Back recently from 12 days in Spain, including 3 nights at the Majestic Hotel & Spa in Barcelona. We arrived about 2 hours before the official check-in time and were told that our room wasn't ready. So, we freshened up in a lobby restroom, checked our luggage, and headed out for some mid-day touring. We returned to the hotel 3 hours later -- 1 hour after check-in time -- and were told that the room still wasn't ready and we should come back in 1/2 hour. We went up to the rooftop bar for a drink and came back in 40 minutes, only to be told that the room was still not ready. We waited in the lobby for another 1/2 hour before I lost my patience and got rather aggressive at the front desk. And Presto! Within 10 seconds of raising my voice, our room became available.
It wasn't a good start for such a highly-rated and rather pricey hotel, but I must admit that it got much better after that. Our junior suite was spacious, it offered an outstanding view over the busy street below (while still being very quiet), it was nicely appointed (looking perhaps newly refurbished), and it was exceptionally clean. The bathroom is good-sized, with ample counter space, a stand-up shower, a whirlpool tub, and a separate toilet/bidet room. The rooftop bar is beautiful and includes a small swimming pool, which is pretty unusual in Europe. And our interactions with hotel personnel after our initial encounter were all very positive, and at no time did we think that our same-sex couple status mattered at all to hotel staff. Importantly, the hotel's location could not be more centrally located in relation to the city's principal tourist sites.
Aside from the check-in experience, my only other quibble is that the shower water temperature fluctuated perpetually between cool, just right and very hot, forcing each of us never to stand under the rain shower when not using it to rinse. But, in fairness, we found that precise issue in nearly every Spanish hotel at which we stayed, so that may be hard to avoid.
Overall, we liked the Majestic and would stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deluxe 5-star traditional hotel in the real heart of Barcelona, few steps away from Gaudi monuments and famous Rambla. Entirely renovated, it offers excellence in service for the most demanding travelers. Rooftop terrace with panoramic view and outdoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Majestic Hotel & Spa Barcelona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Majestic Hotel And Spa Barcelona
- Majestic Hotel Barcelona
- Hotel Majestic Barcelona
- Majestic Hotel & Spa Barcelona Catalonia