I rented a two bedroom / two bath apartment from Aug 7 to Aug 15 2012. I had asked for a quiet apartment and was given unit 831 (3rd floor, Apt 1 which faces away from the street to an inner courtyard, compared to Apts 2 and 3 which are are facing the street, and Apt 4, which is also facing the back). With the rear apartments (which are a bit smaller than the front apartments), there is no noise from the street.
I’ll start with the good things:
1. The location of the apartment is very nice, about five large blocks away from Plaza Catalunya and parallel to La Rambla Catalunya (where there are many nice restaurants on the pedestrian walkway). There are a couple small markets nearby and two larger markets about 10 minutes walk each way.
2. There is a taxi stand in front of the building, which was very convenient.
3. The dining area (really just part of the living room) has a nice size rectangular table good for use as a desk.
4. The kitchen is large (for Europe) and is furnished with a washer/dryer and good size refrigerator, plus microwave, range top, oven, and dishwasher.
Now, the bad things:
1. The internet is very slow. You cannot watch even a small low-resolution video, such as on facebook or CNN. You cannot make an IP phone call. All you can do is basic email and basic web page loading. And you have to reconnect with the user name and password every time your computer or phone goes to sleep. It became quite annoying.
2. The elevator is extremely small and old, requiring multiple trips one bag at a time to get luggage into the apartment. It requires manually opening an exterior metal grid door and a pair of old wooden interior doors. And the elevator is not to the street level. There are many steps between the front door and the elevator. At times, people do not shut both sets of doors to the elevator, which makes it unusable, and you have to walk up and down the stairs.
3. Services are essentially non-existent. After five days, they provide you new towels and do a very superficial cleaning of the bathroom (almost a “why bother cleaning”). They did not change the bed sheets when they changed the towels.
4. The actual size of the apartment is much smaller than the pictures make it appear to be.
5. The apartment is relatively new, but is looking a bit worn and is due for a refurbishment of paint, flooring, and furniture.
6. The quality of the air inside the apartment is poor. The air conditioning cools just fine, but the air itself is stale and dry. (Our noses felt constantly in need of cleaning.) Furthermore, there is a vent in the kitchen that must be connected to other apartments and the smell of smoke was present at all times. Luckily, there is a door to the kitchen to keep the smell from coming into the other rooms.
7. Although there was no noise from the outside, noises could be heard coming from another apartments, including a child running in the apartment above (seemingly nonstop), someone singing, music, and someone working in a kitchen (klank, klank).
8. The small living/room dining room (including an area that must have once been a balcony and is now enclosed) is barely big enough for four adults—if you really like each other—but it’s really just too cramped.
9. The second bedroom is extremely small (barely room for two small, smaller than “twin” beds). It is not really for adults. And the second bathroom is off of a hallway and so the apartment is not suited for two adult couples. We used the second bedroom as a closet/dressing room and the second bathroom as the bathroom for my partner.
10. The primary bedroom is also small (but at least room enough to walk around the bed). The bed however is not an American King. It is two small beds joined together, with a length that cannot be more than 6 feet long. (We are not tall and our legs were off the bottom). The bed is way too hard and the pillows are way too small. The primary bedroom is attached to a little area that probably was at one time a balcony that has since been enclosed. There is a table and a narrow table in the balcony area. I used this as my closet and dressing room because the actual closet (which is inside the bathroom) is so tiny as to be unusable except for possibly a few-days stay.
11. The kitchen includes a rectangular table and four chairs that are not useable because they are crammed into a tight space. We pushed the table against the wall and were able to use it a place to sit groceries and laundry.
12. The utensils and pans and other items in the kitchen were quite used and worn. The pans were so dirty and not cleanable that we purchased a new skillet for our use during the stay, leaving it as a gift for the apartment.
13. The bathrooms were not as clean as they could be.
Overall, it’s a decent apartment for the money, but I would not stay there again. If you are a couple or perhaps a couple with one or two small children, and you are accustomed to living in tight quarters and you are on a tight budget, it might suit you fine. We are a couple with no children, and I would describe it as “adequate for a short stay on a budget.”
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- APARTMENTS SIXTYFOUR, EXCLUSIVITY AND LUXURY RIGHT IN THE HEART OF BARCELONA Apartments Sixtyfour are located in one of the traditional buildings on Paseo de Gracia. It is, without a doubt, Barcelona’s most prestigious street, a paradise of shops and modernist art. Our apartments are completely refurbished and have been designed to offer you room, comfort and wellbeing during your stay in the city, be it for business or pleasure. Therefore, everything from the bedroom, to the dining room, kitchen and bathroom are fully equipped down to the last detail. Ideal for both families with children and groups of friends (maximum capacity 8 people). Their privileged location means that you are within walking distance of the main tourist sites with Las Ramblas, the Cathedral and the Gothic Quarter, the Sagrada Familia, Gaudi’s most emblematic buildings or the most representative shops of Barcelona. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, HotelsClick, Agoda, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Apartments Sixtyfour reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartments Sixtyfour Hotel Barcelona
- Apartments 64
- Apartments Sixtyfour Barcelona, Catalonia