“Very stylish hotel in fantastic location”

Hotel Ohla Barcelona
Ranked #51 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This was our second trip to Barcelona having previously stayed at the grand hotel central on our previous visit. Naturally we compared the two and my husband preferred GHC whilst I preferred Ohla. As others have commented the hotel is ideally situated on a nice road in Barcelona ( we aren't keen on the tourist trap that is las ramblas) we were greeted by the concierge and taken upstairs to the reception for a somewhat lengthy check in process! Our room was great, just a delux double so a lower grade of room but it was perfect for what we wanted and on the 6th floor so we didn't hear any road noise. We were also just 2 floors down from the fantastic roof top terrace and pool which was much appreciated in the 28 degree heat! Rooms were very clean and bright in side, very cool shower in the middle of the room. There are definitely areas that require improvement however, service really does leave a lot to be desired! It was difficult to attract the attention of a member of staff at breakfast to place an order and the concierge was permanently on the phone or busy when we wanted advice! I gave in and went to reception to ask but they were not willing to help with restaurant reservations etc! Also the pool on the roof top is a huge selling point but we were disappointed to find that the bar closes at 6pm therefore no option to have a drink outside in the evening! This is something that we loved about the grand hotel central.
Overall I would say that the the positives certainly outweigh the negatives of this hotel and we will most likely be back!

On another note, we witnessed an incidence of pick pocketing whilst in the city, I was aware that this happens quite regularly and didn't carry a bag with me! Keep your wits about you and
Watch your valuables whilst out on the streets

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in April. We chose it primarily because of its central location and were not disappointed at all - close to major sites and shopping centres, easy access to public transport, plenty of nice restaurants and tapas bars nearby, not too busy or noisy - request a room on a higher floor (eg 4th floor and above) and facing the back. Staff were friendly and willing to assist especially with suggestions for meals and tourist sites. The room was fairly standard for the amount that we paid - clean, comfy bed, decent TV, ok size and well appointed room. Only snag was the shower cabinet - it leaked water to the outside floor. Be mindful that it's an open-concept shower ie free-show for all, just glass....there are rooms with standard type shower for more privacy which can be requested in advance.
Breakfast was included in the cost; however...while there was a large spread of continental breakfast, the hot breakfast items were ala-carte and you could only chose one item from a smal selection. Not that we ate much but for the price we paid, we expected better value. Otherwise it was a decent place to stay.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

We'd staied for one day, and all at this hotel was very good. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Very modern, the bathroom is cool, and the amenities are very good.
Staff is very attentive and kind. The breakfast is agreeable.
For me this hotel is honest, and reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I just spent three weeks in Europe, and Barcelona was definitely a highlight as we enjoyed the lovely architecture and quaint streets of the city. We were equally as pleased by the beauty, style and location of this classy hotel. Lots of special touches in this hotel. In fact, the staff emailed us in advance about or preference of pillows and sheets. We loved the staff, especially Michael and Albert, who helped us find our way to an ATM, suggested great restaurants, booked our museum tickets and even told us how to get to the grocery store -- all with a smile and eagerness to help. The women who cleaned the room was very friendly and did an amazing job. The room alone was a piece of art with the elegant glass-enclosed shower separating the bedroom from the bathroom. And a great shower it was! The tapas at the restaurant were elegantly prepared and I could have lived on the bread alone. Only one suggestion -- more lighting is needed down the stairs to the restrooms on the bottom floor. Even with that, it was an easy 5 for us!

Room Tip: Our room was on a high floor which shielded the noise of the street.
2  Thank sjellington
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We booked this hotel via Mr & Mrs Smith as we were looking for a quality hotel in a good location to celebrate our wedding anniversary.You have to say that the hotel is centrally located but it is right on a busy road so traffic noise is high. The service is slick and helpful.
The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the Cathedral the surrounding area itself is a mixture of shops and restaurants some of which have seen better days or are closed hence the odd tramp sleeping in the doorway.
We never ate in the restaurant save for breakfast which was reasonable as the cooked food was only warm at best.
The rooms are high quality but due to its location the windows do not open hence you have to rely on the air conditionings for fresh air which is difficult to control in respect of temperature.
The roof top terrace is a great place to relax, get a great view of the city or take a dip. The let down was that the bar was always closed and hence no food or drink available.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel, you may not have the view but it is much quieter
2  Thank Malcolm R
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I decided to book this hotel after some extensive research to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. As it was the first time that my wife and I had travelled without our two boys in a while I had some strict criteria on making this memorable. Well I can say that Ohla did not disappoint !!!

From the moment we arrived through the grand entrance we knew this was a special place. As you enter you are enveloped in a dark black chic hallway with the concierge desk to your right. There we were greeted by Fausto (according to my wife, a lush Italian). He was so helpful in settling us and led us to the small annex on the first floor where we checked in. The check in almost like a cool living room. Ultra smart white furnishings and homely book cases all around. My wife and I spoke in hushed tones as we really did feel like we were in someones home - very nice.

I managed to get an early spring (March) deal on a junior suite. What an absolute treat ! Took the advice of others on TA and had a 5 floor suite overlooking the main street. The room was quite excellent with the same chic design and modern feel. The bathroom was a little confusing at first as it is actually in your room. Think of an open plan kitchen with dinning, instead you have an open plan bathroom with a bedroom. This makes the room very intimate for couples, but if you are planning on sharing with someone you don't know very well - perhaps this open plan design isn't a great idea - no bathroom door as such in other words !! There is of course a discrete loo so it's not all open plan.

The bed was firm and comfortable and you can actually pick the scent of the pillows - very classy touch. We were greeted with a bottle of bubbly cava for our anniversary and our arrival was complete - fantastic start.

We chose to eat in the adjoining Sauc Michelin starred restaurant. The restaurant is very small and off an annex by the reception room. You cross a little bridge over the main lobby and bar area - smart. My wife and I chose the 5 course tasting menu, as my wife doesn't eat meat the restaurant amended the tasting menu to be more seafood based. Cannot fault the service or the food, simply lush. I would say that you'll need to have an adventurous palette to enjoy the experience - not a burgers and chips place - and not ideal for children.

Breakfast was in the brasserie area with a nice open selection. Plenty of cold and warm options. I chose a small cooked Sausages and Eggs breakfast - but I've never seen such a classy serving of the dish - again the word I'd use is Chic !!!

The hotel is located right in the centre of old Barcelona - we were a 5 min walk from La Ramblas, 5 minute walk from Barcelona Cathedral and a 45 second walk from the tube station that is opposite! Because it was so close to the sights and transport, we were able to taste the best of everything in Barcelona without feeling rushed, no hassle of delays from cabs or traffic. We chose to use the underground as it was cheap and very convenient. I bought my wife and I a pair of traveller tickets for 2 days, about €29 - fantastic value.

Overall I could not have wished for a better experience. Fabulous hotel that made the whole Barcelona experience unforgettable. Well done Ohla and the team - truly fantastic !!

Room Tip: Higher up you'll avoid the street noise and bar - but if you sleep late anyway then I wouldn'...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Indian T
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This hotel is a class act - but it could do better. Its right in the middle of things and you never have to walk far to the best attractions. We didn't check out the Michelin star restaurant but dined on our first night in the casual restaurant which was a most pleasant experience. The Lady who acted as Maitre D was a superb polished act. The glass sided pool on the chill out roof terrace is nice but diminutive.Our room was good but not great. cosmetic products were not what you would like to expect from a hotel of this calibre. Breakfast again was good but not great. They produced croissants etc that to me had come straight from the freezer via the oven and were tasteless and tiny. in my book Spain produces great bread and pastry products - second only to France. it is not too big an ask to produce fresh products ! With a little extra effort this could be a great hotel. the design is fantastic, location superb, staff faultless but it is let down by the little things that were not just quite right.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family