“Expectations met; a great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Arts Barcelona
Ranked #50 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
the Netherlands
“Expectations met; a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

This hotel has been very well known of course for years now. Perhaps they recently encounter some competition from the "W" but they can handle it. Very convenient setting, great views over Barcelona and the sea. Good beach, and lots to see on a walking distance. Pricy but worth it.

Special mentioning here for the Marina Restaurant. They have a Michelin-starred restuarant on site, but The Marina is very good as well (usually only open for lunch by the pool but in July and August also for dinner). very pleasant staff and an attractive menu for a very resonable price. Pleasantly informal. There are not that many places in Barcelona where you have al fresco dining at a reasonable quality level (OK, lots of terraces and restaurants around of course with outside seating, but if you're not the type who fancies restaurants, publishing their menus outside in 6 languages, there are in fact surprisingly enough not that many places in B. where you can have a good-quality meal outside). Very pleasant setting.

All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank HPBKraaijeveld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (916)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

This hotel is lovely. We only ate at the Marina restaurant and the food there was excellent. The staff in the lobby are friendly and appear eager to please.

Our only bad experience was that the maid who came in to clean my friend's room took her bag of prescription medicines. The maid claimed she thought my friend had checked out because there was no luggage in the room. However, the front desk staff were well aware that the reason there was no luggage was because Iberia Airlines had lost it. Upon discovering the missing medicines, my friend brought this very serious problem to the attention of the front desk. After about an hour, the drugs were returned by the front desk personnel, but there was no explanation of why my friend had to ask for them. One would think that a maid would realize that a guest would not have left her prescription medications intentionally and that the maid would report this to her supervisor immediately.

The only odd thing about the rooms is that it was very difficult to figure out how to turn off the lights. They have everything wired to master switches on the wall and nightstand and I had to spend a few minutes pushing a lot of buttons before I sort of figured it out. Not sure I ever did.

Other than this problem, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Get one up high overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Monroe, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The amenities & service provided by this hotel can not be beat. From check in to check out, the staff of this facility did everything to make us feel at home & comfortable. The outdoor pool attendants were helpful in providing lounges & towels as well as refreshments. the room & suites have a view of the waterfront & harbor. This is a no brainer if you are visiting Barcelona.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Krimpen aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Just got back from a weekend in the Arts hotel. It was the best hotel ever.
Everything was perfect, the room, the food, the staff, the atmosphere..
Never experienced such friendly service.
My husband wanted to surprise me with a dinner for my 35th birthday, he spoke it thru with the staff, and what they did for us was amazing...
They took us to the 42nd floor and we got a private dinner outside on the terrace, with delicious food, good music, champagne, strawberry's with chocolate.. everything you dream of... It was the best night ever...
Special thanks to Yannick, Lucas and Stephane!! Thanks guys what you did for us, was really amazing!!!
We will recommend this hotel to anyone who looks for a hotel with personal care for the guests

Room Tip: We recommend the Club Room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saskia P
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I can often be critical however, I'm lost for words to describe how lovely this hotel is. I have stayed here many times and have consistently recieved the same excellent levels of service. The Club room was superb (as usual), and my apartment was fantastic.

Can't fault a thing and I can't wait to come back

• Stayed August 2012
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We had a top notch experience at the Hotel Arts--location on the waterfront and harbor is excellent, staff is friendly and very helpful in supplying information and making recommendations. The decor is beautiful and there is plenty of staff circulating to meet any conceivable need. The pool area is fabulous and beach access is close and easy. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank annaperon
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed in this Hotel twice, most recently in June.
I love this hotel because it is located near the water and because of it modern architecture, BUT some of the personnel espesually the cleaning crew needs training.
My first disappointing experience was during check-in. Lovely girl who was checking me in inspected my American passport & then gave me a paper to sign confirming my country of residence as Russian Federation...She did not appologize for this mistake but tried to come up with some excuse.
I made my reservation thru Amex Leading Hotels of the World but she did not mention any of the amenities that come with this program. When I asked about room upgrade she tryied to convince me that the room I was getting and paid for IS my upgrade. I was able explain to her that she was wrong again but did not get an apology.
The room was nice, but not cleaned well - there was a layer of dust on light switch board by the bed; there was a piece of candy on the floor by the bed & the comforter had a big wine stain.
I woke up my first morning from a forceful knock on the door - it turned out that one of the maids was looking for her cooworker. She thought "it was OK because I did not have "not disturb sign" on my door".
I have complained about all of othe above to the manager & went sightseeing.
When I got back I found a latter from the manager apologizing for the incident & chocolate plater in my room which was very nice...however the room did not get cleaner & I woke up next morning because a group of maids had very loud conversation in front of my room next to "do not disturb" sign.
The food & service in all restaurants were good.
Breakfast was very good.
Wi-fi is not free and connection is weak.
I hope that hotel management will read this review and take nessesety steps to remedy the situation so I can stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ny_sv
HotelArts, Gerente at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear ny_sv,

It has been brought to my attention that your stay with us was not at all up to your expectations and that you faced several shortcomings, during check-in and with our housekeeping service, throughout your time with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for this issue.
I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally in order to follow up. If you would be so kind to write me an e-mail to hotel.arts@ritzcarlton.com and tell me how I can contact you, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal call or e-mail.
I truly appreciate your time and feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

Brunella