cheapest option near the centre of Barcelona.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

The location, cleanness, service and people was really good. Although the period that I was there has been summer, the fan was enough to help us with the hot weather. The toilets were so clean although they were shared by all the guests.
The only problem in this property are the stairs for people with locomotion problems is not a good option.
I recommend this!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2016

If you have mobility issues or claustrophobia this is NOT the place for you! The webpage says the hotel is on the second floor, but that is not entirely true. The second floor in Spanish is what English-speakers call the third floor, and there is an extra flight of stairs up to the ground floor. So, you're really on the equivalent of the fourth floor. You'll be toting all your luggage up there by yourself and there is no elevator.

The staff was rude to me, didn't show me around, argued with me on one occasion, and were not helpful giving information about the city. When I explained that I had hurt my ankle and wouldn't be able to get up and down the stairs, I was told there would be no refund and that I should have read the webpage and should have known there would be stairs and no elevator. (I should have known that I would hurt my ankle ahead of time, I guess?)

The room was horrible. It was smaller than a dorm room and had no window. There was a weird shuttered opening in the wall out to the noisy staircase, and there was a lot of noise in the office. Paint was chipped in places and there was a crack in the mirror. There was no air conditioning and it was hot - especially with the no window situation.

I had to get dressed every time I needed to go to the bathroom because there was only one bathroom. The shower and the tub were in the same room, so you have to wait to pee if someone is showering.

And don't let the "Bed and Breakfast" title fool you. There is no breakfast - only a vending machine that sells beverages.

I could not wait to get out of this place. It was a miserable night and, though it was inexpensive, it was not worth the money I saved. I moved to a different hotel Saturday night and that was the best decision I made the whole trip.

Do yourself a favor and find a different hotel!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2016

I arrived at Pension Norma completely coated in sweat (!) having hauled my suitcase up what seemed like 5 flights of stairs.

A nice girl who spoke English greeted me on reception and showed me to my room, right next to reception, with no window. This was the initial shock as the room (although very clean and apparently with good facilities) had no window. On one side there were shutters, which were next to the noisy stairwell, and above the door, a window flap (which was rather odd), which had a crack in it where the glass was broken.

I ignored the no window / hot conditions upon arrival, as I was just glad to arrive and shower / e-mail etc., but it was my first night it hit me! THE most awful night I've probably spent anywhere. I really did feel like I was in a prison cell. It was so hot, noisy (man on reception clearing his throat/talking to other customers + next door's tap dripping in the middle of the night) and uncomfortable. The bed was fine & everything clean, but I was sweating all night and having nightmares in and out of sleep. I had to wear ear plugs and eyeshades, and when my alarm went off at 8am, felt and am pretty sure I only had around 3 hours sleep. I felt so depressed I sat on my bed and cried, as my room was pitch black at 8am, with no natural light coming in.

I must say that I did book the cheapest room - the single with shared bathroom, but I did not realise it would be this bad.

It was also not great having to walk past the non-English speaking man who was half asleep on reception whenever I went to the toilet around 4am in my pyjamas. Not much privacy there!

I asked to move the following day, and the nice English speaking girl moved me to a room with a window and bathroom, for an extra 12 euros. I was much happier here and slept much better. It was also nice and quiet and not too hot, although not real air conditioning, so I wouldn't say it ever got 'cool'. I never had to use bed covers, lets put it that way!

I then had to move again for my 3rd night to another bedroom, again another prison cell like room, without a window, but it was fairly quiet (apart from some banging in the middle of the night) and relatively cool. By this time I knew I was going home the next day so I dealt with it.

The non-English speaking man on reception was having a cigarette on the balcony when I left and didn't even bother to say thank you or goodbye, even though he was looking right at me. He just waved at me to leave my key on reception.

NOT a good experience, nor do I ever intend to repeat it.

The best parts (if any!!!!!!!!!!!) was the nice sweet girl on reception (who needs to get a job somewhere else in my opinion, or be the boss!) and the fact the place was very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you stay here at all....
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo