“Wonderful location”

Ranked #82 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This was a great location, just across the square from a cathedral, and the service was wonderful. It's also near one of the many hop-on hop-off stops. Some of the negatives were the current construction on the roof, making 6th floor rooms noisy in the morning, and that there is not handicap/stroller entry. But we asked to move rooms and were kindly accommodated. Also, they will print your attraction tickets out at reception which is extremely helpful because buying tickets online will save you from waiting in lines.
Otherwise, the rooms are spacious and clean. If you are lucky enough to have a balcony with a cathedral view it is beautiful. Wifi is spotty like every other hotel, but the air conditioning works great.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Matt G
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind words and for taking a moment of your time to share your experience with other fellow travelers. At Hotel Colón, we are committed to deliver the best possible experience while visiting Barcelona, but as you so kindly remark in your review, there´s always room for improvement.
We have taken note of the recommendations and comments you mentioned above, and passed them along to department in charge so they can take proper action in the matter.
We would love the opportunity to welcome you back next time you visit Barcelona. Please don´t hesitate in contacting us in advance, so we can arrange and honor any special request.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Turkish first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We made a one night reservation at Regencia Colon Hotel - the sister hotel to this one - about a year ago before boarding a cruise ship for a Mediterranean cruise. Upon arrival the desk clerk told us we were being upgraded to the Colon across the street. Normally this would have "bugged me", but I had read on line that sometimes this happens and the Colon is the better of the two hotels...so I was fine with it! :) We were very surprised to find they booked us in a room with a full terrace...very nice! The other side of the floor had rooms overlooking the Cathedral but only with Juliet balconies, so all in all the terrace was a better amenity! This hotel is well situated in the Gothic Area. We walked to Las Ramblas and went to the Food Market for breakfast and picked up wine at the grocery store (Carrefour). The taxi from the airport was around 32 Euros. We took a taxi to and from Sagrada Familia and it was 10 and 7 Euros respectively because of traffic. The port is close by but we made the mistake of having the front desk call a taxi as we needed a minivan since there were 4 of us, plus luggage. Apparently we were charged from wherever the taxi began the travel to pick us up...and it was 32 Euros, when it should have been around 10, as it wasn't any further than our drive to Sagrada Familia....live and learn! If we find ourselves back in Barcelona in the future I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again...highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MBRECED
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hotel Colón and for your kind feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and facilities.
For any leisure traveler interested in a long or a just-passing-by visit to Barcelona, our hotel is definitely an excellent choice: we are located in the downtown area, only minutes away from shops, restaurants and many other hotspots.
If you find yourself planning your next stop-over in Barcelona, please don't hesitate in contacting us. We would love to have you back as a guest!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent three nights at the Colon Hotel after a cruise. Walking in the lobby you had the impression of an old movie set. Very beautiful chandelier and sparking marble floors.

Eva, was very friendly at check in, We were traveling with another couple and arrived too early to check in. They let us store our luggage in a secure area. We walked across the plaza to view the Cathedral. The Colon is located in the Gothic quarter. After spending time in the Cathedral we found our rooms ready.
We had lunch at the hotel and liked the atmosphere. Food was good, my only suggestion was that the sandwiches could have been on the wonderful bread that they served the next morning at breakfast.

The room had a very large bathroom which was immaculate..they had wonderful bathrobes if you wanted to use them. I would definetly go for a room with a view. The French balcony is very nice.

We enjoyed the complimentary Wi-Fi and Conchita at the front desk gave us the adaptor that we could use. She was very helpful as well as Gregory. We liked the large room to the right of reception for e-mailing. It is also available if you want to relax and play a card game.

Carlos, was a life saver. My leg pain was keeping me from seeing some of the sites and he arranged a wheelchair for me. That was very kind of him.

Leticia, explained the room situation and was very informative. She also gave us some good choices for dining.

Breakfast was included and you had numerous choices from eggs, cereal, cold cuts and cheese, excellent fresh baked bread, dried and fresh fruit. Lovely room on the lower level of the hotel. Freshly squeezed orange juice and expresso coffee.

My only suggestion would be to place another mattress over current mattress.....they were a little hard.

They have wonderful access to the hop on off lines both the red and blue line within a block of the hotel.

Be sure and try the bike tours where you ride in what resembles a rickshaw with a very informative driver. You are taken places that larger buses can't go. Well worth the money. Leticia suggested them. They are directly across the plaza from the hotel.

Really was a great place to stay and the people were all very friendly. Looking forward to visiting them when they have their spa finished on the roof.

Room Tip: Be sure and get a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank marshalnk
ColonBCN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Colon Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for making our hotel your choice of hotel during your stay in Barcelona, and for taking the time to share your opinion and impressions with fellow travelers.
We are always welcoming of positive feedback, just like yours, as they help us know we are on the right track to fulfilling our goal: to deliver the best possible service to our guests, so that they can live and unforgettable experience while with us.
We would love to have you stay with us next time you are in town, so don´t hesitate in contacting us in advance!

Best,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 night a couple of years ago, the hotel is in a perfect location to walk around Barcelona their is many restaurants and coffee shops just a few steps away and the hop on hop off tour bus has a stop right outside the hotel which is very handy for sight seeing... the beach is about 10-15 minuets walk too.... my room was on the small side but I just booked the cheapest room.... My only complaint with this place would be that when I was checking out I accidentally left my expensive headphones at reception when I got back to my girlfriends place in Germany I called them up and asked if they had them and they did... they told me they could send them too me but I would need to fend them money before they did... Now I know it was my fault that I left them, but for me considering I was a costumer that just paid them like 400 euro it would have been nice for them to say don't worry sir, we will cover the 7 odd euro it will cost to send them too you.... to me that is good business.... most top hotels I have stayed at would do things like that to make their costumers happy..... It is the little things that make a good business a great business...... Know what I mean?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest:

We´d like to thank you for staying at Hotel Colón. Although we are happy to learn that you appreciated our team’s efficient and friendly service, we are sorry to hear that we haven´t met your expectations.
We´d like you to know that we will be taking care of some of the points you highlighted in your comment and that we would to have the opportunity to show you the improvements next time you are in town.
Please don´t hesitate to contact us in advance for you next trip so we can arrange any special request.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very nice hotel with a lovely view of the cathedral in the gothic quarter. People at the front desk very helpful for the most part. Room and bathroom was very nice, clean. Wasn't an overly large room for a triple almost like they took a double and added a bed in a corner next to the balcony door. But nicely appointed in furnishings and very clean. Wifi I didn't have any issue with it being slow - worked fine for us. One odd issue is when you opened or shut door the ceiling tile above the commode would rise and plop back down. Sure this was due to the ability to get to the pipes and stuff just very odd. there was a door you could shut to the bedroom area which blocked out the noise of the hallway which was very nice. Balcony was nice but hard to open door due to placement of the 3rd bed and suitcase. If it had been a double it would have been much better. Nice robes provided for. Breakfast was included in our room rate and I was very happy with the selection fresh sliced fruit assorted breads, eggs, decent quality cheese etc. and believe me after traveling through spain and italy this was a very nice breakfast with fresh fruit not canned or dried or whole. Fresh squeezed orange juice I could become addicted too so good. Very nice coffee machine. I was very happy with the breakfast selection and like I said after traveling through spain and italy having good quality fresh fruit, cheeses and fresh breads and fresh squeezed orange juice was very very nice. Great location

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your stay at the Hotel Colón and your explanatory feedback. We are most thankful for constructive reviews for they allow us to enhance our understanding of our guests' needs and wants.

We look forward to accommodating you again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very good location in the gothic quarter, super nice people at the front desk, very helpful. Very clean, functional rooms, with an outstanding view from the balcony, wifi was very slow but not used much. The rooms are a bit tired and in need of updating but overall a very good stay. Breakfast was very basic and IMO expensive compared to whats available within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your stay at the Hotel Colón and your kind feedback. We are most thankful for constructive reviews for they allow us to enhance our understanding of our guests' needs and wants.
For any leisure traveler interested in visiting Barcelona's many cultural and tourist attractions, our hotel is definitely an excellent choice, you´ll find Las Ramblas just a few minutes away, as well as many restaurants, bars and shops.
We look forward to see you again on your next trip to Barcelona.