“Affordable yet luxurious accomodation!”

Hotel Arts Barcelona
Ranked #55 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Affordable yet luxurious accomodation!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I have never heard of this hotel before, but from the first moment I stepped into the hotel's lobby, I was blown beyond expectation. For about 190 Euros, I had expected a 3 or 4 star hotel, but not Arts Hotel. The staff was extremely patient, helpful and friendly, the hotel's location is also pretty strategic with a great view of the ocean, the hotel feels quite trendy with its art-deco modern style, and there's free wi-fi at the lobby. My room was in the corner of the building, so it was larger than usual with double windows for view. The toiletries were furnished by Acqua di Parma which was great, but for extra soaps they only gave us Neutrogena (??). My two complaints for this hotel are:
1. The body shower (not rainshower) just doesn't work. They shoot off waters from all directions, and on my first night the cold water was not working at all, had to wait till morning for them to come and fix it. This was a common problem encountered by my family who was also staying at the hotel.
2. My family and my rooms were all charged with extra stuff that we didn't purchase/take: umbrellas, mini bar. But after a complaint, they managed to void the charges. So I'd suggest for all visitors to double check their final hotel bills upon checking out.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms as high as possible and on the corner of the building, which gives you bigger rooms...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gtahir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We have spent 2 nights at the Mandarin Oriental and then moved to the Arts.

Nothing to compare service cleanleness athmosphere are fantastic at the MO and poor at the Arts as well as the pool is ridiculus for a 400 bedrooms hotel

I will never stay at the Arts again

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Salvation_10
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear Salvation_10

We would like to thank you for chosing to stay with us at Hotel Arts during your visit to Barcelona.

I regret that your stay did not meet your expectations, please accept my most sincere apologies.Your opinion is important to us because it helps us to improve the service we offer and would be glad to talk to you personally about your experience .

We kindly invite you to contact me calling +34 93 221 1000 or sending an e-mail to hotel.arts@ritzcarlton.com.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager
Hotel Arts Barcelona
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 July 2011

The main pluses of this hotel are the location and the food. Other than that I wouldn't say it lives up to a 5-star rating - not in terms of service or room maintenance. The price for every little thing is just outrageous.

The location of this hotel is great - right on the beach, you have amazing views of the sea and the marina. It's a very short walk to the beach itself and the many restaurants that line it. The hotel's pool area is amazing, lots of loungers, then a garden area with very comfortable chairs to sit on.

The rooms are really large and lovely, the beds are comfortable, and the bathroom was huge.

I stayed here on business, and so we had catering throughout the day, rather than ordering food a la carte. The catering was amazing, the food was really tasty and always fresh.

The downside of this hotel was the service - the reception area was always busy and full of people, and the staff did not seem to cope with this efficiently. The luggage took a long time to arrive in the room. When I arrived at the hotel my room wasn't ready, so I was told that the reception would give me a call or even text me on my mobile when the room would be available - what a nice touch, I thought - except that the call or text was never made. Finally when I went to reception to ask about my room, they said it was ready and I got the keys.

I was really happy to see a Nespresso machine in my room, and would have expected this to be complimentary. However, actually using the machine would have cost me 4 euros for each coffee. I also would have expected a bottle of complimentary water, but again, you have to pay for water, and for everything else laid out in the room - such as a small pack of French biscuits for 11 euros!

The hotel's corridors looked a bit worn, the room as well. Overall the hotel needs to be updated and refreshed.

Staying in the Arts was ok, but I did not think that it lives up to what you would expect from a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Hela1
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Arts at the end of our cruise and were delighted. The service was outstanding, the views amazing and the rooms were very large - particularly by European standards. The bathroom and shower were heavenly. The exercise facility and spa is the nicest we've ever experienced in any hotel. The hotel is right on the beach and walking distance to many restaurants and night clubs. It is also a two-block walk from the nearest metro station which is very clean and easy to use. The Hotel Arts is a Ritz Carlton hotel and guests can use Marriott points for free rooms and upgrades. Spoil yourself and stay here!

Room Tip: Use your Marriott Points for free rooms and upgrades
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We went to Barcelona for a birthday trip and stayed in the Arts as its in a great location and has always been my favourite in Barcelona. Things haven't changed, except for the price of food, which seems to have gone sky high. We had a very simple burger and salad by the pool on our last day and got no change from eur70.00 (and we didn't have drinks with it) - rip off - definitely ; even if they had fanned me with ostrich feathers while I was eating it and dropped peeled grapes in to my mouth, it wouldn't be worth that much. The pool location is lovely but don't dare to leave your sunbed unattended for more than a brief swim or the staff will swoop in and deposit someone else on your lounger - beds are at a premium! It was great to be able to have a midnight dip, however, without someone saying the pool was closed because it was dark - as long as the pool isn't being cleaned, you can swim, so we did! I would still stay at the Arts again, but would make sure I took a snack with me to the pool, as unless you are Midas, those prices are madness. Rooms were still very nice, although looking a little more tired than my last visit - time for a bit of a makever maybe. Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful, so all in all a delighful stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The location of the hotel is great if you plan to spend time on the beach and the amazing pool. The hotel is nicely designed as are the rooms. Mine had a spacious bathroom. I also loved the partial sea view. However you would expect a bit more care with cleaning. Parts of the room were dusty and there were some hairs in the bathroom which were not from me. The room was cleaned in the morning but there was no turn down service.

Service in the hotel can take some time. The luggage took around 30 minutes to arrive in my room and the service in the bar was slow. There were often longer waiting times for the reception and concierge but people were very friendly once you got a chance to speak with them. I loved the pool area with the lovely towels and snacks provided (sometimes you have to ask for your basket with water and apples). However on the weekends the pool area was too busy for my liking. There were some major events in the hotel with the occasional loud music during the day and night.

Prices in the hotel are high for everything. There is a rather hefty charge for using the internet. In the room itself you can purchase a range of products including CDs. Apparently they also charge for using the Nespresso machine in the room. I have not tried it but the minibar menu listed Nespresso coffee as an item. It might be nicer to include some of those extras in the room price.

Overall, a pleasant hotel with some room for improvement.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The staff were very pleasant. A few bad experiences: luggage took really long to arrive at the room, at least half an hour. The food at the marina restaurant is simply awful. We sat at the lobby bar and no one came to serve us for 15 mins. I had to go up to someone to order our drinks.

• Stayed June 2011