“TOPS for Value, Friendliness, Helpfulness!!”
Review of Hostal Baler

Hostal Baler
Ranked #203 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The staff at Hostal Baler is really quite friendly, courteous, helpful, and accommodating! The rooms, though small, do give sufficient room for moving about. The use of a private bathroom was a deal-clincher! Upon entering the room, the air was welcomingly fresh--the usable window had been left 'cracked open.' The room and bathroom were basically clean, though a couple long, black hairs were found in the bathroom, and one in the sheets (which were clean). There were three very tiny ants in the bathroom. The shower was small, yet sufficient! Fresh towels, as well as shampoo and body gel samples were supplied. I was able to leave my large, heavy suitcase with the reception staff. My room was away from the street; the window opened onto a small courtyard below. I slept well, tho I was there only a few hours.
The breakfast was dry cereals, pre-packaged breakfast rolls, and drinks from a coffee machine (good). Although I needed to leave at 3:30 am, I was welcomed to partake of breakfast (being gluten sensitive, tho, there was nothing for me to enjoy).
There is a Hipermarche, as well as neighborhood markets and restaurants near-by. Also rather close are metro stops for 2 or 3 different lines.
The owners were quite helpful re working with the internet--yet nothing resulted in it being available in my room. I spent a couple hours in the reception area with the internet, as well as being friendly with their doberman and chatting with family members (owners). It was like being at my aunt's, they were so friendly and open!
I will definitely stay there again when I return to Barcelona!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LightSplash

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Small basic family owned hotel, basic room, very basic breakfast, but value for it's money. Good nights of sleep, hot water in the morning, ... what more do you need if you're only a few footsteps from Plaça d'Espana, carrer de la Creu roberta or the Estaçion Sants area. Metrostation at 100 meter from the door. If you expect luxury search further, if you expect to spent a lot of time in your room search further, but if you need a bed, a shower and some breakfast in the morning you can read this ....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bert G
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night in July. Room was very clean but a little drab. The a/c worked OK but I think they controlled the temp. Some street noise filtered up to the room but I was still able to sleep. Hotel is located 5 minutes from train and metro. I would recommend for a one night stop over but if you are looking to stay longer; I have found better budget accommodations nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SashaSeattle
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I've spent only one night in a single room. The lady and the man who worked at the receptions were polite. My room was OK in size, it was clean (althought when I first came in, it appeared that previous guests were smoking, although I asked for a non-smoking room).

The bathroom and the room were very clean, there was enough hot water and barely any noise from the street or other rooms.

There was no way I could connect successfully to the WiFi network from my room (although they did provide me with the password and all), so I went to the reception/breakfast area to use the WiFi.

I left very early, so I can't say what the breakfast was like.

This was a good stay, the hostel does offer a lot of good stuff (breakfast, ensuite bathrooms in all rooms, WiFi...) but I think it might be just a bit overpriced, comparing to other hostels.

Room Tip: My room was No 22 :)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

slept at the hostel for 2 night, was very clean,good atmosphere, nice family that runs the place and a good price for people that prefer a quit place near the Barcelona sans train station 5min walk. http://www.hostalbaler.com/

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is a small, cozy hotel located within walking distance to Plaça d'Espanya, where you can find everything you need - shopping centre, plenty of restaurants, metro station and bus stations for the airport bus, and for the Hop-on-Hop-off tourist buses.

Our room was quite small, but very cozy, and the bathroom was clean. The staff was very helpful, despite their limited knowledge of English. I loved the breakfast at this place! There was plenty to choose from, quite surprisingly for the hotel of this size.

This hotel is really great for budget travellers - the value for money is excellent. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Busen
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We stayed in Hostal Baler a few weeks ago and had a fabulous stay. Great family run business, professional, but personal. Only downside was the sound from other guests coming back to their rooms after a big night out. For the price, this hotel is a bargain and well located in the Sants district, near metro's, bus stops and a great shopping street, including markets. Would stay here again for sure. Budget conscious should seriously consider this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family