“A smooth trip & a great experience”

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We travelled on the JOAN MIRO TRENHOTEL from Barcelona to Paris September 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We booked 2 First Class cabins as we were travelling with our boys aged 10 & 12. We opted for the early dinner sitting so we could see the countryside as we ate our 3 course meal, which is included in the ticket price. For us as a family it was our first time on an overnight train and we enjoyed the experience. The cabins, small as you would expect, had all that you needed and we all managed to get a good nights sleep. It was terrific to leave and arrive at the centre of two major cities, saving taxi rides to the airport, long check in lines, even longer security checks and then another taxi ride at the other end. With a shower, breakfast we hit the ground running in Paris the next morning. We would definitely do this again.

3  Thank Sam B

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Went with a group of four from Madrid to Lisbon. We booked a 4-bed compartment. It was a nightmare as the heating could not be switched off and the room was boiling hot all night long. We could hardly get asleep. The train journey is not smooth too. I didn't expect the oscillations could be that bad, mush worse than the sleeper trains in UK. A very dangerous scene was one of the train doors was left open for ventilation.

3  Thank tasertse
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We viewed our overnight ride from Barcelona to Granada as an adventure. We fly everywhere but the times of the fights were too early in the morning to enjoy the full day ahead or then too late in the early afternoon to enjoy our time in Granada. So a suggestion was made to us to try the Trenhotel. Traveling with 3 New York super sized 30” rolling duffels for our 2 week trip was the kiss of death for traveling on trains in Spain. We learned to be first on the line to board all trains to secure a spot on the luggage racks as we boarded other trains in Spain. But securing a spot for our bags in our overnight Grand Classe room for 2 proved to be a bit more challenging. As others have said, the train itself is rather sparce and dated looking. We found the hi speed Ave trains between Seville and Madrid much more modern.

When I got on the train I was clearly upset with the space- but I knew that this would be the size of our compartment prior to booking.. We did not know what where our 3 large pieces of luggage would fit. So we used the shower area to shove in 2 of the duffles with still no where to put the 3rd piece of luggage. Only normal sized carry on 20 inch pieces of luggage fit overhead in the compartment and out of the way. When the train guy came in the room he told us not to worry and that he would find a place when he made up the beds for us. Well he could not, and just left the piece standing up it’s side in the corner of the room next to the bathroom door. Between that and the ladder there was not much room to move. But aren’t we supposed to just go to sleep after dinner?

Dinner was really quite decent. I had a pasta dish and my husband had rack of lamb. There were only 4 or 5 other tables taken in the dining car for both dinner and breakfast next morning. So for us, there was no need to run to secure our table reservations.

I was led to l believe that there was some sort of videos and movies in our compartment but that was not the case- maybe we were on an older train. That's when the iPad became my best friend. We had rented a WiFi hotspot for the week so we had internet throughout the trip.
After dinner we had nothing to do so we were lucky enough to fall asleep for the night as it was after 11 pm by then. The bathroom was roomier than an airline bathroom as it had a shower, sink and toilet- all immaculate. The beds were quite comfortable and roomy. The amenities kit on the train was actually quite extensive. I did leave it on board, but it could probably be considered award winning for a train ride. The conductor person had to wake us up at 8:10 am for breakfast as we were still in a dead sleep!

Having never travelled on an overnight train I must say that it was quite nice getting into town at 9:15 am with the day ahead of us with only a 10 minute ride into town My friend reminds me that her bathroom on Amtrak in her private cabin for her 23 hour ride to Florida last week was a potty seat next to where she sat.......Flying business class on a plane is certainly more comfortable; but there is something to be said for not dealing with the hassle of the airport. Overall, a fine experience if you don’t have NY sized luggage! Had we not had the shower area, in which to shove our suitcases, we would have had a major problem. Would I do it again? I would say a 60/40 chance!

3  Thank whenzuc
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had the reclining seats on the Trenhotel Joan Miro to Paris. By and large, it was a good experience: the seats were as comfortable as I expected them to be—not a great bed but a good chair—and the service was very good. Most of my complaints are minor or not the fault of the Trenhotel, the primary one being that we bought a France-Spain pass and made our reservations for the trip online through RailEurope and this was the only leg of 6 that was wrong: my wife and I were placed in single chairs at opposite ends of the car. The conductor muddled through my poor attempt to explain the problem in Spanish and helped us get single seats across from one another (the paired seats were, of course, all taken) so that we could at least talk during the trip.

If we have the chance to do it again, I hope we can afford the extra money for a compartment: it would have been nice to have been better rested—and showered—the next morning in Paris (there was a shower for 6 euros at Gare d'Austerlitz that we opted to skip... I probably would not do that again in July!). But even the reclining seats are a good, inexpensive way to get from Barcelona to Paris—with our pass, the reservation was only $75 each, which is much cheaper than airfare and a hotel bill!