“Not a great experience for me”

Majestic Hotel & Spa Barcelona
Ranked #41 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have spent one week in Majestic for business reasons. The hotel is very centrally located on the beautiful Paseig de Gracia, walking distance from La Rambla and Plaza de Catalunya. It is an elegant hotel, looking calm and refined. The Standard room I stayed in was quite small but nicely decorated in neutral tones, clean and cozy. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was a pure heaven, very spacious and well designed, with quality toiletries from Bulgari. A nice touch that I appreciated was the Nespresso coffee machine. The only downside was the lack of storage space in the room, which forced me to hang my clothes in the bathroom. I was quite disappointed but I didn’t want to change the room as it was the fourth room which was offered to me and the only one that (partially) met my expectations. People might believe that I’m very fussy and difficult to please but the only thing that I requested was a quiet room as the qulity of sleep is important to me. The first room that was assigned to me bigger and had storage space. Unfortunately it wasn’t very quiet so I requested to see another one. I was presented one under the roof, having above the window the very noisy air-conditioning unit. Then I have been shown another room (superior category), which was large, had a separate dressing but it was located near the elevator and was facing the parking (so not quiet at all…). Finally I chose the first room…big mistake. When the family (two parents + two small children) accommodated in the room next to mine returned to the hotel, my nightmare started. The kids were screaming and running around, the father was shouting at them and the mother was talking on the phone on the corridor. On top of this, the TV had the volume at maximum. I was desperately trying to sleep for more than two hours but it was impossible so I went to the Reception, explaining the situation and the begging the person on duty to give me a quiet room. The guy was very nice and understanding; he immediately found me another room and sent the bellboy to help me with the luggage. In ten minutes I was moved but it was 1 am in the morning. There were no other problems during my stay, except at the check-out when my bill was charged with various minibar things that I didn’t consumed. After discussing with the Receptionist, these were removed but not all so I had to request again until all were removed. After three changes, I finally got the correct bill. I didn’t have breakfast in the hotel but I had tapas and drinks at the bar on the roof, which was lovely, with a great view and the food was delicious. The hotel staff was mixed: while some people were efficient and helpful, others were less focused and a bit affected. To conclude: I’m not sure if I will stay again at Majestic as my experience was not a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter but the walls are thin anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Fulga D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,554)

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I enjoyed my time the Majestic Hotel! The front desk staff was very, very helpful, which was great. Also, they are located near a subway stop, so we were able to get on the subway to get around Barcelona and do our site seeing. I agree with previous reviews that the temporary lobby is small and crowded etc, but that's ok, it's just temporary after all!

Our room was nice and quiet. Note that even though we took an elevator to our floor we still had to go down/up a couple of steps to get to our room, so if you have a wheelchair you will want to make sure that you are in a room that doesn't have that.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Hotel staff were fantastic with all staff knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms were great definitely worth including breakfast. Breakfast was really good, especially the iberico ham.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bhavesh N
Reviewed 11 August 2013

A five star hotel in every sense. Perfect location, peace and quiet inside, Barcelona's most comfortable bed, a really nice roof bar, breakfast is more than you can dream of. It is expensive, but worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

At the time we stayed in the hotel they were renovating so there was a side entrance into the hotel, of course we were not advised of this prior to booking, the current lobby is tiny and over crowded especially if people have their luggage with them. Good location on the main Shopping strip and 4 blocks away from center. Perfect if you plan to take the hop on hop off bus tours.
1 block away from la podrera ( building designed by Gaudi) and 1 block away (3mins) from la basilica also designed by Gaudi.

Originally we stayed in room 840, this room had no windows which is rather disappointing for a room in a 5 star hotel. My husband found it claustrophobic but given we only planned to stay in the room for sleeping we didnt complain. The room did have two sunlight windows, however to close the blinds on these i had climb on the bed and reach the ceiling. The automated button for the blinds did not work. This was also disappointing for a 5 star hotel which we paid about $200 per night.

On the other hand, the rooms were lovely and the bed was comfortable, the hotel provides bvlgari toiletries and travel adapter for non European travellers.
The rooms are cleaned up twice per day and in the evening you are give two little chocolates on your bed which is a nice gesture. The hotel also provides slippers and robes.
the hotel rooftop bar is nice and has a lovely view, though poor service we had waiters walking past us at least for 15 mins before one bothered to ask if we were ready to order.

So why have we rated the hotel low? Despite the little things already mentioned which would drive most people crazy, this holiday for us is a 6 week, go go go holiday and the last thing we wanted to do is waste time complaining and what really meant a lot to us is having a good nights sleep.
So give us a good nights sleep and we will give you a great rating!

Nevertheless on our second night we had a visitor at 4am. Yes, a severely drunk man entered our hotel room... How?? Well it turns out our hotel room door was faulty, so with a couple of tries anyone could enter our room at any given time.
So of all rooms that this man could have entered he decided to try ours, the room on the second highest level and the last room in a windy corridor. How did he get past security? Yes we asked the same.
We then called security and my husband went out into the corridor to find a drunk man, security advised us to go back to our room and talk to management in the morning. ( Firstly i dont think this is even good enough, go back to your room? really? after what just happened?) Needless to say neither of us slept that night.. What if we hadn't woken up upon the man opening our room door?

Management were actually really good about the incident. We requested to be moved to another room as even if they fixed the lock we would not stay in that room given the horryfying experience. they moved us to a penthouse room with our own balcony and where you actually could not get onto the level without scanning your room key. The room was lovely, however, once again on our final night we were unable to sleep and given the room was directly under the rooftop bar, every noise we heard scared us. We are now in Paris and are still very paranoid about sleeping in our hotel and the fact that at anytime a stranger could walk right into our room..

The hotel waived some costs for our breakfast and dinner, attempting to compensate us for the inconvenience, but the fact that they let a severely drunk man enter the hotel, not knowing where his room was and wonder around the corridors is just not good enough. It is a question of safety and the incident took away our feeling of safety at any hotel.

How often would this incident occur at this hotel again? Probably not very likely, but what we experienced was beyond scary and not acceptable. If it had not happened even with the minor issues with the room having no windows etc, we would have given the room/hotel at least a 4. However even with the hotel sorry for the incident and their attempt to rectify the situation, we could not look past what happened and the fact that anyone could have walked into our room at any time, take all our things or even attack us.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank OandH1000
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very friendly and polite staff; Excellent location ( near Casa Pedrera and Casa Batllo and also in the best shopping area), very confortable, elegant and nice Suite. All staff speak English very well and are really helpful; high quality of breakfast. In the evening recommend the pool bar from the 10th floor for a special view over the city. Internet îs free and works very well in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a view to Paseig de Gracia, in order to see Casa Batllo which looks very nice and impressive...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria752013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Second time I have stayed here, the hotel is being rennovated, the front entrance is temporary, no indication given beforehand was anegative.

The rooms are nice and the staff friendly but there is nickle and dime feeling.

Coffee machine in the room but you have to pay for the coffee! Internet was included but on arrival only one code allowed so we could not use more than one device. To the minute after we had checked in after 2 days it stopped and you had to pay extra, parsimonious!

Also the laundry charges at Euro 10 to wash a short sleeve casual shirt seems very high.

The roof pool was nice but always overcrowded. They have another hotel without a pool and allow those guests to use this pool. Given its small size this is unfortunate.

The hotel lobby was also often crowded they seem to have large groups staying before going on cruises.

Overall I think it was ok but not great. It was much better last time pre renovations. I would look for a smaller hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple