“Most friendly hostel”

and 1 more site!
Barcelona Central Garden Hostel
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Me and my roommate did backpacking in Europe. Barcelona is so far my favorite city! And the hostel is different than the ones we have in US. Let's admit that--most hostels in the US are cheap rooms with crappy facilities. However this hostel has the most friendly staff and they offer variety of activities for the world travelers to communicate their culture. They have front desk staff who can speak fluent English and the lady was so patient to show us the map and introduce some cool spots to check out. I wish I could go back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SeaYourSunshine

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Been here same time last year...Me and my wife stayed in this place for 5 nights, it was an awesome expereience. very nice people and helpful. Its like a posh hostel. It was fun staying in an hostel my first experience, most importantly it was a very clean place and good rest rooms even though they are shared. Really good crowd as well. Easy to locate and a metro station nearby. I thourougly enjoyed staying in this place and will surely come back here. We bought some stuff from the local super market very closeby and made some food....total fun!

Room Tip: it may be a little expense as its a hostel, but go for it....zero headaches :)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank F1_Fanatic_10
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This place is clean, has a good sense of community, the staff are AMAZINGLY friendly and helpful, and it was quiet for sleeping, and has lovely cozy facilities. It's also really nicely located in the CBD - close to key attractions so you can walk everywhere or easily catch transport to those sites further out of town. It's ideal.

The best bit is the staff & their service. This was our first stop in 12 months of travel. On the second day, I had my handbag stolen by a cunning thief when out in the city, and the BCG key and details were in my bag. Despite being adversely affected with security, the staff gave great advice for navigating the police, were crucial in me finally being able to cancel cards after working for 30 minutes with me to solve this issue, and then, after I probably appeared a little worse for wear, served up homemade paella, leftovers from a paid paella night at the hostel, and made me tea. The couple who run the hostel were nothing short of supportive - and even tried to visit us the next day, encouraging us to attend a tour and have a more positive experience in Barcelona. They genuinely cared and it made all the difference.

There were many examples of this hospitality and generosity we experienced during our 1.5 weeks at this hostel. ie. When we arrived at 8am after a 21 hour flight, there was our room ready and waiting - -which we didn't expect. It has a homely feel, and despite lots of organised events there isn't a crazy party atmosphere inside the hostel. The lady who runs it took every opportunity to introduce us to fellow travelers, whenever there was a common interest or travel destination. She seemed to take pleasure in connecting people.

As good as the staff are, the hostel is equally great in other areas - clean, good facilities, quiet. We're headed back to Barcelona this year and we fully intend to stay here again, and have recommended it to others enthusiastically.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, facing the inner courtyard which was fantastic. The kitchen and facilit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alli_burnie
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This has to be one of the best European hostels I stayed in! From the entrance to the living room to my 2-bed room, BCG simply felt like home: secured, cosy and personal! How I wish I never step out from the hostel...

BCG is centralized and a 15-min walk to Casa Batllo. However because the blocks look identical, it may take a couple of times to be familiarized finding the hostel gate.

Extra credits goes out to the hospitable reception staffs, especially Cynthia who offered excellent directions to explore Barcelona, and Julian who was such a charming dinner host and our future Mexican president (as what he proclaimed).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank EdwardChung
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Maybe a hostel can never really compete with a hotel in terms of privacy and cleanliness, but this is as close as you get. Especially if you live in a privat room. You have 2 beds, with your own shower and bathroom. This hostel has won several awards for its cleanliness, and when you see the cleaning personell in action you can tell they are really doing a great job.

Personally i would prefer this instead of a hotel if youre traveling with friends. Because you have the option of leaving your room and go to the common area where you meet a bunch of other people in pretty much the same situation as you. Germans, Americans, Italians, Lituanians and so on all hanging out having a good time.

The only thing I can put my finger on isnt really that negative at all. The people working at the hostel are so firendly and helpfull, so whenever you ask for something they will tell you pretty much every single thing about it. For example; if youre hungry and ask for a good restaurant, youre in danger of getting a 20-25 minute presentation of all the different kind of restaurants (spanish, italian, greek etc), instead of 2-3 quick suggestions so you can be on your way. And because these people are so friendly and helpfull you end up sitting there hungry for 20min because you dont want to be rude to these nice people.

But you shouldnt punish people for being nice and helpfull, so its 5 stars from me, because you cant expect more from a hostel

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorwayPhil
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I actually wanted to move in there! Highest quality!

Awesome rooms, nice kitchen, decent comon area.
Met many people there, due to the m having nice guests and the setting to feel comfortable!
One of my 2 faves in Barce!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Dave D
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I loved my experience at the Barcelona Garden Hostel. I have to say, the staff went above and beyond to make my friend and I feel comfortable.
We had originally booked the budget room with the one bunk bed and shared bathroom. It turned out this room was incredibly tiny and would be suitable for backpackers who were only staying a night or two to crash. Since we had planned 5 nights and we were two girls (with big suitcases), the staff kindly lent out a HUGE room in the apartment above. This was so incredibly touching and nice of them. We had a lot of space thereafter, our own TV and a balcony overlooking the patio below. We also had a bathroom we shared in the apartment with a few other guests and a kitchen with a brand new fridge and microwave. It was like having an apartment to ourselves!! Everything was super modern and sleek! There was one morning where the water in the shower in the upstairs shower was cold and they immediately sent somebody to fix the situation. The staff are so kind... they made me feel so safe and secure!

This is also a really great place to meet other travelers. People gather in the reception and living room in the mornings and evenings. Julian, one of their younger staff members is so knowledgeable about Barcelona and sat down with me to explain where to go and how to get there. He also happens to have studied medicine, so when my wisdom teeth randomly started to act up on this trip, he helped me apply some numbing medicine (this guy is the man...), haha :)

I spent New Years here and the staff actually threw a pretty great New Years party in the living room, complete with food, streamers, and really cool face masks. I really felt like home in this place... I will definitely come back.

As for location, this place is located two blocks away from Placa Catalunya which is where the hop on hop off buses depart and connecting to the plaza is Las Ramblas. It is also a short walk to two Gaudi monuments and a vast shopping district. I thought it reminded me of the Champs-Élysées in Paris. Right outside of the hostel is a supermarket, pharmacy, ATM and bus stops that can take you to the Sagrada Familia (google maps will tell you which ones to take). There is no elevator in the hostel but the staff may help you to bring the bags up. You can also easily find cabs outside the hostel to get around. It's about 6-8 euro to get to Raval.

I highly recommend this place for single travelers or if you're with friends! Thank you for being so accomodating and considerate! :)

Room Tip: Don't choose the budget rooms if you have some extra money to spare... you would rather have mor...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends