“lovely hotel in good location”

Grupotel Gran Via 678
Ranked #137 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Offaly, Ireland
“lovely hotel in good location”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Lovely hotel, stayed with a group of six. Three couples. Rooms were small, but perfectly adequate. They faced over a dark courtyard area, but that didn't bother us as we wanted to be out and about everyday. Bathroom had a glass door that was only obscure in the middle, it did not allow for much privacy and I think this might make some people uncomfortable. Roof top pool was very small, and breakfast was a plentiful buffet daily. Staff were pleasant, helpful and polite. great base hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaryK1105
grupotelgranvia678, Director General at Grupotel Gran Via 678, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Barcelona. You have booked basic rooms. We have larger rooms with other rates. Our rooms are decorated in modern style. We hope you enjoyed the location, breakfast and facilities of our hotel. Kindest Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
helsinki
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Location was not SO perfect, it located a bit further from Plaza Catalunya than I expected from map. But that's my mistake...

We were upgraded and got a room with balcony on 7th floor. Fantastic views. Nice, roomy and light room. Nespresso machine. One of the cooliest bathrooms ever with flowers etc. :) Good beds. Stylish.
We were impressed, enjoyed the room.

The hotel has a pool. Very small one and with salty water. A small shower there, but the use clearly disturbed other people in the area.

Breakfast was not so diverse as an another hotel during the same week (H10 Universitat) had.
Friendly staff. They recommended a perfect tapas restaurant nearby and pre-ordered us a taxi for early flight. Friendly.

Unfortunately the aircondition didn't function in our room (it did work but it did not cool the room - as in our friend's nearby room). Two staff members visited the room, but couldn't do anything with the problem. 27 degrees is quite hot, especially when you "have a room with a/c". Are you even entitled to complain if you are upgraded? We got slightly that impression - "but you have a good room"... Which we did, indeed. Jose was friendly, but...

To sum up; a good hotel. Nothing special (if you are not upgraded), but good enough for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindb
Thank you for your review. Our hotel is located 300 meters from Passeig de Gracia and Plaça Catalunya. Our rooms with terrace are the best in our hotel. We're glad you enjoyed our rooms and our facilities. The breakfast buffet has more than 60 fresh and hot products. Our air conditioning system provides comfort temperature according to the rules of our country after a few minutes. We hope your stay in Barcelona has been nice and would like to see you soon again in our hotel. Greetings.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I spent 5 nights in this hotel while visiting Barcelona in July 2014. I wanted a nice hotel that was close to most of the city attractions and in a nice and safe part of the city as I was travelling alone; Grupotel Gran Via definitely delivered everything on my list. The staff were super friendly and kind (Big thank you to Marta and Cristina for the useful tips). It is within a short walking distance to the Ramblas, but at the same time away from the hustle and bustle. You can get to Sagrada Familia on foot as well if you're up for a 20 min walk. The shopping district is also within a 5 min walk.

They greeted me (and all other guests) with a glass of Champagne which was nice :)

As far as rooms are concerned, mine was a petite room; it was really petite, but I knew it in advance and I did not care a bit. I was comfortable and really did enjoy the rain shower head!
The only thing which was weird to me was the fact that I had to pay to use the safe in my room. but wifi was free.

I definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again if end up in Barcelona.

Room Tip: If you're tall, don't go for the petite rooms, the beds are small.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hedi M
Thank you very much for your kind comment. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I will pass your words to Marta and Cristina. Our hotel is located in one of the main avenues of the city, near the center, but in a very elegant and quiet area. You booked a basic room. We have more spacious rooms. On your next visit please book one of our superior rooms. We wish welcome you with a glass of champagne on your next visit to our hotel. Best Regards
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Room very comfortable on 5th floor. Staff excellent, the breakfast is first class. Small splash pool and decking area to cool off. Centre to all the interesting parts of Barcelona . If I have any doubts its the bathroom which is walled with opaque glass. All very well if you are a couple but just a bit too intimate if not as when you lie in the bed the opaque glass only goes down so far so the view is just a bit too much. Fire alarm works well as some muppet smoked in their room at 1 in the morning. We all had to leave but fire exits well marked and easy to follow straight down to the street. It was all very good humoured by guests and apologetically by the night porter. They could look at taking a roll call on rooms as this would have saved the firemen a lot of bother if the fire had actually existed.
However I think they knew it was a false alarm.

Room Tip: Fifth floor, good views, quiet and very comfortable. As I didn't see any other room I can only...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel D
grupotelgranvia678, Director General at Grupotel Gran Via 678, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion. . Our rooms are decorated in modern style. For us, the safety of our customers is our priority and we have fire detection systems in accordance with the regulations. Smoking is prohibited in all the hotel except on the terrace. We are glad that you appreciated our work and enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Hope to see you soon again. Best Regards
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 13 July 2014

we booked this hotel for our summer vacation travel.
simple hotel, basic fasility. parking next door which cost 27 euro a day.
had a dinner at hotel restraunt, it was also simple and meet expecation, both quality, quantity and price wise.
nothing to complaint and nothing to give speical good remark.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank starksenap
grupotelgranvia678, Director General at Grupotel Gran Via 678, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion. We are pleased that we have met your expectations. We are going to work to exceed your expectations the next time you return. We hope your visit in our city has been equally enjoyable. Best Regards
Yokohama
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed this hotel around end of June. Arrived Barcelona airport around mid-night and took taxi to get the hotel. The cost was around 30 euro and takes 20 mins.
This hotel was more than enough for me and I really enjoyed staying there without any stress!

1---the location is perfect. It is really convenient to get to anywhere. The hotel is surrounded by many cafes, restaurants, and supermarket. Also, I could access to metro station Girona, Urquinaona, Passeig de Gracia, and Tetuan within 5-10 mins by walk. You can access to Sagrada Familia by metro, but about 20 mins to Sagrada Familia and 15 mins to Gothic district by walk.
2---Every staff at this hotels are super friendly no matter what time. They were always helpful to hotel guests. I made the reservation though one of hotel reservatio site. But, they sent me welcome email just right before my deaparture date.
3---Wifi connection is really good.
4---I have red some review about the size of the room. As solo traveler, it was big enough. I could open suit case and there was enough space to open one more If I had. Maybe glass door of bath room can be a bit problem if you stay with someone. My room had a small closet, I could put my close in, but not big enough to pu my suit case. But, I could put my suit case under the counter table, so no problem at all. Shower has both rain shower and handy shower. Bathroom is clean and big enough. And the bed is really comfy. My loom faced inside of building, so I only get to see wall of building, but I spent pretty much outside for sightseeing, so It was nothing for me.
5---Only one complain I had was....I did not want to leave there!

Thank you Grupotel Gran Vía 678. I will definitely come back to stay when I visit Barcelona!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Hoppingtheworld
Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad that you liked our hotel. The room you reserved is a double room for single use and has all the comfort you may expect from our hotel. We hope to visit again soon. Best regards.
Taipei
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed 5 nights in the hotel. From my arrival to my departure I was pleasantly surprised the continual welcome I received in Barcelona. The hotel arrival was great. The lady who checked me in was great and very accommodating to show me where the hotel was located and where I should go for food etc...
I was at the hotel for a business meeting and lunches were great in a relaxed atmosphere.
The location of the hotel was in walking distance of a multitude of restaurants and bars.
The room itself did not have a multiple plug socket so a adaptor is a must.
The hotel was clean, the rooms were kept clean, and the folks went out of their way to help you..
Overall this hotel I would go back to, and would recommend to stay.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, you need to pre order a double bed, otherwise the room will have two single bed...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We have plug adapters available to our customers at the front desk. We hope you visit us again soon. Best regards.