“Are you kidding?”

Ranked #65 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am not sure how this hotel gets all these great reviews. I visited in June and while I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff I was shocked by the incompetence. First after arriving late, (because the half hour trip from the airport took two hours), our adjoining rooms still were not ready!!!. We were told it would be 30 minutes and after an hour and a half I called the front desk and they said they "forgot" to tell me the other room was ready. Unfortunately we could not close the doors between the two rooms because the lock wasn't working properly. This in itself would have been no big deal apart from the fact that room service after our first night there still hadn't cleaned the room at 5:30 pm. After calling TWICE to remind them the maids finally came after 6 pm! Water in the room? 8 dollars a bottle. Room service grilled cheese sandwich 26 dollars! The breakfast buffet was nice but cost 216 dollars for 4 people. Ice? The ice machine on our floor did not work so the concierge suggested checking other floors. We checked four floors and there was no ice machine working their either. Wifi? 25 Euros per day per room! I am not a big Ritz Carlton fan to begin with but this hotel didn't even live up to that standard. Over rated, over priced.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank travelblog3
HotelArts, Manager at Hotel Arts Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear travelblog3,

Thank you for taking the time to express your dissatisfaction here. I am sorry to hear the incidents you experienced during your recent stay with us. All our Ladies and Gentlemen strive to provide our guests with the best service and create memorable travel experiences, which was certainly not reflected in the service you received. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Although we failed in leaving you a pleasant memory of your last visit, I would be truly grateful if you accepted to discuss your experience further with me.

Feel free to leave your contact details via email at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 and I will personally return your call or message as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 July 2014

After hearing so much about this hotel I thought it only right to go for drinks and check the hotel out. As you walk along the port the hotel stands out and look very impressive. Once inside the hotel reception which is done to very high standard and the staff very friendly, we have gone to Franks bar as the restaurant was closed on Mondays, the bar again is designed to a high standard and looks the part. My girlfriend couldn't find a cocktail she liked and the bar staff were only to happy to find out what she liked and made a cocktail that she would like even thou it was not on the menu!!!!!
A beer and a cocktail 35euro expensive, but the service was to a very high standard....

Thank Jonathon Gallag... G
Reviewed 12 July 2014

One of the finest hotels I have ever stayed at. Service is excellent in lobby and restaurants.
Location is unique, right next to the beach and Olympic port with plenty of walking areas.
Rooms were large and well appointed, with terrific views. Easy to get taxi, metro, and bus to city center. Would love to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Fred B
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The issues my fiancé and I had at our recent stay at Hotel Arts (HA) in Barcelona? Too many to list. And it’s a shame as Barcelona’s a beautiful city with much to offer. That our stay came at the end of an otherwise memorable trip throughout Spain was even more disappointing.

We made our reservations via the AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts (FHR) program, a program we’ve used in the past, in part because we trust that hotels in the program have been vetted and in part due to the amenities that come with a typical stay. Unfortunately, our stay didn’t pan out as planned.

Here’s a rundown of the issues we experienced:

1. Check In: Normally the opportunity for a hotel to set the tone of the overall stay for their guests. At HA, when we checked in the woman at Reception failed to mention anything about the AMEX Platinum FHR program or anything in connection with an upgrade, which those booking via FHR normally receive if rooms are available. When we were shown to our room and realized that it was the same category of room as our reservation we reminded the front desk that we booked FHR. In response, we were told that no upgrades were available. Yet when we checked on the hotel website for availability the particular days of our reservation room upgrades were clearly available to the general public.

2. Internet: The average 12-year probably old has better Wi-Fi connectivity in his/her bedroom than HA provides to its guests. The experience was akin to playing telephone with two tin cans and a string tied between them. That HA has the gall to charge its guests 25 Euros per 24-hour session for internet access is beyond ridiculous. We dealt with several managers before we got confirmation that Internet charges would be removed from our bill at checkout. (Note also that at checkout we had to ask for the $85.00 food & beverage credit that typically comes with an AMEX Platinum reservation. They didn’t get that right either.)

3. Event Tickets: Shortly after our check in, my fiancé spoke with a concierge about procuring tickets to the Barcelona opera, one of the most famous opera houses in Europe. Note that problems with the concierge desk were a recurring theme on this stay. My fiancé wrote down the name of the performance, the time and type of seating desired. She was told that the desk would be in touch. When we returned later in the day there was no info. regarding our request, and we were told that the hotel would not be able to help us. When we asked to speak with a manager, the manager on duty took my fiancé to the Business Center to order tickets off Ticketmaster.es, Spain’s version of Ticketmaster. When she attempted to purchase tickets on the website, however, no US credit cards would work. We were only able to purchase tickets after I located one of my European chip-and-PIN cards I fortunately had with me on this particular trip. Ultimately, we wasted over three hours trying to reserve opera tickets. One would assume that the hotel had received requests for opera tickets in the past, so I doubt this was a novel request.

4. Dinner: I still can’t believe this one. When we went to the concierge desk around 8:00 pm our first night we asked for dining options within walking distance. We were told that nearly all options save one had kitchens that closed at 8:30 pm, which seemed odd given the typical late dining hours in Europe. When we walked down to the waterfront, we found that in addition to the concierge’s recommendation a range of other options were also serving dinner. And many of those options were better than the concierge’s recommendation. When we returned we complained to the manager on duty. He told us, in effect, that getting good concierges was a challenge and that he’d offer us a free lunch. We never used the free lunch as we didn’t see it as a way to resolve any of the problems we’d encountered thus far.

5. Sagrada Familia: The morning of our last full day in Barcelona we again took a chance with the concierge desk for information on the Sagrada Familia, or the great unfinished Gaudi cathedral in the heart of Barcelona. The concierge took out a map, highlighted the route to the cathedral and sent us on our way. Upon arrival at the cathedral we discovered a line which spanned for blocks just to purchase tickets. The concierge had never advised us of the need for tickets. As a result, we weren’t able to get inside the cathedral. Upon our return we again complained to the manager on duty. She came up to the room and apologized and confessed that the HA did have the ability to purchase tickets to the cathedral for its guests and that we should’ve been advised as much.

6. Room Service: Just to round out our visit, we had a hiccup with room service (where the food itself was fine). The night before our departure I filled out one of the doorknob menus to pre-order breakfast so we’d be off to the airport in time the next morning. I deliberately noted that we needed not one, not two, but three pots of coffee (my fiance’s a coffee junkie), and three servings of milk. But when breakfast arrived the next morning we had three servings of milk, three cups and saucers and one pot of coffee. Obviously not applying logic or following my written request down there in the kitchen, but that’s what we got: 3-3-1. Nevertheless, the room service bill said they were charging us 30 Euros, or 10 Euros a piece, for three pots of coffee. So we had to get the otherwise polite room service person to correct the mistake. She came back with a slightly larger (though by any standard small) pot that she claimed held the equivalent of two pots. By then we were too flabbergasted to argue and were on our way to the final checkout.

In sum, I can only wonder how on Earth a place like HA ever made the AMEX FHR list in the first place. Certainly they don’t deserve to retain that status based on our experience. The staff were largely young, and polite, but all too often they were a day late and a dollar (or Euro) short. Again, can’t say enough how beautiful and interesting Barcelona is as a city. But can’t say much at all for HA.

9  Thank Jonathan K

Dear Jonathan K,

In the first place, I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your dissatisfaction with this extensive review on the platform. Feedback is extremely important to us and help us take the necessary actions to correct our mistakes and prevent them from happening again.

I am very sorry to read that we failed to offer you the finest experience you deserved, as do all our guests. I terribly regret that you left with a bitter memory of our hotel, due to the several difficulties you encountered during your stay with us. Please allow me to send my most sincere apologies.

I completely understand your disappointment and I would be truly grateful to have the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you, in order to make immediate adjustments with the teams involved.

You may contact me and leave your contact details via email at hotel.arts[at]ritzcarlton.com or calling +34 93 221 1000 and I will personally return your call or message as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Brunella Zinato
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 July 2014

There are many pluses and a few minuses to this property. Pluses are location on the beach and marina. Views are spectacular. We were are on 24th floor and the views on the beach side were better than those on the marina side, but either one will do. The room was spacious and comfortable. First class all the way. Oversized incredibly comfortable king sized bed. Lighting and retractable blinds were able to be controlled from bed side night stand as well as on the walls. The bathroom was beyond our expectations and had an amazing 3 head shower, sunken tub, beautiful tile, well lit, plush towels, high end toiletries and very roomy. The pool, hot tub, pool area restaurant and bar were all top notch. Amazing service provided by very personal and attentive staff. The food quality and the Sangria was outstanding. The hospitality and personal attention provided by Sonia, the manager, made it 5 star worthy. We can not say enough about how she treated us. Always with sincere, genuine interest in our day to day activities on and off of the property. She is an asset to the whole organization, consummate professional. Say hi from Mr. & Mrs. Jones for us if you stay there. The front desk group and concierge took care of our every need. From reservations, directions, tickets and other information Carmen( she was great), Alex & his colleagues at the front desk were engaging to converse with. We can't forget Agatha who planned a shopping outing for us. All were charming and very friendly. Now for the minuses. Make sure buffet breakfast is included, we are Marriott Platinum members and it was not available to us unless we wanted to pay $37. The Marriott Rewards room was sparsely supplied. Same thing all day, pastries, coffee, soda, water. The only improvement to the pool area would be to extend the swimming hours. It closed at 8PM, much too early for the season. Hot tub was open all night. There was only one World Cup match allowed to be shown in the bar per night, would have been nice to have the option to watch both there. The drinks at the bar probably would have paid for the cost of the games. The elevators were not convenient. The elevator stopped at the lobby and then another elevator was required to use to exit the hotel to go to the beach or elsewhere. So returning from the beach you needed to go through the main lobby to get to the next elevator to the rooms. Just awkward. Overall we would not let these minor points discourage a future return or recommendation. Our stay was fantastic in the areas that matter the most.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and less street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelBuddies589
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Spent six days at the Hotel Arts... beautiful throughout and very close to the beach. The entire staff was outstanding as well - especially the Club level concierges. The Club level is worth the extra cost... breakfast, snacks, and drinks throughout the day, plus higher floors for better views of the city and / or beach, plus free WiFi, and most importantly - more personal contact with the concierge staff for recommendations on what to see, do, and eat. The W Hotel is nice, too, but go with the Hotel Arts... it's by far #1 in Barcelona.

2  Thank Lansdowne10
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Very elegant hotel. It's a Ritz Carlton property. Probably amongst the best in Barcelona. Definitely worth staying here if it's in your budget. Close to metro station and near the harbor and beach. Rooms were nice and shower was amazing

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple