“It is what it is and it is good”

Eddy's Guest House Barcelona
Ranked #111 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Hartford, Connecticut
“It is what it is and it is good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This place is no Waldorf Astoria, but it is not a student hostel either. Notice a different spelling: hostal vs hostel. In Spain, the word 'hostal' is used to describe a small, family-run hotel, typically in a residential building, often with shared facilities. That's what Eddy Rooms is, a hostal. I've stayed in hostals in Spain before, so I knew exactly what to expect.

The place was fairly easy to find, about 10 minutes walking from Plaza Catalunya where the Airbus drops you off on your way from the airport. There is also a metro station within 3 minutes walking from the hostal.

Eddy Rooms is owned and managed by two German gentlemen. Gunther, the older guy, seems to live on the premises and doesn't speak much English. He serves breakfast and brews his own rather good coffee. Norbert, the younger guy, usually shows up afte 1pm and he speaks fluent English. He is the one who gives you the map, explains about all the important spots in the city, and takes you to your room. Both guys are super friendly and nice.

Upon check in, Norbert told me that their breakfast is very minimalistic, so I had very low expectations when I went to have breakfast on my first morning there. True, they do not serve ham and cheese, but they had fresh fruit, yogurt, different kinds of breads, pastries, jams, orange juice, good coffee, and a decent selection of teas. I liked their breakfast a lot and so did many other people I met in the dining room. Norbert also told me that everyone is welcome to bring their own stuff for breakfast, which in the meantime could be stored in the 2nd floor fridge.

There are two downsides to this hostal.
1. Unless you are the Hunchback of Notre Dame or are planning to become one, you are not going to like their pillows. The pillow I had was very thick and firm, not quite like a brick, but thick and firm to make me rather uncomfortable.
2. They start serving breakfast at 8:30 am. If you are an early riser or if you have plans to go on day trips outside of the city, this may not be particularly convenient. I had to check out of the hotel at about 8:30 am to catch my flight back home, so I asked Gunther if it is possible to have the breakfast a bit earlier. He gave me a rather firm 'no'.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank stanberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This place was not initially easy to find, especially for 2 new people to the city! It took us a little while, not to find the location, but the actual door to buzz!!!

The elevator was old-school, but I love that charm about old buildings. However, it was still a pain to get our bags upstairs!!!!

The gentleman who welcomed us was extremely friendly, and gave us a tour of the place. We were also offered all the free bottled water we desired (given the water situation). We were given a room for at least 6-8 people, which was awesome given there was only 2 of us! However, that's where the awesomness ends - the room was well outdated, the beds very uncomfortable, and you could actually see through the keyholes in and out of the room (there was a door that opened to another room, with a keyhole to easily look through!). The showers were not the best, either.

On a plus side, it was a nice stroll to the main city strip, and it was close to the metro line (which is great when lugging suitcases!)

All in all, it was good for what we needed it (somewhere to drop our bags) however, we will most likely look elsewhere when we go to Barcelona next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This B&B is located on the 2nd & 3rd floor of a building. The location is excellent as in walking distance of all the main attractions in Barcelona.

Although travelling on my own I was given a double room. The room was very small and dark. The only light came from a small window facing the neighbour. Furniture was basic and has seen better times. The bed was more comfortable than expected but due to the thin walls and other guests entering at all times of the night, noise kept waking me up. The shared bathroom was clean and offered a decent shower. Free Wi-Fi works well.

On the day of departure I was unable to leave my luggage there. The German owner warned me that many thefts occurred and that the luggage was not safe.

For the price (€65/night without breakfast) there are better alternatives.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Oliviauk
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have just returned from a stay at Eddy Rooms. The hotel is good value and good location- get what you pay for. Very noisy at night as the corridors have alot of echo.

HOWEVER... We left our bags in the laundry room during our last day in Barcelona. The guy on reception assured us it would be safe. Our bags were left there from 11am till 5pm. On arrival, I noticed my coat was no longer in my bag and after checking our bags my friend and I found our items had all been mixed up so someone had been looking through our stuff. Nothing was taken luckily as we had kept all valuables on ourselves that day. As a word of warning to anyone else that visits this hotel, do not leave any of your valuables in your bags. Also, I think the same would apply for the bedroom throughout your whole stay as I have little trust in the staff at this hotel.

Felt like a disappointing end to an otherwise fab weekend! I personally would not return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank S F
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Excellent guest house (or you can call it B&B)! The German owner - Norbert (hello!) - is very friendly and helpful. He gave me a city map on my arrival and marked down all the major landmarks.
The guest house is in a very nice and save neighborhood - L'Eixample, very close to Pl.Catalunya, La Rambla, Sagrada Familia, Modernism route etc. The almost 130 years old building is one of those of Modernism style - totally wonderful, with original lift with double doors and fancy decor. You have your own key to the front door so it feels like being "local Barcelonian" :)
The single room I had on the 2d floor is just perfect if you need a place to sleep. The breakfast (bread, pastries, jams, butter, tea, great COFFEE!) is just fine and is served on the 3d floor in a room with amazing authentic terrace overlooking Barcelona roofs.
Shared bathroom was not a problem at all: spacious, ideally clean, never had to "stay in line", hot water all the time, body-wash/shampoo, towels, hair-drier....
Free of charge computer, Inet, unlimited tea/coffee through out the day at the breakfast hall on the 3d floor. It really felt as a home for the 8 nights I stayed there. Highly recommended!
P.S. the walls are very thin and some showers are loud, so for a light-sleeper it might be a problem (was not for me at all).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Svetakoshka
Zagreb
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

As the title says - on pictures it seems like nice, kitsch, quasi-Renaissance B&B, but in real life... hmmm.
Rooms are small, small as bad-cabinet-door. Stuff doesnt know anything. I think because they really dont work there but just help and stay for free few days and then other comes, and so on... but thats my opinion.
Hallway was dirty - dirt from the old dust, and some furniture in room also. You could feel old, heavy smell all around the place. It was on moments so disgusting that we didnt want to touch anything. And than the door creak, every sound that you hear, every sneeze, and other lovely noises :) ... I could write on and on... did I mention that we asked for new sheets on arrival because one was dirty...
Positive things - incredibly clean bathroom, as compared with the rest of B&B. Nice breakfast with view over the roofs of Barcelona, fresh bottled water in fridge, and great location.
10-15min walk to down town, Sagrada Famillia, Rambla...
Value for money - NO! 65 EUR is to much... if it was 25-30 than I could say so, but with this prices I expect more.

Room Tip: For that kind of money you can find much better places to stay and truly enjoy Barcelona.